Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging costs rising

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the difference between the difference and the full difference?
You get tax relief on the difference, not the difference.

Say the difference is 30p, that means you will get 6, 12 or 13.5p back depending if you are in the 20, 40 or 45% tax bracket. You basically get back the tax that has already been taken at source.

Just tell them you don't want to use your car since you would lose money and use a pool/hire car if you need to go somewhere.
I know someone with an I4 company car who says he will insist on a pool diesel car if they ask him to take any journeys out of range.🤣He seems quite happy to top it up for free at work though for his normal commute.

The fundamental problem is how can you have a mileage based solution when some people charge at work for free, some at home for between 5-38p/kwh and others are paying 50p-£1 for rapid chargers. There is no one size fits all solution for that.
Well at the moment I am thinking of 2 options:
A) I will drive, charge and submit charge invoice as expenses
B) there is always option to visit my customers using Train and Taxis. I know some sales guys from other parts of business doing so. If company tries to save pennies here, there's always an option to shove those through another end :D

My office is 160 miles away, and like all our Sales, we are "working from home" - visiting customers and *sugar*.

anyway, I am off to write 55 page downs length of an email to HR and head of my business :D

What's the difference between the difference and the full difference?
as mentioned - it is just tax relief.

worst is that there are 2 tiers of mileage expenses, and those with petrol/diese/hybrid, even if underpaid initially, are still paid almost 2x more than EVs. but at the same time company's "sustainability strategy is composed of three pillars – minimizing carbon footprint, enabling a low-carbon society, and engaging our employees and communities to build a more inclusive and sustainable future. " my ass :)))

And today they announce the cap for business at 21.1p from 1st Oct, so will that bring the Supercharger rates down, for at least 6 months?
I'll believe it when I'll see it.

I'm afraid EV charging operators will behave like petrol stations : hiking prices due to market conditions, but strangely, failing to lower them when costs go down... it's all about making the new prices the 'new norm' in the EV drivers collective mind...

I've just started planning my first business trip in my MY, and have just done a jaw hanging open realising that SC charges are now 67p kWh. Thats nearly 17p per mile, which ok is cheaper than the 20p a mile my Outlander cost in petrol, but not by much...

On the bright side, this car is owned by my consultancy business, so I do at least get to pay 5p a mile in company mileage (wooohooo!). I also have an arrangement with the client this trip is for to cover costs, so I will simply invoice them all SC fees on this trip. Which puts me in a rather privileged position, I know...

I've just started planning my first business trip in my MY, and have just done a jaw hanging open realising that SC charges are now 67p kWh. Thats nearly 17p per mile, which ok is cheaper than the 20p a mile my Outlander cost in petrol, but not by much...

On the bright side, this car is owned by my consultancy business, so I do at least get to pay 5p a mile in company mileage (wooohooo!). I also have an arrangement with the client this trip is for to cover costs, so I will simply invoice them all SC fees on this trip. Which puts me in a rather privileged position, I know...
You’re doing it wrong, just put your company card on your Tesla account instead of paying personally and claiming 5p back.

If the business pays for it directly then it’s not taxable

1663769070334.png

Reactions: Caramel
You’re doing it wrong, just put your company card on your Tesla account instead of paying personally and claiming 5p back.

If the business pays for it directly then it’s not taxable

View attachment 855147
It isn't taxable either way. Employee expenses are not taxable income. And company repayment of expenses - providing they are an allowable expense - are tax deductible for the company.

And today they announce the cap for business at 21.1p from 1st Oct, so will that bring the Supercharger rates down, for at least 6 months?
Everybody seems to be taking the cap on wholesale prices, and taking that to mean that 21.1p is actually a price a business will pay. You need to add transmission costs, which will bring you closer to the consumer cap rate for most.

Hopefully it will help Osprey and Tesla to drop the price, rather than pocket the difference...

Everybody seems to be taking the cap on wholesale prices, and taking that to mean that 21.1p is actually a price a business will pay. You need to add transmission costs, which will bring you closer to the consumer cap rate for most.

Hopefully it will help Osprey and Tesla to drop the price, rather than pocket the difference...

That's because that's how it was reported this morning... it's only now that people re-write their articles that it becomes clear that costs are added to the 21p. The good news it's starting at 21p, not 52p or 72p.

As you say, hopefully providers will trim their prices. I seem to recall that for me 66p is dangerously close to the price of diesel.