TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Willcox, AZ

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest Supercharger locations' started by azred, Jul 6, 2017.

1. tccartier

tccartier Member

Anytime :) it's easy looking in on this one. I go through Willcox at least weekly most of the time it's fun to watch these things develop. I live approximately 45 miles from Wilcox. Between this site and Rita Road it will make Tucson doable for me in any weather conditions without any range concerns at all.

Now only if there were a high-powered solution in Globe or at the very least on the east side of Phoenix in the valley. Neither Casa Grande nor Buckeye lend themselves very well to traveling out of Phoenix heading due east. The crew at the Tempe service center has thus far always allowed me to charge there using the Chargers they have in their lot. Those are also 80 amp capable, so I'm glad I held out for dual Chargers it sure does help. The downside is their lot is very crowded most of the time and the Chargers are often inaccessible until Vehicles can be moved around to make room or a path to get to one. And it's only getting worse.

For those reasons I have been shying away from Phoenix unless I have to go there. it's a really tough nut to crack for an out-of-towner coming into town on a Friday or Saturday and finding an available high amperage solution to enable a same day turn around.

• Like x 2
  2. otter

otter Recovering eager beaver

That 16-stall site under construction on the north side of Phoenix should help with some turnaround trips, but you're right. It's the Globe and Payson sites will really open up travel to and from the east.

• Like x 1
  3. tccartier

tccartier Member

Yes! I saw something on that somewhere, looks like it was in around Deer Valley just off the 17. At least that would provide a known somewhat central location to add miles in short order on arrival or to clear out of town .. lol! I'm watching for it to pop up on my navigation in car.

4. gjunky

gjunky Trifecta: Solar and both cars are EVs

Yes, thank you for the pictures tccartier. The "SC Selfie" made me laugh although I was half expecting a picture of the dash showing the rearview camera display showing the SC :D

5. tccartier

tccartier Member

I hadn't thought of that ... Mwahahaha next time I'll back up to the site and snag a pic of the backup camera lol! The ultimate car supercharger site selfie.

6. David99

David99 Active Member

Thanks everyone for the updates! Can't wait for them to open

7. tccartier

tccartier Member

Good progress has been made here in Willcox :). The Superchargers themselves have arrived. Looks like the pedestal has been poured for the Transformer. Crews are working presently.
    IMG_20171106_114338388.jpg IMG_20171106_114500273.jpg IMG_20171106_114438672.jpg IMG_20171106_113603353.jpg IMG_20171106_113737199.jpg IMG_20171106_113711388.jpg

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  8. tccartier

tccartier Member

A few more, plus the promised year facing camera selfie for @gjunky lol! IMG_20171106_121253561.jpg IMG_20171106_114550891.jpg IMG_20171106_120131675.jpg

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. gjunky

gjunky Trifecta: Solar and both cars are EVs

10. tccartier

tccartier Member

Tried to get a little better one but there was quite a bit of activity around the site so I didn't want to back up and be in the way of the workers they were unloading the superchargers at the time lol!

11. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

Given the speed at which these sites are being built once permitted, I wonder what the chances of Wilcox being completed by the end of November when we plan to be in the area. Any guesses?

12. tccartier

tccartier Member

No guesses but Willcox is for all intents and purposes in my backyard. I travel through there generally at least once a week so feel free to hit me up I can always go down there and have a look :)

I'll be passing through there again next Tuesday I'll check it out then:)

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  13. tccartier

tccartier Member

No work taking place today. However these were added since I last saw the site. IMG_20171114_120923888.jpg IMG_20171114_121016126.jpg IMG_20171114_120944853.jpg

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  14. tmoz

tmoz S85D, Prius PiP

15. otter

Great photos, as always! Thanks! These show that all the needed Tesla equipment is on site and much of it is mounted. I see they have mounted the four 135 kW supercharger II units needed to supply eight charging bollards, which are in the four cardboard boxes. The tall grey distribution center cabinets are also mounted, as are the four small dry-type autotransformers, one for each supercharger unit. Folks far more knowledgeable than me think those may help boost/condition the incoming line voltage. I'm pretty sure the green box is something like a premanufactured transformer vault, which will sit where that cluster of conduit emerges from the trench. Good progress! My hope to use this site in January looks less and less forlorn....as long as the utility transformer shows up by mid-December.

• Informative x 1
  16. tccartier

tccartier Member

Saw a post this morning over on the Facebook sites that the Deming New Mexico supercharger is online has anyone seen it pop up on their nav yet? Tried to go back to the post, but can't find it now

17. Ed Trotter

Ed Trotter Member

Telsa Find Us has it red. The posting you referred to is in the Deming blog by Ahm. Nice.

• Informative x 1
  18. tccartier

tccartier Member

Good news indeed :) now I can leave my home and travel east and be able to make it into Texas. Will check the nav screen on my car when I get to it :)

19. otter

It's on my Nav and on the Tesla.com website "Find Us". Doing a little happy dance.

20. tmoz

tmoz S85D, Prius PiP

Can you make it to Midland or Ozona if you charge in van Horn? Looks like it takes 60 kWh going east and 70 kWh going west (if you go ast 0.9 x normal speed, which is not something one wants to do in west texas).