Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

supercharing only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not really bad for the battery. I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are many cars that use only Superchargers and they are fine. Tesla confirmed that, to keep the battery safe and last long, they will slightly reduce the charge rate after a certain amount of charging at Superchargrs or CHADeMO. The reduction is small though.
Honestly just for the convenience I would charge my car at home as much as possible. Waiting at a Supercharger is boring. The effect on the battery is nothing to worry about.

I recall reading that SuperCharging can be healthier for the battery. Something about reducing the actual time charging helps prevent precipitates from forming around the anode/cathode. Of course, this could be outdated information and there are tons of variables involved. Just stick to Tesla's recommendations and the car will take care of itself.

you may find this long thread of interest
If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

From the thread: the PR version from Tesla:

Tesla explains why it limits Supercharging speed after high numbers of DC charges

In a statement, Tesla explains that it is a software limitation to optimize for the best possible owner experience that’s within the limits of physics. Here’s the statement in full:

“The peak charging rate possible in a li-ion cell will slightly decline after a very large number of high-rate charging sessions. This is due to physical and chemical changes inside of the cells. Our fast-charge control technology is designed to keep the battery safe and to preserve the maximum amount of cell capacity (range capability) in all conditions. To maintain safety and retain maximum range, we need to slow down the charge rate when the cells are too cold, when the state of charge is nearly full, and also when the conditions of the cell change gradually with age and usage. This change due to age and usage may increase total Supercharge time by about 5 minutes and less than 1% of our customers experience this.

Tesla is not slowing down charge rates to discourage frequent Supercharging – quite the opposite. We encourage our customers to use the Supercharger network at their discretion and we committed to doubling the number of worldwide chargers just this year. We also want to ensure that our customers have the best experience at those Superchargers and preserve as much vehicle range as possible – even after frequent usage.”

Do not let this issue cause you any angst. Tesloop has driven more miles in their Tesla than any by far. Their first car, a Model S, has over 300,000 miles on it. They only Supercharge their cars and each of their cars is Supercharged to full battery charge every day. They have no range issues.

Move onto something that is worth the time to discuss.

Andrew

Do not let this issue cause you any angst. Tesloop has driven more miles in their Tesla than any by far. Their first car, a Model S, has over 300,000 miles on it. They only Supercharge their cars and each of their cars is Supercharged to full battery charge every day. They have no range issues.

Move onto something that is worth the time to discuss.

Andrew

To be fair, they lost 6% capacity at 200k miles and Tesla replaced the battery (just to be safe). Sounds fishy to me.

Reactions: Freedom101