Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Willcox, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Making my pass through Willcox. at least now all 8 super chargers are standing multiple vehicles around looks like this one's going to be online before the end of the year like they said but looks like still much to do.

Attachments

• IMG_20171129_160648972.jpg
    IMG_20171129_160648972.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20171129_160230448.jpg
    IMG_20171129_160230448.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 184
There is always a speed at which you can make it. Just remember the east-to-west trip is uphill and (usually) against a significant wind, often 30+ mph.

You know, I’ve done that round trip drive from San Diego CA to Arlington TX via the 8, the 10, the 20 and the 30, six times in the last twenty years. I never took notice of that, uphill and in a headwind, westbound. I’ll need to remember your comment the next time I do this drive because I’m almost certain I’ll be doing it again within a few years, in a Model S75D.

Current rated mileage at 100% charge, 253 miles, down from 259 miles when brand new in March 2017.

Any December updates? I wish I lived closer to watch this key site.

Not to date. I'll be passing through there again Wednesday or Thursday need to go to Scottsdale to visit some friends. Going to take the long way around via Tucson just because driving is fun again, and with the addition of the superchargers at Scottsdale Quarter I can still turn it and get home in the same day:)

Reactions: otter
I like photos. They let us all take a look and see the latest. I passed through so I thought I’d check the progress and report. Maybe save tccartier a trip!

Photos

Attachments

• 8622FC6D-7CA5-44E0-8345-F5B419CEE7E7.jpeg
    8622FC6D-7CA5-44E0-8345-F5B419CEE7E7.jpeg
    634.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 58D8F0F8-E2B5-42A7-87E5-EACB5CB32314.jpeg
    58D8F0F8-E2B5-42A7-87E5-EACB5CB32314.jpeg
    551 KB · Views: 119
  • BD5B544D-C107-45B0-A919-C40245E30258.jpeg
    BD5B544D-C107-45B0-A919-C40245E30258.jpeg
    478.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 45D98B1B-E858-41E4-B021-7EBA9DB4DB6B.jpeg
    45D98B1B-E858-41E4-B021-7EBA9DB4DB6B.jpeg
    503.2 KB · Views: 120
  • BC23C145-627B-4888-98F5-539F7A98CAAC.jpeg
    BC23C145-627B-4888-98F5-539F7A98CAAC.jpeg
    329.8 KB · Views: 119
  • F1D378AD-BD4C-43B8-A9E4-9897BF8B2E01.jpeg
    F1D378AD-BD4C-43B8-A9E4-9897BF8B2E01.jpeg
    493.2 KB · Views: 115
  • A08F2623-80D1-4D43-A994-8E6D9D4E8F9F.jpeg
    A08F2623-80D1-4D43-A994-8E6D9D4E8F9F.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 9DBBC34C-D147-4BB4-A06D-25ADBD89DCF0.jpeg
    9DBBC34C-D147-4BB4-A06D-25ADBD89DCF0.jpeg
    459.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I like photos. They let us all take a look and see the latest. I passed through so I thought I’d check the progress and report. Maybe save tccartier a trip!

Photos

Good looking out tyl .. that will indeed save me a trip. Now I'll just take off and go through Globe, over the top of the world down through Superior into the valley today. Should be able to snag a top off charge at the Scottsdale supercharger. Any news on the Deer Valley site? That looked like it was pretty close to being ready to go? Haven't checked my nav lately don't use it much out here it's pretty boring to look at when it's just a single line with an arrow going across an otherwise blank screen. lots of rural roads and long distances out here.

Good looking out tyl .. that will indeed save me a trip. Now I'll just take off and go through Globe, over the top of the world down through Superior into the valley today. Should be able to snag a top off charge at the Scottsdale supercharger. Any news on the Deer Valley site? That looked like it was pretty close to being ready to go? Haven't checked my nav lately don't use it much out here it's pretty boring to look at when it's just a single line with an arrow going across an otherwise blank screen. lots of rural roads and long distances out here.
Speaking of Globe, would be nice to see one out there too.

Agreed 100%. Right now the only relatively fast solution in Globe are the 2 destination chargers at the Holiday Inn Express those are however only 40 amp but they are free to use for Tesla owners that are passers-by or guests.
I thought the destination chargers at the Holiday Inn Express were for “patrons only”. But I take it you have direct experience with them and can confirm that they are free to use when passing by. Do you need to check with the front desk before using them?

I thought the destination chargers at the Holiday Inn Express were for “patrons only”. But I take it you have direct experience with them and can confirm that they are free to use when passing by. Do you need to check with the front desk before using them?

Yes I can confirm based on 6 visits with different clientele at the front desk and phone communication with the IHG representative in this area those destination Chargers can be used by any Tesla owner free of charge. I do however check with the front desk although it is not required but I would recommend it just in case they have an inbound Patron who is going to be needing a charge that has a room reserved. Also might not hurt to check when you're inbound also in case they are actually in use by people who have motel rooms and are staying there for some length of time.

Decided to drop by Willcox anyway despite my former post saying I was going to head over the top of the world and go to Phoenix big news from Willcox had an opportunity to speak to the job supervisor on site he assured me that all connections have been made and Willcox supercharger will go live next Wednesday.

