Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging curve.. Is there an issue with my Battery/BMS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know what data TeslaFi reports, but the miles per hour figure reported on the screen in a Tesla is an average for the session, not an instantaneous reading like the kW charge rate is. So that may impact what you are seeing in your graph. (Unless TeslaFi is calculating the miles per hour itself instead of using what Tesla provides.)

Will TeslaFi report the kW charge rate instead?

• Informative
Reactions: COrocket and SigNC
I don't know what data TeslaFi reports, but the miles per hour figure reported on the screen in a Tesla is an average for the session, not an instantaneous reading like the kW charge rate is. So that may impact what you are seeing in your graph. (Unless TeslaFi is calculating the miles per hour itself instead of using what Tesla provides.)

Will TeslaFi report the kW charge rate instead?
i don't know how it's reporting the info. If I look at my data for the charge above it said I added 219 miles. I was there for 58 minutes (lets call it an hour) My last reported mi/h was 81mi/h. So either either the number on the screen isn't the average for the session or teslafi is calculating the mi/h based on kWh added. Otherwise my last mi/h should have been in the 200 range.

I don't know what data TeslaFi reports, but the miles per hour figure reported on the screen in a Tesla is an average for the session, not an instantaneous reading like the kW charge rate is.
That used to be the case for several years, but I thought I heard that in one of the updates this last year, that got changed to an instantaneous reading too. It wasn't much talked about.

@jbuszkie,
I added your data to the same chart. It looks like the other curves.

2iB51sm.gif
Back to this.. If I look at your legend.. What do the xxkWh mean? Is that the max charger rate? Were these super chargers? I'm not sure this is an apples to apples comparison if these aren't Tesla 115kW SC stations.

I've yet to see any else's charging sessions that match mine. Everyone seems to have a flat section where they maintain
a constant rate until somewhere around 50% then they start to taper...
All mine start to taper right after they reach max rate. Here are my latest SC sessions.

Charge_update1.PNG

My best charge was when it was 33 deg outside. As you can see, none of my sessions have a flat, constant, charging rate.

Attachments

• Charge_update2.PNG
    Charge_update2.PNG
    41.8 KB · Views: 30
@jbuszkie, the chart in the video shows rated range instead of percentage (state of charge). That means the numbers need to be converted to a percentage. 310 miles would be 100%. Here is how the conversion looks like:
seSyHze.png

I'm reading the following numbers:

Minutes Percentage
10 20%
20 45%
30 63%
40 77%
50 86%
60 92%
70 96%
80 99%

In your version, the percentages look higher. For example, at the 30 minutes mark, the percentage was 63%. In your chart, the brown line shows 70%.

@jbuszkie, the chart in the video shows rated range instead of percentage (state of charge). That means the numbers need to be converted to a percentage. 310 miles would be 100%. Here is how the conversion looks like:
seSyHze.png

I'm reading the following numbers:

Minutes Percentage
10 20%
20 45%
30 63%
40 77%
50 86%
60 92%
70 96%
80 99%

In your version, the percentages look higher. For example, at the 30 minutes mark, the percentage was 63%. In your chart, the brown line shows 70%.
I took my numbers straight from the video. I [painfully] went minute by minute and recorded the SOC and the charge rate.

Reactions: Zoomit
At 30 minutes, your last chart shows 70% for the brown line but the video shows 63% exactly at this moment.

You are supposed to move each of your own lines to match the starting percentage and leave the brown line as it is. Move each of your own lines separately.

Last edited:
At 30 minutes, your last chart shows 70% but the video shows 63% exactly at this moment.

You are supposed to move each of your own lines to match the starting percentage and the brown line as it is. Move each of your own lines separately.
It was easier to move one line! :) Anyway we just need to look at relative anyway.. The brown jumps up much faster and stays higher during the duration than any of mine.

Thanks for this. What was the (approx) temp outside when you did these charges? Your graphs are what I would expect my car should do. If the battery was cold-ish.. I would still expect a sustained charge till ~50% maybe not 115kW.. but something lower but flat..
Not sure as I don't have that app anymore, it was summertime though so in the 60 to 80 degree range for sure