Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in California will be clogged in 12 months, unless?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And when Gilroy was originally brought online (it was one of the first dozen Superchargers in the world) it had 6 stalls and was always full, and people complained. Now it has 10 stalls and is almost always empty.

I don't know what Tesla's strategy is, or how much money they've allocated to build more superchargers or expand new ones. But the "Tragedy of the Commons" tell us that the SC's will increasingly be abused to the detriment of other owners.

I believe there should be an expectation that an owner will have their own means to charge their car and that the SC network is for "touring" away from home. That means a charger may be placed in a location which is "local" to many (e.g., a mall), but "on the road" for me, like L.A. since I live near S.F.

I think it would be perfectly reasonable for Tesla to implement a limitation on "local" charging. Something like your usage of chargers within 50 miles of your home is limited to 300kWh / year, and after that you are charged some outrageous rate for electricity. This would facilitate the situation where someone needs a charge half a dozen times a year for whatever reason in order to get home, but discourage abuse. The price of charging would have to be set so that it is not economically viable to pay at the SC rather than install a charger (or 14-50 outlet) at home.

Some will game the system by changing their address to somewhere away from their actual residence, but such a policy would probably be effective in reducing abuse to a tolerable level while having no negative impact on everyone else.

Reactions: taldric and BertL
I too feel like owners of BEV including Tesla, must consider and have available home (work, or alternative pay-for) charging options available before taking delivery of their vehicles. For me, even though my MS comes with lifetime SpC use, Tesla provides the SpC network as a convenience to me -- allowing even further range and opening-up long range road trips. I waited to purchase my first BEV (my MS) until the SpC network was robust enough making the road trips I take a possibility. Now I only pray there is reasonable SpC availability while I'm on-the-road trying to make my destination ETA within reasonable margins of error -- even knowing trips always take longer now with a BEV because of intermediate charge time.

I had my 80A HPWC installed and operational before my MS arrived home, and will only use a local SpC (closest is 20+ miles one-way, 40+ the other) if my HPWC failed and I was in a tight spot. The HPWC cost and my ability to have the electrical circuit installed were a personal consideration before I ordered my MS. I feel for those renting in condos or apts where charging may be a greater challenge today, but OTOH, I have no expectation or feeling of entitlement that Tesla has a responsibility to provide my daily charging needs regardless of my circumstance, or that other owners should possibly be inconvenienced if I had made that choice. In that regard, I have a permanent card in my center console that I place on my dash with my cell phone number whenever I'm charging at a SpC and step away for a short while -- letting people know if I'm convenience or necessity charging, trying to not inconvenience other owners with a more important need -- but that's just old-fashioned me. ;)

All that to say, while SpCs are limited in their numbers and the volume of Tesla that will want to use them is about to go crazy, I'm all for some reasonable limitations on local SpC use perhaps like @Boatguy suggests, to keep them open for other owners needing to charge in a more timely manner when truly away from home.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Stop putting words into people's mouths on this issue.

I'm simply repeating back to you the message you are sending. You're actively against people using your system, because you don't want to wait for them. You believe that if they can't charge at home, they don't deserve to be on your system. You believe you have more of a right to that supercharger pedestal then they.

That is elitist, that is exclusionary. That is contrary to Tesla's vision of mass EV adoption. I can't be any clearer or more consistent with this interpretation.

Furthermore, more cars do not equal more chargers. I am not sure why you seem to be so sure that's the case but it simply just isn't at all. In fact, the current reality is quite the opposite.

And that is a short sighted and incorrect analysis from someone wrapped up in the instant gratification of wanting a supercharger pedestal available to them whenever and wherever they need.

Why do you think they continue to build out the network? How do you think they choose sites? Where do you think the money comes from to expand?

You're just miffed that the answers to these questions are reactionary. The supercharger network is an evolving and changing entity, but Tesla is allowing the system's real time and ever developing utilization metrics to identify the holes instead of them just throwing money at new superchargers. I'm sorry that means you have to wait an extra 5 minutes once in a while, but take solace in the fact that you're supporting the greater good.

Never more has patience been a virtue...

Reactions: AMPd and 4SUPER9
I'm simply repeating back to you the message you are sending. You're actively against people using your system, because you don't want to wait for them. You believe that if they can't charge at home, they don't deserve to be on your system. You believe you have more of a right to that supercharger pedestal then they.

