Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree - something in either area would be awesome. I live in Palmdale and work at Edwards AFB. On days like today, where I have to go down below (Burbank service center) in the morning, then drive all the way up to Edwards and STILL have enough charge to get home after work back to Palmdale, being able to add a few miles in the Santa Clarita area would be great. I ended up detouring to Mojave today to pick up some charge, since I was feeling a little bit of range anxiety about the round trip to work since its supposed to get cold tonight. (My car cold soaks in the parking lot and there is no public EV charging on the base).

It also would have helped me on my fateful pickup day for my CPO last month. Buena Park gave me the car with 170 miles range, and I had to double back to Van Nuys from Santa Clarita when I got a battery coolant warning. Made it home to Palmdale with only 16 miles left. A quick top up in Santa Clarita would have alleviated some stress that day. (My backup plan was a Level 2 charger at the Antelope Valley mall)

I vote for Valencia Mall. Easy access to I-5 and Ca-14. Huge parking lot that is usually 1/2 empty out by Sears. It is a Westfield property, just like the Culver City Mall near LAX, where Tesla has a gazillion superchargers. Valencia Mall on the top of my wish list.

Reactions: cruiserlarry
When I bought my Model S in 2013, there were less than 10 Superchargers in the country. Every year or so, I sent Tesla a courteous e-mail identifying the locations that would really help. For instance, in 2015, I suggested SCs in Fish Camp, the 99 freeway, and on routes between LA and Riverside counties. The gaps are filling in - and I'm now able to go just about anywhere I need to in CA.

My top 10 CA "wish list" now includes:
1. Tulare/Visalia (99)
2. Bishop/Big Pine (395)
3. King City/Soledad (101)
4. Santa Barbara (101)
5. Riverside (91)
6. Baker (15)
7. Oceanside/Carlsbad (5)
8. South Lake Tahoe (50)
9. Victorville (15)
10. Corona (15)

Sending Tesla another e-mail this morning - I have a reservation for the Model 3 and will soon be a two-Tesla home.

Contact info: [email protected]

Reactions: Vern Padgett
These are all great suggestions. IMHO, I believe we first need more SC's in the SF Valley. As of now, there is Burbank, and... nothing else.
I still believe that something near the junction of the 210/5/14 would be ideal. That would get anyone from points south to points north, avoiding the horrible mess that Burbank is in. No need to stress making Tejon.

These are all great suggestions. IMHO, I believe we first need more SC's in the SF Valley. As of now, there is Burbank, and... nothing else.
I still believe that something near the junction of the 210/5/14 would be ideal. That would get anyone from points south to points north, avoiding the horrible mess that Burbank is in. No need to stress making Tejon.

Interested if you have a specific site in mind?

Interested if you have a specific site in mind?
Yes, I do actually. There is a Denny's right off the I-5 at the Roxford exit. 12861 Encinitas Ave, Sylmar, CA 91342
There are two gas stations and two motels right there, with a McDonald's directly across the street. Aside from that, there is not much else there, making this an ideal location to avoid abuse by locals. Looking at the image below, the only issue I see is sufficient parking spaces. The Denny's lot in this photo shows all spots taken.
Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 10.26.19 PM.png

There's tons of places in Sylmar right off the 210 with McClay, Hubbard and Polk. This would make a great location for anyone going towards 395/etc or up the grade on the 5. Off McClay there's plenty of parking and fast food places in the Home Depot parking lot.

Right off Hubbard and foothill they just opened up a new Starbucks and panda complex with plenty of room.

The 210 is a major corridor and I never figured out why they never planned one out anywhere.

Also somewhere in VanNuys along the 405 should be considered.

Whoa, that is impressive. Makes me think that some of the recent slowdown in Supercharger deployment has been a result of not wanting to deploy hardware that will soon be obsoleted by new hardware.

I have to assume that Tesla will be deploying "Supercharger v2" hardware at these new sites.

Tesla also updated supercharger map with gray pins at planned locations. Little buggy (because it shows gray pins at some existing locations). But no more pixel guesswork. Glendale, Pasadena, Santa Clarita and Hollywood are getting superchargers among others...

Tesla also updated supercharger map with gray pins at planned locations. Little buggy (because it shows gray pins at some existing locations). But no more pixel guesswork. Glendale, Pasadena, Santa Clarita and Hollywood are getting superchargers among others...
I was thinking that the gray pins at current locations meant that they were going to undergo expansion.

Or it could just be a bug, I'll guess we'll have to wait and see. This new supercharger map makes me very excited, road trips are about to get a lot easier :)

I saw that. There are grey pins at Fountain Valley and Culver City. It is quite possible that these are expansion sites. FV is a fabulous location, as we have seen by its virtually instant popularity. Doubling it would be fantastic.

I find Santa Monica interesting. This would almost definitely be a density SC, as there is little long distance travel along this route. I don't think many people take PCH highway through this region, points north and south through SM, as a commute. They did, in their announcement, recognize that this is also to address drivers without access to charging.

Here is a list of Coming Soon sites in Southern California from the new Find Us page:
Baker
Yermo
Barstow (expasion?)
Hesperia
Mojave (expansion?)
Tejon Ranch (expansion?)
Santa Barbara
Oxnard (expansion?)
Thousand Oaks
Calabasas
Santa Clarita
Northridge
Sherman Oaks
Glendale
Pasadena
Hollywood
Culver City II
Santa Monica
Redondo Beach (expansion?)
Long Beach
Commerce
Downey
Fountain Valley (expansion?)
Irvine
San Clemente
Pomona
San Bernardino
Corona
Lake Elsinore
Carlsbad
Vista
La Jolla
San Diego (expansion?)
El Cajon
Cabazon (expansion?)
Palm Desert
Indio (expansion?)

La Jolla is another likely density/destination SC. I am totally in favor of more of these, as it keeps locals, who might justifiably need to use a SC, off the locations where people depend on them for travel.

Now, look at the expansion projection for the I-15 to Las Vegas! Hesperia, Yermo, Baker. That is awesome. Multiple options, making the new Nav feature showing availability actually useful.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Excited! More Coming!! to name a few I am interested in

All these places coming by end of the year 2017

Pasadena (Behind Old Town Pasadena, infront of City Hall)

Glendale (Brand and Colorado – Americana)

Hollywood – ( Cahuenga and Santa Monica)

Burbank (Across from old Ikea)

Santa Clarita (Next to Magic Mount)

City of Commerce (Bicycle Club)

Pomona (Gary & Mission)

Corona (By 6th & Main Street, near Shogun)

Northridge ( Between Plummer and Reseda)

Sherman Oak (Ventura and Van Nuys)

Thousand Oak (Westlake Blvd & Thousand Oak Blvd)

La jolla

Carlsbad

San Clemente

Lake Elsinore

Attachments

• SuperCharger.png
    SuperCharger.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • Informative