Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the funny thing is no one needs to charge on that route - its only 100 miles - you can do roundtrip in 75kwh and up -=
For me it is 136 miles (West LA) which comes to easily 164 RM each way, not including travel time at the destination meandering around, so add perhaps another 50 RM. So at least a 375 RM round-trip for me. Now if staying overnight, I definitely look for a destination site to charge. While I like to save $, my time is more valuable and would much rather not stop at a supercharger.

Right at the corner of S Mentor ave and E Del Mar blvd:
View attachment 253166 View attachment 253167

Probably will have to wait for actual construction to begin to confirm that it will be Tesla site.

Arrrrrrrrrgggggg, I picked the wrong week for a vacation in Kauai!

Given this news, I may have to fly back early... ;)

Starting Sunday 10-15 I will post updated pictures daily and provide reports on progress.

RT

View attachment 253166 View attachment 253167

Probably will have to wait for actual construction to begin to confirm that it will be Tesla site.
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble. I looked up the permit information for this parcel and came up with the following:

Description: RE-STRIPING OF ACCESSIBLE PARKING SPACES, REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT OF ACCESSIBLE PARKING SIGNAGE, CONSTUCT CONCRETE CURB RAMP, INSTALLATION OF TRUNCATED DOMES.

the funny thing is no one needs to charge on that route - its only 100 miles - you can do roundtrip in 75kwh and up -=

Not true. When I drive from San Diego to north of LA downtown and back in one day in my Model X 90, I have to recharge somewhere along the way. Ideally, I’d like to recharge on the way back, and invariably ALL the SCs on the way back are FULL. So it’s pick your poison time when I make that trip.

Not true. When I drive from San Diego to north of LA downtown and back in one day in my Model X 90, I have to recharge somewhere along the way. Ideally, I’d like to recharge on the way back, and invariably ALL the SCs on the way back are FULL. So it’s pick your poison time when I make that trip.
Guess I'm lucky - I leave near the Rancho Cucamonga SC site - its just far enough away that it looks like we could charge there after leavng home, then hit it on the way back close to 10% charge - will have to try it sometime! Even just grabbing an overnight 110v charge would solve the problem -

Guess I'm lucky - I leave near the Rancho Cucamonga SC site - its just far enough away that it looks like we could charge there after leavng home, then hit it on the way back close to 10% charge - will have to try it sometime! Even just grabbing an overnight 110v charge would solve the problem -

Yeah, normally I’d take my Model S for longer trips, even if it is an 85 since it is waaay more electron efficient than the X at high freeway speeds. But my S doesn’t have AP, so the electron guzzling X it is. Tesla really messed up when they released the X with only 90 kWh. You’d think considering how late the X launch was, they would have figured out to stuff 100 kWh into it by launch time, but no, late again on that critical feature...

To give you an idea, yesterday I took an 86 mile roundtrip journey in my X. About 2/3 of it was spirited freeway driving. It drained 136 RM from the X...

I'd be excited to have a Supercharger so close to me, however, I don't see it going well if they install in this parking lot. Every day, it's a total fiasco. Hardly any parking for ANY cars at lunch times and throughout the day. I can see these Tesla charging stalls getting ICE'd consistently throughout the day. Add on the amount of residences nearby, and Tesla owners will find themselves boxed out of the stall, OR they'll park in the stall to charge and then over-stay their welcome.

If this is the location, hopefully they have a plan...

I'd be excited to have a Supercharger so close to me, however, I don't see it going well if they install in this parking lot. Every day, it's a total fiasco. Hardly any parking for ANY cars at lunch times and throughout the day. I can see these Tesla charging stalls getting ICE'd consistently throughout the day. Add on the amount of residences nearby, and Tesla owners will find themselves boxed out of the stall, OR they'll park in the stall to charge and then over-stay their welcome.

If this is the location, hopefully they have a plan...
See above. The permit says it is for something else.

Discussion of the two new L2 charger locations (not Tesla sites) that are being built by Black&Veatch has been moved to a new thread since they are not Supercharger sites, which is what this thread is about. Please continue the discussion about those sites here Two new L2 charger locations in LA area (not Tesla), Black&Veatch construction

Of course there is nothing wrong with using this thread to post information about possible new Tesla Supercharger locations in Southern California. That’s what the thread is for. But once an EV charging site has been determined to not be a Tesla site, the discussion may be moved to its own thread in the California forum. Thanks.

Reactions: Teriyaki88
I have a long shot candidate. Corner of 182nd Street and Crenshaw Blvd in Torrance. Very large empty lot on the SE corner. Sitting empty for many years. As of Friday lots of construction equipment working. I have some pictures but Photobucket has been down for me since then. I didn't see a Torrance permit, but I'm not very familiar with the site.

Perfect location (freeway adjacent), large enough for 50 stalls, multiple food choices on all 3 other corners.

RT

I have a long shot candidate. Corner of 182nd Street and Crenshaw Blvd in Torrance. Very large empty lot on the SE corner. Sitting empty for many years. As of Friday lots of construction equipment working. I have some pictures but Photobucket has been down for me since then. I didn't see a Torrance permit, but I'm not very familiar with the site.

Perfect location (freeway adjacent), large enough for 50 stalls, multiple food choices on all 3 other corners.

RT
That would be awesome, though unlikely. Tesla would have to lease or buy the property, which could get expensive. Typically, they negotiate use of land in exchange for promise of visiting customers. Unless the surrounding businesses own the lot, that is not likely to happen.

Anything is possible, so swing by in a few days and look for those Tesla crates!

RT

torrance%203_zpsrk37d472.jpg

torrance%201_zps5fnx07dr.jpg

torrance%202_zpspukv5ndc.jpg

Well, one (edit: all three!) upload worked, unfortunately only the Google map picture showing the location. I'll get by there again soon. I'm sure other members here are close by too given the proximity to SpaceX.

Shot from car on 182nd street, so apologies for not getting closer. Next time.

RT

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Yes, I agree that this would be an awesome 40 stall location. I think that is a pipe dream though.

I searched the City of Torrance's website, but could not find a permit search feature. I did find the vacant land on the county assessor's website. There are actually 2 parcels listed there. The one in yellow is 4095-020-903. The one that is grey is 4095-020-902.
If anyone knows how to search further, please have at it.

upload_2017-10-30_10-12-46.png

Yes, I agree that this would be an awesome 40 stall location. I think that is a pipe dream though.

I searched the City of Torrance's website, but could not find a permit search feature. I did find the vacant land on the county assessor's website. There are actually 2 parcels listed there. The one in yellow is 4095-020-903. The one that is grey is 4095-020-902.
If anyone knows how to search further, please have at it.

View attachment 257195

Permit search page:

City of Torrance : Online Permit, Request and Licensing Center

Click on "Building", then enter 182 and st or Crenshaw and Blvd. Pulls up all the building permits. I also searched Engineering and Planning and found nothing.

RT

RT
I co-sign this proposal. Perfect location and been long vacant since the gas station was torn down. The ramen place next to Coffee Bean is amazing. Many other nearby amenities including a post office a block north on Crenshaw and a Ralphs a block further up.