That is elitist, that is exclusionary. That is contrary to Tesla's vision of mass EV adoption. I can't be any clearer or more consistent with this interpretation.

And that is a short sighted and incorrect analysis from someone wrapped up in the instant gratification of wanting a supercharger pedestal available to them whenever and wherever they need.

Why do you think they continue to build out the network? How do you think they choose sites? Where do you think the money comes from to expand?

You're just miffed that the answers to these questions are reactionary. The supercharger network is an evolving and changing entity, but Tesla is allowing the system's real time and ever developing utilization metrics to identify the holes instead of them just throwing money at new superchargers. I'm sorry that means you have to wait an extra 5 minutes once in a while, but take solace in the fact that you're supporting the greater good.

Never more has patience been a virtue...

Yes, if you are a local who can't charge at home\work and you're taking up a spot at a full supercharger causing someone like myself to wait, that is a problem. Furthermore, I'm not the only one who sees it this way. Why is it I should have to wait to charge along my way while someone abuses their access by refusing to charge at home\work? You can call that elitist all you want if it makes you feel better. The reality is my time, like most everyone else's on this planet, is worth something. Trying to convince me that I should just sit there and wait, simply for the greater good, is a complete waist of your time as I find your position to be absurd.

Call me short sighted, again if it makes you feel better, but you are darn right I expect to have a spot when I pull up to a supercharger. That won't always be the case, at least currently, but if even a single person there is a local charging then I have every justification to be "miffed".

So again, if you can't charge at home\work then don't buy the car.

Jeff

Reactions: slevit1md
...you are darn right I expect to have a spot when I pull up to a supercharger.

Great. Now that we got that out of the way...

...if you can't charge at home\work then don't buy the car.

This still perplexes me to no end coming from anyone in North America. How do you figure those without home/work options are even a blip on your 'who's pissing me off today' Pareto chart?

The number of tesla owners without legitimate home/work charging solutions has got to be like 1 in 1000. Why would anyone identify those people as the source of the problem?

As I've said in other threads about this, and I'll say it again here, if you can't charge at home\work then don't buy the car...
Jeff

I’m sorry Jeff, but I also very much disagree. For me, I would not consider buying this car unless I had a clear and available method for me to charge it on a regular basis (i.e.: home). The same, obviously, goes for you. Neither of us, actually, any of us, wants to wait at a Supercharger.

Now, to say that someone who does not have this ability should not even consider purchasing this car, for the sole notion that he or she may be using a supercharger when someone else may want it, is, to put it bluntly, simply selfish. Other people have passion for BEV technology and want to be a part of the rEVolution. But, if they have a unique circumstance that prevents them from charging at home/work, let’s tell them to suck it. Not cool, man. Not cool.

Perhaps they won’t charge at a supercharger every time. If they are truly an enthusiast, they may seek out L2 charging at malls, city lots, and charge not just at SC's, but at hotels when they travel, etc. What if the supercharger they use is in a remote location, say Lone Pine, or slightly less remote, Mammoth. Those superchargers, and many others, are always empty. Would you be opposed to them grabbing a somewhat regular charge, where you or anyone else would never encounter them? Or, is that still unacceptable to you?

Again, I think it is wise, convenient, and best for everyone to obtain reliable charging at home/work. And, it is the responsible thing to do. But to ban them (in spirit, at least) from buying into this magnificent technology does come off as elitist.

Reactions: AMPd and bxr140
I’m sorry Jeff, but I also very much disagree. For me, I would not consider buying this car unless I had a clear and available method for me to charge it on a regular basis (i.e.: home). The same, obviously, goes for you. Neither of us, actually, any of us, wants to wait at a Supercharger.

Now, to say that someone who does not have this ability should not even consider purchasing this car, for the sole notion that he or she may be using a supercharger when someone else may want it, is, to put it bluntly, simply selfish. Other people have passion for BEV technology and want to be a part of the rEVolution. But, if they have a unique circumstance that prevents them from charging at home/work, let’s tell them to suck it. Not cool, man. Not cool.