Since tyl was here yesterday the Transformer has been set and connected. It was the last piece of the puzzle:) also just happened to crossed a partial load of Tesla Model X's sitting on an auto transport right across the street Happy Days!

Had to spend a little Tesla time with him also as he had informed me that he had never had an opportunity to see a Model S in person so I gave him the Grand Tour:) he also indicated his wife has been nagging him to go check them out she thinks she may want one so of course I took the opportunity to pass on my referral code :). He had all sorts of interesting questions not only had he not seen one but he seemed surprised that he found one this far out in terms of being away from a major city centerIMG_20171206_151559554.jpg IMG_20171206_152222428.jpg IMG_20171206_151617544.jpg IMG_20171206_152157398.jpg

Decided to drop by Willcox anyway despite my former post saying I was going to head over the top of the world and go to Phoenix big news from Willcox had an opportunity to speak to the job supervisor on site he assured me that all connections have been made and Willcox supercharger will go live next Wednesday.

Since tyl was here yesterday the Transformer has been set and connected. It was the last piece of the puzzle:) also just happened to crossed a partial load of Tesla Model X's sitting on an auto transport right across the street Happy Days!

Had to spend a little Tesla time with him also as he had informed me that he had never had an opportunity to see a Model S in person so I gave him the Grand Tour:) he also indicated his wife has been nagging him to go check them out she thinks she may want one so of course I took the opportunity to pass on my referral code :). He had all sorts of interesting questions not only had he not seen one but he seemed surprised that he found one this far out in terms of being away from a major city centerView attachment 265014 View attachment 265015 View attachment 265016 View attachment 265017
Pretty Cool! That was sure fast. Have you ever had your Tesla in a dust storm out there? The 25 miles either side of the AZ-NM border on I10 can get fatally nasty.

Reactions: tccartier
Pretty Cool! That was sure fast. Have you ever had your Tesla in a dust storm out there? The 25 miles either side of the AZ-NM border on I10 can get fatally nasty.

Not yet, knock on wood generally I don't have to travel east from here on I-10 however most of the time when it gets really bad on the interstate they will redirect traffic on to the 70 at Lordsburg and Route it through Safford and then back down the 191 South picking up I-10 again near Willcox.

I have gotten in some pretty good dust and so forth but nothing that terrible yet not looking forward to having my car bead blasted :)

And of course no trip through here would be complete without a stop at Apple Annie's :) have to bring some goodies to my friends in the valley. Off to Rita Road we go :) pretty stout wind today don't want to try to reach Casa Grande from here have to bump up in Tucson so I don't have to slow down.

Attachments

• IMG_20171206_155329133.jpg
    IMG_20171206_155329133.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: otter and tmoz
And of course no trip through here would be complete without a stop at Apple Annie's :) have to bring some goodies to my friends in the valley. Off to Rita Road we go :) pretty stout wind today don't want to try to reach Casa Grande from here have to bump up in Tucson so I don't have to slow down.
Those apple pies are to die for. Coronado Winery in Wilcox isn't too bad either, if you are not in a hurry and feel like a wine tasting.
It sure took long enough to get Tucson and Wilcox on the map. Hard to believe there were only ~240 SC locations when I bought my model S in June of 2015. Hope it doesn't take 4 yrs to double the ~480 or so SC locations to 960, but even if it does, another 480 locations would be so nice.

We take the Prius out to Portal quite a bit. I'll have to take the Model S down there if I get gutsy enough one day. Some of the roads can be detrimental to sedans.

Reactions: otter and tccartier
That green electrical box almost 'transforms' this site from orange cone to red dot.

I'm thankful tccartier stopped by and checked it out today! We all know the construction crews have to be close to completion. Landscaping, lighting,Tesla checks, pedestal numbering, permit sign off's and switch throwing will finally fire this badboy up!

The greatest convince this location will provide for quick traveling the I-10 is, the short time stops. I've learned all too well that arriving with almost zero miles and supercharging up to needed miles, just saves a hoot of time.

Thank you Tesla! Thank you Holiday Inn Express!

Thanks tccartier for the ongoing updates during all phases of construction. YOUR photos have let us all watch from afar. GREAT COVERAGE!

We're close. Soon the trons will flow!! Hurray!

.....and may we all remember (along with our wonderful spellcheck systems} that Willcox has 2 ll's in it's spelling!!

...... lighting may be done?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the scouting on this location!! Now to make plans for a White Sands trip..

I'm still grinning out here... I've got a solid 40A solution at my house that's free and includes a 2012 Sig. As a loaner. Might cost you a six pack though! Lol...

Been debating getting a HPWC set up for 80A at home.. "jury is still out".

Had to spend a little Tesla time with him also as he had informed me that he had never had an opportunity to see a Model S in person so I gave him the Grand Tour:) he also indicated his wife has been nagging him to go check them out she thinks she may want one so of course I took the opportunity to pass on my referral code :). He had all sorts of interesting questions not only had he not seen one but he seemed surprised that he found one this far out in terms of being away from a major city centerView attachment 265014 View attachment 265015 View attachment 265016 View attachment 265017
Thanks so much for the update! If it does go live next Wednesday, I’ll be able to stop there later next week just in time for an I-10 trip.