Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging on 60kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering what the fastest rate a 60kWh Model S could charge at. I took the car to Vegas this last weekend and was only able to see a maximum of 221 mph charging at Barstow. The supercharger looked to be a 90kw unit and based on the numbers my car wasn't even drawing the full capacity available. My car was the only vehicle there as well. What has been everyone else's experience on a 60kWh Model S?
IMG_0591.PNG

I observed a slower charge rate on the 60 kWh pack when I was at the new Burlington SC. It makes sense if the cells are the same but the 60 uses fewer of them.

Yes, even at the web site, the SuperCharger rate is published in %. So it's 20 minutes to 50%, and 30 minutes to 80%.

Of course the meaning of 50% and 80% changes depending on 60kWh vs. 85kWh, which translates into the slower charge rate you see.

The MPH of charging will vary depending on your currently rated wh/miles so it will vary depending on driving conditions. When Supercharging, the actual rate is the KW rate. Change you display to show KW or multiply the volts * the amps (the first amps number, as the second one is the maximum possible, the first one is the current amps).

We just talked about this in the Texas Supercharger thread.

60's max out at 70kW no matter what. Only 85's can come close to 90kW.

Hopefully this will change with v5.0. Has anyone with a 60 running v5.0 seen a difference at a 120kW supercharger?

You will note that when supercharging your 60 kWh Model S, Voltage is typically in the mid 320V range with current in the low 200A range. Current appears to be limited to 225A regardless of what size battery you have, but voltage is different.

Anyway, at the same SOC, the 85 kWh will have a voltage reading up near 400V with similar current and remember that Power = Current (I) * Voltage (V).

400V * 225A = 90 kW
315V * 225A = 71 kW

The screenshots indicate a maximum of 255A, but I suspect that will happen with the the 120 kW rollout.

On my 85kWh, I regularly see Supercharging currents in the ~250A range.

Peter

You will note that when supercharging your 60 kWh Model S, Voltage is typically in the mid 320V range with current in the low 200A range. Current appears to be limited to 225A regardless of what size battery you have, but voltage is different.

Anyway, at the same SOC, the 85 kWh will have a voltage reading up near 400V with similar current and remember that Power = Current (I) * Voltage (V).

400V * 225A = 90 kW
315V * 225A = 71 kW

The screenshots indicate a maximum of 255A, but I suspect that will happen with the the 120 kW rollout.

I wanted to bring this thread back since most of us have 5.8 now. I've been noticing different rates since 5.5 update. I'm a regular at the Fremont SC and I've usually start my charge around 40 miles of range left.

On 5.5, I've seen highs of 70kwh per hour and usually around 65kwh when it fires up.

On 5.8, it maxes out at 54kwh per hour.

Are you guys getting the same rates at the same low charge starting point? I'm kinda dissapointed it's not 120kwh as advertised but I'm still grateful for what I'm getting so I can go on road trips.