Perhaps they won’t charge at a supercharger every time. If they are truly an enthusiast, they may seek out L2 charging at malls, city lots, and charge not just at SC's, but at hotels when they travel, etc. What if the supercharger they use is in a remote location, say Lone Pine, or slightly less remote, Mammoth. Those superchargers, and many others, are always empty. Would you be opposed to them grabbing a somewhat regular charge, where you or anyone else would never encounter them? Or, is that still unacceptable to you?

Again, I think it is wise, convenient, and best for everyone to obtain reliable charging at home/work. And, it is the responsible thing to do. But to ban them (in spirit, at least) from buying into this magnificent technology does come off as elitist.

In a perfect world where people were thoughtful and courteous then I'd see your point, but that's not the world we live in. I have no problems with people disagreeing with me and I appreciate the way you worded your post. As I've said before, Tesla isn't going to prevent purchasing, nor should they. If superchargers were as ubiquitous as gas stations then this would be a completely useless conversation but as of now thats nowhere near the case...

If someone who can't charge at home\work but is close to a supercharger and decides to purchase the car anyhow, all I ask is they don't do it during peak times or leave their cars unattended so they can quickly open a spot for those of us who are passing through and don't have time to wait for a spot to open up. If that was the case, then I'd have little to complain about but so far that seems to be the exception and not the norm...

Jeff

• Helpful
Thank you, Jeff. This most recent comment seems a little less absolute than the prior ones. What you ask for is reasonable, and what I would hope for when locals use a SC for the regular use. Superchargers will not be ubiquitous for a very long time. Until then, I really hope that TM does something, ANYTHING, to help with the situation. Perhaps they are and we do not know it. They have attendants often at the two busiest stations in the country: FV and SJC. I wonder what their experience has been. Do they see an occasional person leaving their car there for hours at a time? If so, are they talking to them? At the very least, they need a time limit of something, even 2 hours (which is too much time). That would at least address the low-hanging fruit.

We have some time before the Model 3 arrives. Until then, there are more and more S's and X's on the road and our Southern California SC's are not getting any less congested than when they were completely full TWO YEARS AGO!!

• Helpful
I think I probably would have purchased if I only had 110V for daily charging and needed a boost once or twice a week at a Supercharger. I'm in an apartment and with nearly all homes in the area in the millions I'm not going to have my own place anytime soon.

I also think we'll see a flood of similarly-minded people, at least in this area, with the Model 3 launch. Whereas perhaps most people with a Model S could afford a house in the area, I suspect that math changes considerably with those interested in the Model 3. I suspect the Bay Area Superchargers will see an explosion in traffic.

Supercharger openings in the US have practically stopped in the last few months compared to the previous rate:

supercharge.info

and then click on charts.

I guess now we know why.

I think I probably would have purchased if I only had 110V for daily charging and needed a boost once or twice a week at a Supercharger. I'm in an apartment and with nearly all homes in the area in the millions I'm not going to have my own place anytime soon.

I also think we'll see a flood of similarly-minded people, at least in this area, with the Model 3 launch. Whereas perhaps most people with a Model S could afford a house in the area, I suspect that math changes considerably with those interested in the Model 3. I suspect the Bay Area Superchargers will see an explosion in traffic.

I'm in the same boat. Only really have 110v as an option and that just went away.

Waiting for fuel is not unknown in the gasoline world.

At our local Costco it is not unusual for 50 or more cars to be waiting in line because the fuel is several cents less than other gas station. People are willing to wait 20-30 minutes to creep up to a hose (often on the wrong side of their gas tank). Saving the money is more important to them than going to a more expensive quick serve.

I also remember people queuing up for several hours during the fuel shortages. Fights broke out, and often by the time you got up to the pump they announced they had just run out of fuel.

Same during weather or wildfire emergencies. The stations are often closed down, and you drive around, hoping you find a working station before your tank runs dry.

No perfect system exists, but we often get complacent.

Elon mentioned during the reveal that they were expecting to double the amount of service centers, superchargers and destination chargers before the first of the model 3's were scheduled to be delivered to their new owners.

Expecting that there will never be a wait for an empty stall is unrealistic, but having an empty stall 99% of the time worldwide might be obtainable.

Full chargers could easily be eliminated by instituting "surge" pricing, where people taking up the last remaining stall would be charged $100 for their juice. Bet there would always be an empty stall : >)

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
I agree many urban SC are crowded much of the time, even as more urban locations open every month, but the situation is different for the many more rural SC locations that are key to the promise that Musk has made to enable a Tesla to go out of town almost anywhere in the 48 states.

