Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They really should set up a Service Centre and Supercharger in Irvine/Lake Forest/Mission Viejo. Having to go to Costa Mesa from Coto De Caza is a bit of a long drive. (Used to live in Irvine, much closer then).

I'd actually consider even a SC/SpC combo in North County SD. That'd alleviate the San Juan Capistrano Supercharger and definitely San Diego and Costa Mesa Service Centers
I have forwarded pics of the site of the old Phillips Olds dealership to Tesla. It is just a half block off the 5 at Alicia Pkwy. Large lot for CPO's, existing service bays, excellent bldg space for both Tesla and Tesla Energy (Solar City) products and add'l chargers to help relieve SJC. On top of that, plenty of existing Teslas driving around in this neighborhood. Great customer base here.

Reactions: rfmurphy81
My Supercharger wish list includes a couple of SoCal desert freeway locations:

1. Baker, CA, along I-15 between Barstow, CA and Primm, NV, hopefully near the original Mad Greek restaurant. While the spacing between Barstow and Primm is quite satisfactory at ~110 miles, adding a Baker Supercharger would help relieve congestion at Barstow on busy weekends while providing some redundancy. More importantly from my perspective, a Baker Supercharger would be perfect as a southern gateway to Death Valley National Park, while making it more feasible to visit the nearby Mojave Preserve (which has very little electrical infrastructure).

2. Ludlow, CA, along I-40 between Barstow, CA and Needles, CA, one of the longer legs between SCs. I'd personally appreciate some charging here, even if it's not a Supercharger, because Ludlow is close to the Mojave Preserve, a national monument that we enjoy visiting during the cooler seasons. Ludlow is admittedly a pretty tiny, dusty, hardscrabble desert outpost with little more than a Chevron station, a motel, and a restaurant. But it could serve as an oasis for EVs for much the same reason that its Chevron station remains in business to serve ICE vehicles - it's a long way to the next fuel or charge stop.

[Moderator note: this post was moved from the Twentynine Palms Supercharger thread]

Seeing this supercharger poping-up from nowhere surprise me a lot. I'm from abroad but I like to follow the growing process of Tesla Superchargers Network (hungerly awaiting for it, here in Portugal, in next year) in US, some how like a guessing game to predict where the next one will pop-up.
So, for CA, I was expecting more seeing one in the I-10 between Indio and Quartazite, or in the I-15 between Barstow and Primm, or in the I-40 between Barstow and Needles, all of these roads having (I presume) an heavy traffic of Tesla cars to Las Vegas, to Flagstaff (with one more in the I-40 at Seligman, AZ?) or to Phoenix.

Last edited by a moderator:
[Moderator note: this post was moved from the Twentynine Palms Supercharger thread]

Seeing this supercharger poping-up from nowhere surprise me a lot. I'm from abroad but I like to follow the growing process of Tesla Superchargers Network (hungerly awaiting for it, here in Portugal, in next year) in US, some how like a guessing game to predict where the next one will pop-up.
So, for CA, I was expecting more seeing one in the I-10 between Indio and Quartazite, or in the I-15 between Barstow and Primm, or in the I-40 between Barstow and Needles, all of these roads having (I presume) an heavy traffic of Tesla cars to Las Vegas, to Flagstaff (with one more in the I-40 at Seligman, AZ?) or to Phoenix.

Greetings, Atlantis!

I will assume that you are not familiar with the landscape and demographics of Eastern California. There is not much east of Indio until Blythe, and Blythe is only about 15-20 miles from Quartzsite. About all that is out there is Chiriaco Summit, and that is quite close to Indio. Between Barstow and Primm there is Baker, Calif. It is certainly possible in the future that Tesla will build a SC there, as it opens up access to Death Valley from the South, and it also permits travelers to head straight to Beatty, Nevada and bypass Vegas. But I will assume that the combination of St. George, Vegas, Primm and Barstow will accommodate 98% of travelers. Similarly, between Barstow and Needles, there ain't a whole lot. Newberry Springs is too close to Barstow. Ludlow is about 50 miles distant, but again, not a whole lot.

Reactions: Atlantis
My Supercharger wish list includes a couple of SoCal desert freeway locations:

1. Baker, CA, along I-15 between Barstow, CA and Primm, NV, hopefully near the original Mad Greek restaurant. While the spacing between Barstow and Primm is quite satisfactory at ~110 miles, adding a Baker Supercharger would help relieve congestion at Barstow on busy weekends while providing some redundancy. More importantly from my perspective, a Baker Supercharger would be perfect as a southern gateway to Death Valley National Park, while making it more feasible to visit the nearby Mojave Preserve (which has very little electrical infrastructure).

