Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the Petaluma layout, I can see some people with poor abstract visual comprehension and pulling into 2A/3A (for example) from the wrong side, thereby blocking an open spot.
Yes, that will happen if you do not pull thru far enough the car that comes in behind will not be able to connect or will stick out in the main roadway. Maybe they will strip it and put some signs up.

Yes, that will happen if you do not pull thru far enough the car that comes in behind will not be able to connect or will stick out in the main roadway. Maybe they will strip it and put some signs up.

I think what cpa was positing (and I agree with him) is worse: someone could pull most of the way into the slot intended for 2A from the wrong direction, and hook up to the 3B charger, thereby blocking 2A. This would be ugly.

• Disagree
Reactions: Trekker_
I think what cpa was positing (and I agree with him) is worse: someone could pull most of the way into the slot intended for 2A from the wrong direction, and hook up to the 3B charger, thereby blocking 2A

And blocking 2B as well. I see what you're saying, although one would have to be really oblivious NOT to realize one's car is straddling two parking spaces...

One easy ways Tesla could solve this and make it idiot-proof would be to put a screen, glass, or solid pane of some sort on the "incorrect" side of the SC stations (on the "upper" side in my diagram) such that the only way to use the cable is toward the intended spot.

Well there aren't any barriers between the spots. So maybe they're thinking people will just pull all the way forward into the next space. If you look at it that way then they're all head in. Problem is if people don't pull forward and all 5 of those stalls are taken then you don't have a choice.

Yeah it should look something like this:

[REMOVED TO REDUCE SIZE]

Thinking about this a little, I think I like this way because the A/B pairing becomes a little more obvious to choose the proper stall in many cases (not all).

Imagine if everyone just pulled-in, then the "B" stalls will fill up first and no one has to share. Some cars will go and some will come. If no more "B" stalls are open, then you'd have to use an "A" stall and share. And in the case that all the "A" stalls are occupied and some "B" stalls are open, you can still back into the "B" stalls as before.

So, in order of preference:
- Head-in all the way, pass the first (A) stall and into the second (B) stall
- Head-in to the first (A) stall (behind another vehicle)
- Back-in to the second (B) stall

aHTR5Uo.png

In the "Today" map of superchargers on Tesla's official SC website, it looks like there's a "coming soon" pin in gray west of Fremont:

today-northamerica.jpg

The gray pin I'm referring to is hard to see since it's hidden by the red Fremont pin. The gray pin east of Fremont is Manteca, and the two to the north are Petaluma and Napa (also somewhat hidden).

Does anyone have an idea where exactly this peninsula/south bay SC may be located?

I will stick with 101 for Mt View. There is a shopping area off Rengstorff. A Cinemark theatres off Shoreline and a Museum off Shoreline. Not much else with public parking right off 101.

You would think with Tesla world HQ in Palo Alto that they would have a (public) SC nearby.

They have a sales / service center there.

With regards to 101/Rengstorf Mountain View... Google HQ is very close, and there are very many Tesla drivers there.
This area is perhaps the highest density of Model S anywhere.

There is a vacant lot at North Rengstorff Ave and Old Middlefield Rd in Mountain View CA that would be perfect for 20 superchargers and a huge solar canopy. Should Tesla decide to put a supercharging site there it is only two blocks from U.S.101, has easy access to both north bound and southbound U.S. 101 entrances. It is just two blocks along N. Rengstorff Ave in the other direction to Google. There are a few amenities nearby food etc. It is somewhat light industrial but it sure is in a great location!

You would think with Tesla world HQ in Palo Alto that they would have a (public) SC nearby.

With regards to 101/Rengstorf Mountain View... Google HQ is very close, and there are very many Tesla drivers there.

There is a vacant lot at North Rengstorff Ave and Old Middlefield Rd in Mountain View CA that would be perfect for 20 superchargers and a huge solar canopy. Should Tesla decide to put a supercharging site there it is only two blocks from U.S.101, has easy access to both north bound and southbound U.S. 101 entrances. It is just two blocks along N. Rengstorff Ave in the other direction to Google. There are a few amenities nearby food etc. It is somewhat light industrial but it sure is in a great location!
I started a thread to discuss the upcoming peninsula/south bay SC here:

Supercharger - South Bay/Peninsula (SF Bay Area, CA)

And for those interested in the Napa SC updates:

Supercharger - Napa, CA

Let's see some pictures of a Tesla charging at the Petaluma Superchargers.

Yes I'd love to see that as well! Care to oblige? :biggrin:

Well, the basic premise of superchargers is not to place them close to where Teslas live, but to facilitate road trips. You want them to be used by drivers that can't wait to unplug and keep driving, not by drivers who will plug in and go to work/lunch/dinner/whatever. That's why most of them are on highways reststops in boonies.

And Google also has a boatload of free Chargepoint stations for employee use (only). It might make sense to eventually put an SC in right off 280 and/or 101 between Gilroy and the Petaluma/Vacavile/Napa chargers. And one up in the Oakland/Berkeley area. But I wouldn't worry about putting one in near Google. The Google folks should have plenty of free charging.

The reason Tesla needs to have superchargers in the heart of bay area cities is the MS MX & M together. These three automobiles together will put high demand on superchargers etc. and no better time to build out the infrastructure than now with only the MS on the road. Once the MX is on the street, watch out!, supercharging will increase several fold. Once Tesla gets the M on the road, especially in quantities of 500,000+ per year, there will be some serious need for supercharging stations all over the place. It's gonna happen, so I'm glad to see as many superchargers as necessary to meet the demand, prior to that demand ramming up! The Bay Area will lead the way as it usually does, seeing Fremont add another 8 superchargers, up to 16, and hopefully new locations around the bay area is a good thing. The X and will be here in an automotive heartbeat......... that's a Tesla 'SOON' for those of us that follow Tesla!!:biggrin:

The parking lots at 101 and Rengstorff in MtView are always packed. They would be a bad place to put a supercharger. Sure there is shopping, but In-N-Out Burger doesn't make a great assortment of eateries. Oh, I think there's a Japanese restaurant too. Some place near Tesla HQ would work. It is close to 280. Also, Stanford shopping center isn't too far from 280. They've got lots of shopping, restaurants, etc.