Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does it matter.... Only Tesla has anything like a Supercharger Network, and it is expanding constantly. NONE of Tesla's competition is doing any thing for their EV's, therefore only Tesla has a practical EV for long distance travel.

We LOVED our Nissan Leaf, but it was never going to be anything but a local driver. Now, we have over 25,000 miles in less than one year, and in 5 weeks we leave on another 2-week, 9,000 mile, cross-country trip. This time going from northern US down to Key West, FL. We could never do this in any EV other than a TESLA.

We in California do experience some Supercharger overcrowding, but since all of my non-trip charging is at home in my own garage I never experience any wait time.

I have only had to wait my turn two times, once at San Diego - Qualcomm (20 minute wait) while my wife was a couple of blocks away at an appointment. I used the Supercharger just to say I had used it. Never again. The other wait was when we stopped at Rancho Cucamonga on our way home driving south on I-15. That time the wait was about 15 minutes. We will never again have to stop there, either.

Outside of California most of the Supercharger stations we go to have been empty except for us. Never any close to being full.

They make promises and break promises every single year. To me, that matters.
Tesla sets insanely ambitious goals and frequently fails to meet them, all the while progressing much faster than any other auto company in the field of EVs and charging networks.

This thread is about speculating where future Supercharger locations will be in Southern California. Let’s keep it that way.

There are 823 "coming soon" supercharger locations total, 390 of them are in USA (99 in California - this is California thread :) ) (as of May 21, 2018)
This also includes expansion projects.
So it is falling bit short of being "thousands" locations...

Reactions: PLUS EV
The Tesla Find Us map has undergone a modest update. Two of the changes were the removal of Garden Grove and the addition of Westminster. Unfortunately Westminster doesn't appear to have permit data online, but it sounds like there is some action there for Tesla to make that change to their map.

Is there any speculation on a location?
Sure. There is always speculation. ;) But since the permit has not been found we don’t know the actual location.

I think it's supposed to be near Fountain and Highland per the Supercharger map on the website.
The gray pin icons on the “Find Us” page on the Tesla website definitely do not indicate the exact location of future Superchargers. They are simply the center of the geographic area of the specific city or town that Tesla is indicating the Supercharger will be located in. This has been demonstrated many, many times in the past based on where a future Supercharger is eventually constructed.

Wait. I had to stare at it and then refresh my browser just to be sure I was seeing it correctly but does this state that Tesla is planning to put a Supercharger in Del Mar, CA... just a couple blocks from my home... in one of the busiest, most congested coastal areas in all of San Diego? https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bounds/34.0195141,-117.275174,33.872517,-117.523882,d?place=delmarcaliforniasupercharger&search=store,service,supercharger,destination charger

Sorry, but until a location is chosen and approved the "PIN" is to the city, not specific location. If you find a location that has easy traffic, easy on/off to freeway, and has 24/7 restroom that would be good for a Supercharger location please suggest it on this thread.

If it does end up being only a couple of blocks from your home then other TESLA "friends" may find their way over to your home for middle of night Restroom and Food breaks. ;)