2. Ludlow, CA, along I-40 between Barstow, CA and Needles, CA...
As of today, we know that EVgo is installing four high-power (350 kW, wow!) DC chargers in Baker. They'll support both CHAdeMO and CCS. This is a first for North America!

I'm still hoping for Tesla Superchargers in Baker. But if not, that would give me a reason to buy or borrow a CHAdeMO adapter!

EVgo Installing First 350 kW Ultra Fast Public Charging Station In The US

If you want to charge at 50kW, or lower. While not horrible, it isn't Supercharger level, since the CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 50kW/125A/~150/MPH.
True, but even a lowly 50 kW in Baker would still be very helpful in traveling to the Mojave National Preserve and/or Death Valley, particularly if visiting both parks on the same trip. That said, visiting just one of the two parks ought to be possible in an S-85 with a full charge from the Barstow SC. For Death Valley, that would work best with a reservation for an RV site with a 14-50 outlet at Stovepipe Wells or Furnace Creek. And if making a round trip to the Mojave National Preserve, one would need to be careful to keep speed down and conserve charge.

Alternatively, one could use the Inyokern and/or Lone Pine SCs to visit the north end of Death Valley.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
More speculation, Tesla just announced 2017 super charging stations map.
2016.JPG
2017.JPG

I took the source code of both the 2016 and 2017 maps to find the hi resolution images and zoomed in as much as I could. The data gets a little blurry, but overall, there is not that much of a difference between the two maps for Southern California. At best, I see maybe an additional 3 chargers in the S. Cal coastal corridor.

There is definitely something lacking along I-210 in SoCal - you have a string of service centers and superchargers starting from Van Nuys to Burbank, but then almost 60 miles later it's Rancho Cucamonga??

At this point I would love to see a supercharger in perhaps Duarte (same lot as Target and Sonics, near I-605) or Glendora (same lot as Sam's Club and In-N-Out, near SR-57). Throw a service center between the two and we'll be golden.

I would like to see a Supercharger in the Santa Clarita area so that, starting from one's home in LA / Orange County, you could charge in Santa Clarita, go over the Grapevine, skip Tejon, and easily make it to Bakersfield or Buttonwillow no matter what the weather or speed you want to go. Then from Bakersfield or Buttonwillow you could continue north in I5, skipping Harris Ranch and get to Gustine.

Santa Clarita is not a bad idea, though it would be dedicated only to the 5. I was thinking north San Fernando Valley, near Sylmar and the intersection of the 5 and 210, thereby catching a few other routes, including the 14 which is just a couple miles north. There are a number of facilities on Roxford street (Denny's, McDonald's, etc). Can skip Tejon and still only need 40 kwh max to hit Buttonwillow. Less to Bakersfield.

I would like to see a Supercharger in the Santa Clarita area so that, starting from one's home in LA / Orange County, you could charge in Santa Clarita, go over the Grapevine, skip Tejon, and easily make it to Bakersfield or Buttonwillow no matter what the weather or speed you want to go. Then from Bakersfield or Buttonwillow you could continue north in I5, skipping Harris Ranch and get to Gustine.

Santa Clarita is not a bad idea, though it would be dedicated only to the 5. I was thinking north San Fernando Valley, near Sylmar and the intersection of the 5 and 210, thereby catching a few other routes, including the 14 which is just a couple miles north. There are a number of facilities on Roxford street (Denny's, McDonald's, etc). Can skip Tejon and still only need 40 kwh max to hit Buttonwillow. Less to Bakersfield.

I agree - something in either area would be awesome. I live in Palmdale and work at Edwards AFB. On days like today, where I have to go down below (Burbank service center) in the morning, then drive all the way up to Edwards and STILL have enough charge to get home after work back to Palmdale, being able to add a few miles in the Santa Clarita area would be great. I ended up detouring to Mojave today to pick up some charge, since I was feeling a little bit of range anxiety about the round trip to work since its supposed to get cold tonight. (My car cold soaks in the parking lot and there is no public EV charging on the base).

It also would have helped me on my fateful pickup day for my CPO last month. Buena Park gave me the car with 170 miles range, and I had to double back to Van Nuys from Santa Clarita when I got a battery coolant warning. Made it home to Palmdale with only 16 miles left. A quick top up in Santa Clarita would have alleviated some stress that day. (My backup plan was a Level 2 charger at the Antelope Valley mall)