Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Caltech in Pasadena has a 50 stall EV charger - free until EOY 2017. Not fast at 30 miles per hour but it's free and available so no complaints. There is one CHAdeMO charger that can charger at 100 miles per hour (40kW) though.

50?! Wow. The largest I've come across was at the AIr Quality Management up in the hills in Diamond Bar corner of 57/60 freeway and I thought they had a lot.

Someone should add that info to plugshare.

Caltech in Pasadena has a 50 stall EV charger - free until EOY 2017. Not fast at 30 miles per hour but it's free and available so no complaints. There is one CHAdeMO charger that can charger at 100 miles per hour (40kW) though.

The idea was primarily for students, faculty, staff, visitors from SpaceX and Tesla, etc. Unfortunately abuse has been an issue hence the impending fees which may also end up requiring a Caltech ID.

• Love
Reactions: Commuter
looks like bunch of new grey pins appeared on Tesla supercharger map with "Target opening by end of 2018"
Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 11.43.40 AM.png

Yes, a lot were added! I believe the theory has been that the grey pins are determined by the name of the city on the map, and not the actual location of the site. This current map seems to confirm that for me. For example, the Long Beach and Huntington Beach sites may actually be off the 405. Same goes for Manhattan, Redondo etc. Though, having some stations off PCH is certainly within the realm of possibility. Not so for La Jolla. I highly doubt they would put one in that hard to reach and crowded town. Real estate and parking there is at a top premium. For certain that one will be closer to the 5.
I'm also really glad to see Palmdale and Sherman Oaks pop-up on their site.

In a couple of years there are going to be so many Supercharger locations in California that people won't even bother starting a thread about a new location, it will be a non-event. Us old timers will fondly look back on the days "long ago" (meaning maybe 5 years) when a new Supercharger site was celebrated and owners anxiously monitored the construction progress. That will seem like ancient history. :cool:

I am looking forward to the day when all new cars are electric and gas stations are as spread as far apart as today's Superchargers. The future Superchargers will then be the ones located across the street from each other, competing for our business by having the best prices, mini-marts or cleanest restrooms.

Wow!

Had to chuckle when I saw San Dimas pop up. I am sadly still living in a San Dimas hotel since my house flooded in June. Wonder if it is indeed the hotel that said Tesla approached him last year to possibly use the back of his parking lot.

Charging has been a pain living in a hotel. I have to slow charge or head to RC.

So, color me happy to see San Dimas, Pomona (from 2017), West Covina and Ontario on the list. I still forget to charge sometimes. It will be nice to have something close. Would have been really nice to have it this year.

Will happily snap pictures when these sites start construction.