Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging to become limited for new cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those worried about the impact of Autopilot 2.0 on resell values, I think this will really help maintain values. When the supercharger network is all over Australia, imagine how great it would be to have the original cars that can fill up for free for life over the ones you have to pay to charge.

For those worried about the impact of Autopilot 2.0 on resell values, I think this will really help maintain values. When the supercharger network is all over Australia, imagine how great it would be to have the original cars that can fill up for free for life over the ones you have to pay to charge.

The official announcement isn't clear if all cars made before 2017 are exempt, or only the original owners are exempt from the new rules (I assume owners as of today), when the rule was implemented.

The question rests on what this line means "These changes will not impact current owners or any new Teslas ordered before January 1, 2017".

Does it mean if your car changes owners in 2017, the new owner will have to follow the new rules, or is he grandfathered in since his car was made before January 1st, 2017.

The official announcement isn't clear if all cars made before 2017 are exempt, or only the original owners are exempt from the new rules (I assume owners as of today), when the rule was implemented.

The question rests on what this line means "These changes will not impact current owners or any new Teslas ordered before January 1, 2017".

Does it mean if your car changes owners in 2017, the new owner will have to follow the new rules, or is he grandfathered in since his car was made before January 1st, 2017.

"These changes will not impact current owners or any new Teslas ordered before January 1, 2017, as long as delivery is taken before April 1, 2017"

The above statement is pretty self-explanatory.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
My car order said "Lifetime free charging". I took that to mean the life of the car, regardless of owner so hopefully they will honor that agreement. To go back on the deal would look really bad for them. I'm sure people would sue if they went back on it.

Last edited:
It's all good joninmelbourne. Tesla will honour free charging for all existing cars including my loooooong awaited Model X (Provided it gets delivered before April fools day next year).

...... Not that free supercharging is worth much in Perth at the moment on account of it not having any ;)

"These changes will not impact current owners or any new Teslas ordered before January 1, 2017, as long as delivery is taken before April 1, 2017"

The above statement is pretty self-explanatory.

Why is it self explanatory? If you sell your car to someone else, they are not the current owner. So, does it follow the car, or does it only apply to those that own cars sold before January 1st 2017, and new owners will follow the new rules.

If the unlimited charging follows the car for the life of the car, the statement should have read: These changes will not apply to cars manufactured before January 1st 2017 or ordered before January 1st 2017 and delivered before April 1st 2017.

My car order said "Lifetime free charging". I took that to mean the life of the car, regardless of owner so hopefully they will honor that agreement. To go back on the deal would look really bad for them. I'm sure people would sue if they went back on it.

They didn't go back on anything. As long as you own your car, you will have free charging for life, even if you keep it 100 years, as you are the current owner.

However, if you sell the car, the new owner could be forced to live by the new rules.

An example is the infamous Hyundai 100k mile warranty. It only applies to the 1st owner. Once you sell the car, the second owner does not get the 100k mile warranty, the warranty is now 60k miles.

Same applied or applies to Tesla service plans and extended warranties. They don't transfer to the second owner. If you buy the prepaid service plan or the 4y/50k warranty extension and sell the car, Tesla will prorate a refund, it will not allow you to transfer those to a new owner.

There are many examples of things like this being non transferable, and being void to the second owner.

I don't think they can do that.

You bought the car, paid $2000 for lifetime supercharging and there was no mention of this being removed should you sell the car. Don't see how they can suddenly change this down the track.

They sold lifetime supercharging as an option for the car. Are they going to refund people their $2000 if they sell the car?

Last edited:
Personally I should add I'm a bit annoyed. I want to add a model X but a 100kwh version. Don't really see the point of performance on the X for my use and just want a standard 100D.

Currently they are showing March delivery for orders made today. I'm hoping the 100D gets announced very soon or it seems impossible to get it delivered in Australia before April 1st.

The words are misleading agreed however in Australia we have very stick rules that are enforceable via the ACCC at no expense to the customer. Tesla have stated "current owners OR cars purchased before 1 January 2017"....that is grey enough that the ACCC will pull Tesla up on this terminology.