I just returned from a 1400 mile Tesla road trip circumnavigating the California Sierras counterclockwise. I used SC in the following order: Inyokern, Lone Pine, Mammoth Lakes, Topaz Lake, Truckee on the way north, plus I received overnight charge at my motel in Bishop. Chester CA was my furtherest point north, staying with friends and charging from a 240V 6-15 outlet in my friends' wood shop.
On my return trip on the west side, I charged at Folsom, Buttonwillow, Mohave, and Rancho Cucamonga SC, plus overnight charge on HPWC at a B&B and a Best Western Plus.

During this trip I saw others Teslas at some SC as follows: Lone Pine: 3, Folsom: 3, Buttonwillow: 1, Rancho Cucamonga: 9. All the others: zero, even though I was charging at prime times in mid morning or afternoon. Rancho Cucamonga and Folsom are both urban. I have had similar charging experience on other road trips through CA, AZ, and NM. My conclusion: the majority of rural SC locations will not be saturated any time soon, even if the population of Teslas doubles or even triples.

Tejon Ranch is a very busy location, with only 6 stalls, and last Christmas week there it was the first time charging at many different SC locations that I had to wait in line at least 30 minutes. On this new trip I tried the new station at Buttonwillow, which has 10 stalls. I was quite surprised to find only one other Tesla there, despite charging in mid afternoon only 30 miles or so from Tejon Ranch. Conclusion: when your favorite SC location is crowded, try any new one nearby that opens up. It is clear that in many new locations Tesla is installing more stalls to stay ahead of the curve.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
Trip Report:

I just returned from a 1400 mile Tesla road trip circumnavigating the California Sierras counterclockwise. I have previously done this circuit clockwise with some difficulty because of the lack of SC along Highway 395. With the recent opening of the Reno SC, 395 is now fully connected.

I used SC in the following order: Inyokern (brief, the mini-market is grim), Lone Pine (nice 15 minute movie at the film museum is just right), Mammoth Lakes, Topaz Lake, Truckee on the way north, plus I received overnight L1 charge at the Creekside Inn in Bishop, a nice motel recommended by another Tesla driver. The manager told me they are getting several HPWC installed end of June.

After charging at Mammoth Lakes I had plenty of charge to drive into Yosemite from Lee Vining as far as Olmsted Point, to see Half Dome from the back, and return to Lee Vining and continue up 395 to charge at Topaz Lake SC.

Tip for mountain travel: While I still had connectivity outside the park, I built a route to Olmsted point by locating it on a map, zooming the Tesla GPS to the same point on the road, marking the location with a hand touch, and recording the round-trip predicted usage back to Lee Vining. I zoomed the display back out to show the full route and moved the display slightly so it would not refresh. This way you can maintain your view of your progress on the map without connectivity inside the park.

From Topaz Lake SC I drove to Truckee to stay overnight with cousins. The next day I drove highway 89 to Chester CA, Lake Almanor, near Lassen NP was my furtherest point north, staying with friends and charging from a 240V 6-15 outlet in my friends' wood shop. Very green meadows along this route.

On my return trip on the west side I first drove down the Feather River gorge, which is very pretty, with lots of water, followed by a great lunch at the Sierra Nevada Brewery. I was going to get some QC at the brewery, but I didn't notice on Plugshare that they had a CCS fast charger, not CHAdeMO. I charged at Folsom SC, and drove to the McCaffrey House B&B on the Sonora Pass road. After charging overnight at their HPWD, I drove into Yosemite from the west, took pictures of the major falls in full glory flow, and drove up to the awesome view from Glacier Point.

Another tip: neither the Tesla GPS nor my iPad would recognize the Glacier Point road, so I could not get an accurate round-trip usage prediction, which led to some (unnecessary, as it turned out) range anxiety. So I set the route to my destination in Oakhurst for that night, and turned off the voice directions. That way as I drove the road to Glacier Point, I got continuous updates on how much range margin I had to reach Oakhurst. I was prepared to turn around if that margin dropped below 15%. I actually reached Oakhurst with about 25% margin.

