Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging costs rising

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Businesses especially those in electric vehicle charging need a price cap. Why is our government so bloody slow to action anything?

This won’t do anything to help your “goal” of halting ICE sales in the coming decades, if anything the opposite. It’s almost like you want your friends in the oil industry to continue making ridiculous profits.
Respectfully I think you’ll find that the businesses in EV charging should be expected to use any cap or reduction in VAT rate to feed their profits, not drop their prices.

The fragmented supply market in EV charging is alarmingly similar to the utterly failed home energy market in structure and behaviour and that market should be governed and regulated more strongly in order to ensure that excess revenue feeds expansion and reliability of the network first.

The tax free per mile reimbursement cap is set by the government, not by your HR Dept.
they are also "advisory" nothing to stop you claiming more or a company reimbursing you more tax free its just that you would have to be able to prove it if audited which I don't think should be too hard to do.
either that of stop claiming miles and just submit expenses claims based on actual charges. Not so easy if you do some charging at home though.

Respectfully I think you’ll find that the businesses in EV charging should be expected to use any cap or reduction in VAT rate to feed their profits, not drop their prices.

The fragmented supply market in EV charging is alarmingly similar to the utterly failed home energy market in structure and behaviour and that market should be governed and regulated more strongly in order to ensure that excess revenue feeds expansion and reliability of the network first.
indeed they can charge what they like but if some drop prices based on cost reduction and others don't then the market will vote with their feet. hands up anyone who was a regular visitor to Ionity over the last few years. Osprey are in danger of pricing themselves out of the market unless others follow them.

indeed they can charge what they like but if some drop prices based on cost reduction and others don't then the market will vote with their feet. hands up anyone who was a regular visitor to Ionity over the last few years. Osprey are in danger of pricing themselves out of the market unless others follow them.
Thankfully the UK has a pretty decent market in most areas. Certainly for long distance driving, we can make out choice out of Tesla, Gridserve, Ionity (Via Bonnet), Instavolt, Osprey (Via Bonnet), BP, MFG. That's not just on price, but also charging speed, availability, reliability.
I suspect they'll all be raising the prices though

Quite.

Hopefully this isn’t too far off topic, but does anyone know of an smartphone app where you can describe the UK public charging arrangements you have and it’ll tell you which method to charge for the cheapest amount?

I’m thinking of something SWMBO proof that says “about to charge here? It’s cheapest through the Bonnet app” or “use your Electroverse card to bill this charge to your Octopus account”.

I find ABRP and Zap-Map’s setup doesn’t cover even our relatively simple bases (no Bonnet, no Electroverse)

Apologies if this is OT - I’ll happily accept a redirect to other threads.

Reactions: Sparky750
they are also "advisory" nothing to stop you claiming more or a company reimbursing you more tax free its just that you would have to be able to prove it if audited which I don't think should be too hard to do.
either that of stop claiming miles and just submit expenses claims based on actual charges. Not so easy if you do some charging at home though.
And therein lies the rub, no business wants this hassle.

I’m thinking of something SWMBO proof that says “about to charge here? It’s cheapest through the Bonnet app” or “use your Electroverse card to bill this charge to your Octopus account”.
Bonnet is currently good value, although that may change over the course of the winter. Electroverse (Formerly Octopus Electro Juice) is rarely cheaper than paying by card or via the vendors app, it's just convenient for machines which don't offer contactless card payments. (I know there was a small off-peak trial with Osprey, but you're almost certainly better off with bonnet right now). At some point, hopefully Electroverse will actually become redundant because contactless is available on all chargers.

ABRP allows you to "prefer" certain vendors, but doesn't offer a specific cost optimisation function. I can see that being useful.

Bonnet is currently good value, although that may change over the course of the winter. Electroverse (Formerly Octopus Electro Juice) is rarely cheaper than paying by card or via the vendors app, it's just convenient for machines which don't offer contactless card payments. (I know there was a small off-peak trial with Osprey, but you're almost certainly better off with bonnet right now). At some point, hopefully Electroverse will actually become redundant because contactless is available on all chargers.

ABRP allows you to "prefer" certain vendors, but doesn't offer a specific cost optimisation function. I can see that being useful.

Thanks, none of these is SWMBO proof though 😀 Full disclosure; your SWMBO may vary in technical ineptitude from my SWMBO.

Kind of after an app that says “Charge using contactless/Bonnet/drive 1 mile to Supercharger” that I can just give to her and tell her to follow the instructions.

Thanks, none of these is SWMBO proof though 😀 Full disclosure; your SWMBO may vary in technical ineptitude from my SWMBO.

Kind of after an app that says “Charge using contactless/Bonnet/drive 1 mile to Supercharger” that I can just give to her and tell her to follow the instructions.
Well, I think getting good value on charging requires far more research than needed. Last week insta was expensive, osprey was Okish. This week Osprey is JFC expensive, and insta doesn't look go bad.

Even "always use bonnet" isn't always good, could pay 30p /kwh in norfolk through Geniepoint, or 50p through bonnet

My wife doesn't drive my car, it drives "too differently" from the Tesla, and it's jarring moving between it and her Vitara. I feel the same moving between the two.

Over time, it's unlikely that "Just use the supercharger" is going to be a more expensive habit than any other rapid charging network in England. The other networks will no doubt be raising prices shortly. So I'd be quite happy for her just to plug in where the Tesla tells you to. My wife is reasonably technically minded, just if we can afford 50k for a Tesla, it's probably not the biggest deal if she just uses the superchargers vs maybe save 15p/kwh if she uses the ionity charger and bonnet

It is set by HR when they pay less than government cap
So your company pay less than 5 pence per mile?

(Taken from the Hmrc website)
Rates
The advisory electricity rate for fully electric cars is 5 pence per mile.

Hybrid cars are treated as either petrol or diesel cars for advisory fuel rates.

The advisory fuel rates for petrol, LPG and diesel cars are shown in these ta bles.

So your company pay less than 5 pence per mile?

(Taken from the Hmrc website)
Rates
The advisory electricity rate for fully electric cars is 5 pence per mile.

Hybrid cars are treated as either petrol or diesel cars for advisory fuel rates.

The advisory fuel rates for petrol, LPG and diesel cars are shown in these ta bles.
No.

5 p is for company cars (EVs).

My M3 is my own. So it is Personal car, and should be 45p on business miles (first 10k mikes a year). But my company pays 26p for petrol/diesel and 14p (!!!) For EV business miles in personal car

Also talking about sustainability and carbon neutral ...

No.

My M3 is my own. So it is Personal car, and should be 45p on business miles (first 10k mikes a year). But my company pays 26p for petrol/diesel and 14p (!!!) For EV business miles in personal car

Can you not claim back the difference in your tax return?

No.

Just tell them you don't want to use your car since you would lose money and use a pool/hire car if you need to go somewhere.
I know someone with an I4 company car who says he will insist on a pool diesel car if they ask him to take any journeys out of range.🤣He seems quite happy to top it up for free at work though for his normal commute.

The fundamental problem is how can you have a mileage based solution when some people charge at work for free, some at home for between 5-38p/kwh and others are paying 50p-£1 for rapid chargers. There is no one size fits all solution for that.

Companies may pay more or less than the Government Rate, if they pay more, it is taxable, if they pay less, you can claim the difference on your tax return.
It is only taxible if you cannot prove that the actual fuel cost per mile is higher and in line with what was paid. Company can pay as much as necessary so long as they keep the necessary receipts but no company wants to pay more or have more admin or agro from HMRC. But the idea that they cannot pay more than 5p per mile without it being taxible is just not the case.