Unless one can find a clause in the original "Terms & Conditions" that contradict the above where it clearly (and I mean clearly) states that free super charging for life of the car is ONLY applicatable to the original purchaser/owner of the cars then yes, free super charging for the life of the car remains intact no matter who or how many people own the car over it's period of existence...period.

Maybe government departments in the USA don't have the same reach to pull companies up as they do in Australia, I really don't know, however I can assure you the ACCC are a force NOT to be reckoned with in Australia when it comes to "Terms & Conditions".

-ECIT

I think this is generally a good move for Tesla. The charging revenue will enable them to build many more Supercharger stations. This will be particularly important when the Model 3 hits the road.

Another big-picture benefit of this change is that it will encourage other companies to get into the high-speed vehicle charging business—a missing piece for buyers of other brands of electric cars. From the beginning, Tesla’s mission has been to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy and transportation, and they know it will take more than one company to accomplish that. Tesla will be better off as a small piece of a very large pie, than a big piece of a very small one.

Reactions: testa
I'm looking forward to the day we can put a big tent in the boot (or frunk) of the Model S and travel around Australia on the Supercharging network. To see more of this country for free would be an amazing perk. The small window of opportunity right of being able to buy a AP2.0 car with lifetime free Supercharging seems unmissable. I've already got my Tesla though but happy I'm already in the Tesla mission.

I don't think they can do that.

You bought the car, paid $2000 for lifetime supercharging and there was no mention of this being removed should you sell the car. Don't see how they can suddenly change this down the track.

They sold lifetime supercharging as an option for the car. Are they going to refund people their $2000 if they sell the car?

Yet again, the original owner gets lifetime supercharging. Just like the original owner got a 4Y/50K mile warranty. If you sell your car with 49k miles, the new owner doesn't get a 4Y/50K mile warranty.

Note how it was worded, original owner, if the rules followed the car for life, they would have simply stated that all cars manufactured before January 1st 2017 will retain lifetime supercharging status.

Why talk about the owners at all if the car retains the status for life.

Personally I should add I'm a bit annoyed. I want to add a model X but a 100kwh version. Don't really see the point of performance on the X for my use and just want a standard 100D.

Currently they are showing March delivery for orders made today. I'm hoping the 100D gets announced very soon or it seems impossible to get it delivered in Australia before April 1st.

I can see your point there, don't know if the Supercharger policy is world wide or just for the USA. In areas with low Tesla populations, the restrictions are kind of pointless in my humble opinion.

I think they should roll this out country by country based on how much the network gets utilized.

We still don't however know how much they will charge either. If it is pretty reasonable, I think the cost won't be a factor for most people.

The words are misleading agreed however in Australia we have very stick rules that are enforceable via the ACCC at no expense to the customer. Tesla have stated "current owners OR cars purchased before 1 January 2017"....that is grey enough that the ACCC will pull Tesla up on this terminology.

Unless one can find a clause in the original "Terms & Conditions" that contradict the above where it clearly (and I mean clearly) states that free super charging for life of the car is ONLY applicatable to the original purchaser/owner of the cars then yes, free super charging for the life of the car remains intact no matter who or how many people own the car over it's period of existence...period.

Maybe government departments in the USA don't have the same reach to pull companies up as they do in Australia, I really don't know, however I can assure you the ACCC are a force NOT to be reckoned with in Australia when it comes to "Terms & Conditions".

-ECIT

This could be interpreted country by country. The Model S fleet in Australia is probably small enough that this wouldn't become an issue for years to come, so they could say it won't apply in Australia until 2020 or 2025.

I'm looking forward to the day we can put a big tent in the boot (or frunk) of the Model S and travel around Australia on the Supercharging network. To see more of this country for free would be an amazing perk. The small window of opportunity right of being able to buy a AP2.0 car with lifetime free Supercharging seems unmissable. I've already got my Tesla though but happy I'm already in the Tesla mission.

I could see a network around the perimeter between major cities. I can't see a case where you travel across the interior with nothing but spiders and crocs for hundreds or miles and them building superchargers there.

• Funny
Reactions: Drone Flyer