On my way out of the Yosemite, I stopped to check out the charging at the very nice Tanaya Lodge. Only 2 L2 hoses, but the Operations Manager told me they are planning to install 8 HPWC !, hopefully by this Fall. I told him I was very impressed that they would make that kind of infrastructure commitment. Contrast that attitude with the lodge at Sequoia, that has no EV charging at all.

After dinner at the historic Wawona hotel, I charged that night on a HPWC at a Best Western Plus motel at Oakhurst. Oakhurst, at less than 3K ft altitude, was very warm.

On my last day I visited the Forestierre Underground Gardens in Fresno before charging at the new SC station at Buttonwillow. It has 10 stalls and a nice Starbucks, so I was surprised that there was only one other Tesla there, given that it is close to Tejon Ranch and they are always crowded. A steady 108F in the valley; fans going full blast in the car while I was charging. Despite not sharing a stall, I was getting only 50 kW of charge. I moved to another stall on a different charger and the power rose to 80 kW. Perhaps the first charger had become overheated from a previous charge session in the heat.

From Buttonwillow I avoided the San Fernando Valley by driving over Tehachapi to the Mohave SC. Along this nice divided highway I passed a car transport truck carrying a load of Tesla MS and MXs.
From Mohave I could reach home in Claremont driving the Pearblossom Highway. This used to be a bad road, and it still has bad spots, but they are actively widening it.

During this trip I saw others Teslas at SC as follows: Lone Pine: 3, Folsom: 3, Buttonwillow: 1, . All the others: zero, even though I was charging at prime times in mid morning or afternoon.

It was a good trip and I got to talk to a number of folks about Tesla.

During this trip I saw others Teslas at SC as follows: Lone Pine: 3, Folsom: 3, Buttonwillow: 1, . All the others: zero, even though I was charging at prime times in mid morning or afternoon.

It was a good trip and I got to talk to a number of folks about Tesla.
This does not sound like a "good" trip, it sounds like an AMAZING trip! Thanks for the tips. Also, good to hear that Tenaya will have 8 HPWC's. I went to Tuolomne last summer. I don't think I will have time to make it this year.

Question: Did you really see 3 other people charging at Lone Pine? There are only 4 stalls at that location. I have charged there at least on 10 occasions, and the most I have ever seen is 1 other person charging. I am usually solo there.

Rural SC's will not get significantly congested for some time, but, like Tejon, will as more and more Teslas hit the road. When I travel to Mammoth, I typically only see a few Teslas up there. In a few years, there will be hundreds of Teslas up there every weekend, and the 4 stalls at Lone Pine will be quite full.

As far as superchargers getting clogged in California, which is the point of this thread, we have a serious problem in So. Cal, with for example, SJC being completely congested and over-crowded from its first day of opening, which was well over 2 year ago. with thousands of Teslas being added to the mix since. Fountain Valley is equally congested, and has been since it opened. Burbank has a similar problem, and is one that I will hopefully never need (in spite of our wonderful Trip planner recommending I stop there on the way to Mammoth with 250 miles of range still on board if I did). A fight broke out at the San Diego SC not too long ago. These urban areas are desperate for more SC's. I think if TM was to double the amount of stalls, we would still have a problem.

Last time I was at the Mountain View supercharger (I had 2 miles when I pulled in and needed 6 or so to get home) there was a line, and a Tesla chaperone to facilitate the charging queue. Two of the people waiting in line ahead of me bragged they had home charging, and enough charge to make it home, but instead were choosing to wait for the Supercharger to get "free electricity". I told them that was a stupid waste of time, and the Tesla employee encouraged them to charge at home instead to save their time/money, but they weren't having any of it. I plugged in for 5 mins, and then left (cuz I only needed a few more miles), and they were astonished I would only get what I needed to get home. Mind blowing to me (and I noticed the Tesla guy do a face palm listening to the time-wasters).

I've heard from a few Tesla employees that they are upset at how owners behave at Mountain View (and that they track those that leave their car there for 2-4 hours while they go to work) and want to step up their Supercharger education/etiquette to help with the problem.

On the other note, I finished a 7k mile roadtrip a month ago, and outside of CA, I think I saw 2 or 3 other Teslas -- dozens of Supercharger stops and only saw 2 or 3 cars charging. (And all of my stops in CA, both leaving and returning, I never encountered a full, or even half full supercharger)