Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked to a guy at the Santa Barbara Service Center today about Superchargers being installed in SB. Got some somewhat interesting info:

I think this was rumored before, but the Santa Barbara Service Center/Showroom was close to becoming a Supercharger destination. The reason it didn't happen was because the grid apparently in the area would need infrastructure upgrades to accommodate a Supercharger, shutting down too many of the neighboring car dealerships' main power for a while, so the city vetoed it.

Anyway, he said there are two Superchargers coming to Santa Barbara. One he mentioned was going to be installed at the Fess Parker: Google Maps Seems like an odd choice, maybe he was confusing the Fess Parker with the Miramar Beach Supercharger, also rumored, in Montecito? He sounded pretty sure though.

He also said the other Supercharger's final destination hasn't been picked out yet, but there have been talks of installing one near the Service Center in La Cumbre Plaza--this is very logical location for a Supercharger in SB with lots of parking and a mall.

Last edited:
I talked to a guy at the Santa Barbara Service Center today about Superchargers being installed in SB. Got some somewhat interesting info:

I think this was rumored before, but the Santa Barbara Service Center/Showroom was close to becoming a Supercharger destination. The reason it didn't happen was because the grid apparently in the area would need infrastructure upgrades to accommodate a Supercharger, shutting down too many of the neighboring car dealerships' main power for a while, so the city vetoed it.

Anyway, he said there are two Superchargers coming to Santa Barbara. One he mentioned was going to be installed at the Fess Parker: Google Maps Seems like an odd choice, maybe he was confusing the Fess Parker with the Miramar Beach Supercharger, also rumored, in Montecito? He sounded pretty sure though.

He also said the other Supercharger's final destination hasn't been picked out yet, but there have been talks of installing one near the Service Center in La Cumbre Plaza--this is very logical location for a Supercharger in SB with lots of parking and a mall.

The Fess Parker (Doubletree) at 633 E Cabrillo Blvd would be a great location!

found this on Santa Monica website:
address is: 1401 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90404

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 12.44.07 AM.png

Anybody know what's the deal with the Northridge spot or location? No way it's in the heart of CSUN :eek:
I have no idea...purely my opinion....It wouldnt make sense to place it in the heart of CSUN, too much traffic and students. I would guess maybe the top floor of the Northridge mall or maybe somewhere up in Porter Ranch? Whatever location they choose....it'll sure be a lot closer than burbank....just pull the permit already ELON!

New SC map coming! Hoping for more SC’s in San Diego and all of SoCAL

Musk - 1000s Of Superchargers Are In Permitting/Construction Phases
I would take this with a massive grain of salt. He is probably (misleadingly) referring to the number of new supercharger stalls in the whole world. Even then "thousands" is a stretch. Maybe there are 2,000 stalls currently under construction or in permitting phase if there are a lot of them in China that we don't know about.

The reality is that despite many promises of increased supercharger construction, the rate has been fairly constant. Here is the number of new superchargers in North America by year:

2015- 113
2016- 99
2017- 142
2018 (so far)- 71 (on pace for about 188)

As you can see, there has been a modest increase in supercharger construction over the last year or year and a half, but it has been anything but a dramatic increase. I think at one point they promised to double the number of superchargers in 2017 alone and they fail way short. So I'm not holding my breath on thousands of new ones "coming soon."

The reality is that despite many promises of increased supercharger construction, the rate has been fairly constant.

I think at one point they promised to double the number of superchargers in 2017 alone and they fail way short.

I’m certainly not one that turns a blind eye to the litany of broken promises and fudged statistics from Elon/Tesla, but if your numbers don’t include existing site buildouts, they should. And, especially since new/expanded buildouts can be significantly larger than the originals, I think stall count is an appropriate metric.

Back in the day 6 stalls was a big location. 10 was amazing. Now we have KC and Baker...

Reactions: Zoomit and David99