Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Valleyview, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe a small cabinet bolted to the side of the supercharger cabinet? The Valleyview one looks easily double if not triple the size.
There looks to be a right white cabinet with a large conduit entering it from the bottom to the left of the SC cabinet and maybe behind in @PLUS EV pic.
Most of the Western Canada Superchargers (recent are 6+) do have a seperate switch cabinet. My pictures from Milk River aren"t clear either (it also has 2 Tesla's obscuring it) but it's meter (and probably breakers) are on a big box bolted on the left side of the Supercharger cabinet (you can see the box which isn't quite the full height of the cabinet on the picture above).
The meter appears to be on the transformer in the same picture I mentioned above. Is there another meter in the separate white box?

Either way, these replies all seem to support my supposition that a switchgear cabinet is required regardless of the number of cabinets.

There looks to be a right white cabinet with a large conduit entering it from the bottom to the left of the SC cabinet and maybe behind in @PLUS EV pic.

The meter appears to be on the transformer in the same picture I mentioned above. Is there another meter in the separate white box?

Either way, these replies all seem to support my supposition that a switchgear cabinet is required regardless of the number of cabinets.
You're right, the meter is on the transformer in Milk River. My photos of the site were obscured by Teslas :p . On my photos it did look like something was on that side of the add-on box, but looking at them more closely it more appears to be a label or nameplate with some black markings but flat (part of the add-on-box, not protruding like a meter). I'm not going to go through that area at least for a while to get better photos unfortunately.

Reactions: Mrbrock
1699109824639.png

Better photo from plugshare. Interesting, they paved for 8 parking spots or 8 stalls.

I ended up finding a route that allowed me to arrive at my destination with 7% remaining(charged to 100%), although i had to do it without heating lol. Now im realizing im not sure how long it will take me to charge to 90-100% from a wall but it is not a short amount of time...

Hopefully the valleyview chargers open up or ill be here much longer than i expected lol 😂.

Reactions: IdaX
I ended up finding a route that allowed me to arrive at my destination with 7% remaining(charged to 100%), although i had to do it without heating lol. Now im realizing im not sure how long it will take me to charge to 90-100% from a wall but it is not a short amount of time...

Hopefully the valleyview chargers open up or ill be here much longer than i expected lol 😂.
In sub-freezing temperatures, you may not even be able to gain charge from a standard wall outlet (The battery uses energy just to keep itself warm). If it were warm, it would likely take you 2-3 days to charge from 7-90% on that type of outlet. If you tell us which town you are in, we can help you find something on PlugShare. This is all research you should have done before your trip, but since it seems like you are new to EV road tripping, we can try to help you out.

I hope you have a CCS adapter so you can charge using other DCFC. Level 2 charger is the last resort.

Here are the closest chargers to Valleyview. Good luck.
1702532530185.png

Hopefully guy got where he needed to go. I'm not taking my Y to Edmonton until either this station or the one in Whitecourt are online. I tried going through Edson and that was a gongshow and not an experience I would like to repeat. I think if it's mild the trip from GP to Edmonton is probably doable if you keep your speed below 100 but I'm not going to try again without better infrastructure.

I imagine the holdup is probably ATCO (speaking from experience), so hopefully they get things turned on soon.

Hopefully guy got where he needed to go. I'm not taking my Y to Edmonton until either this station or the one in Whitecourt are online. I tried going through Edson and that was a gongshow and not an experience I would like to repeat. I think if it's mild the trip from GP to Edmonton is probably doable if you keep your speed below 100 but I'm not going to try again without better infrastructure.

I imagine the holdup is probably ATCO (speaking from experience), so hopefully they get things turned on soon.
I did a trip to Whitecourt from Calgary in my MYLR in Nov 2022. NB: I started from home at 95%, and initially projection was I'd make it to the (then only) Southgate 150 kW Superchargers in Edmonton. Approaching Red Deer, the projection changed, and the nav asked me to stop and charge at then new-ish Gasoline Alley 250 kW charger. Then Southgate - that day, the *only* time I've had this experience at a Supercharger, it was lined up, 1-2 stalls were down, and the rest were 150 kW shared. Top that off with having to overcharge to make it to Whitecourt and back, 360 km (there are 0 L2 or L3 chargers in Whitecourt or between Edmonton and Whitecourt), I was charging for just over an hour! Even then I only had enough to get back to Edmonton by being plugged in 2 nights and 1 day constantly at L1 plugs at the hotel / venue I was at for the weekend in Whitecourt.

Yeah. Can't wait for Whitecourt Supercharger (and thankful for newer 250 kW SC on Henday in Edmonton now). The L2 and 3 charging situation on Edmonton-GP corridor and Edmonton-Fort Mac corridor is horrendous; don't know why places like Westlock, Bon Accord, Gibbons and Slave Lake have it sorted, but not those major corridors.

I don't think there's any "holdup" per se. You just happen to live well beyond the frontier of the Tesla supercharging map.

If you just bought your Y, the opening of one of these two superchargers in the coming months will just be a happy coincidence.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
@thrull1 Well, I got where I needed to go, but charging amenities up here aren't the fastest.

I'm in Grande Prairie but need to be in Calgary in 24h. I was previously just charging from 'block heater' sockets in some parking spots but thats been a tad slow.

I did find that there's a free 6kw/32a plug in the 'ama' parking lot, the only downside is that ive been approached by people asking for spare change. Currently plugged in there and 4-5h remaining till I 'probably' have enough range to get to the supercharger in Edson AB.

Unless of course someone has any confirmation of the supercharger in valleyview or Whitecourt opening? In which case I could probably leave now..

I am out of spare change so if I can leave sooner id be happy to.

Reactions: alpinehijinx
@thrull1 Well, I got where I needed to go, but charging amenities up here aren't the fastest.

I'm in Grande Prairie but need to be in Calgary in 24h. I was previously just charging from 'block heater' sockets in some parking spots but thats been a tad slow.

I did find that there's a free 6kw/32a plug in the 'ama' parking lot, the only downside is that ive been approached by people asking for spare change. Currently plugged in there and 4-5h remaining till I 'probably' have enough range to get to the supercharger in Edson AB.

Unless of course someone has any confirmation of the supercharger in valleyview or Whitecourt opening? In which case I could probably leave now..

I am out of spare change so if I can leave sooner id be happy to.
Check the tesla App. If it shows up on there when you click location and scroll the map around to where the charger should be, it will appear with a red dot and number of available chargers. If it doesn’t show up, it’s not on. You don’t need to check here or ask for confirmation. You drive a Tesla so you have all the tools you need to find open superchargers.