Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suprised on model 3 depreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been wanting to trade my 2018 rwd LR red with autopilot for the last 6 months for Performance 3. It took me submitting an online request twice, a call to service center and finally a call to corporate over a month to finally get a trade in quote. Service center said they would have someone call me with quote. A guy called back and suggested I must not have done online quote right and it was not in their system. They said they would put through and call back next day but after a week I called back and routed me to corporate. They didn't know how to look up and somebody would contact me. Got an email asking me for information on my car and after saying I wanted to trade my 3 they responded finally with a quote. Suprised it was this hard because when I traded my S for the 3 it was easy trade in quote after 1 ask. I paid $56k in July 2018. Have 10,500 miles. Was offered $33,500 "final offer". That's way more depreciation than I would have thought and $10k under water on top of being even more disorganized than ever.

That same car today is basically 47k brand new. I’m on mobile so not sure where you’re located but if in CA then minus 10k in incentives. 33k doesn’t seem bad. Its fair to say you’ll get more not dealing with a Tesla trade in so why bother?

Reactions: MP3Mike
OP,

You paid $56K but what was the net price after incentives? In CA it was $10K, that would have made it a net price of $46K.

Tesla buys cars back at wholesale. So if wholesale is $33,500, you could probably sell it privately for $37K. So $9K in real depreciation for almost a full year of use. Still not great, but not that far off from what I would have expected for first year of depreciation.

I live in NC so no state incentive. When I traded my S they gave middle of Kelly blue book online suggestion which I was suprised by. This is $11k less than kbb minimum. Agree I could get a lot more private party or through other companies. Agree it looks like right now they dont want this model trade in

Reactions: Leafdriver333
I don’t understand why everyone brings the incentives into the resale equation other than to use them in a new to me today price minus “potential” future incentives vs used price to me today minus and incentives for used EVs (such as SCE Edison’s $1,000 EV incentive new or used). Not everyone qualifies for the same incentives, which is why I ultimately think they are bad, creating false markets.

Value, or maybe worth is really determined when two parties exchange money for a given item at a given time. Might be different tomorrow.

If I buy a gallon of milk for $3.00 with a .75 coupon for a net of $2.25 how does that make the milk worth less to the guy without the coupon? What if I have a coupon doubler and now it’s $1.50 off, then 2% back on my rewards card, and fuel points too? Did I mention that my grandma is visiting and gave me the $3.00 for the milk?

None of that matters when I get back home and my neighbor frantically runs over asking if I have any milk because she has 9 cats and three kids who need their breakfast. Sure, I just back from the store, I have a fresh gallon right here...she slaps a fiver on me grabs the milk and is gone.

What does that make the milk worth?

Oh, to answer the OP your car is worth more than Tesla is offering and probably less than what you want, but you can probably get close.

I don’t understand why everyone brings the incentives into the resale equation other than to use them in a new to me today price minus “potential” future incentives vs used price to me today minus and incentives for used EVs (such as SCE Edison’s $1,000 EV incentive new or used). Not everyone qualifies for the same incentives, which is why I ultimately think they are bad, creating false markets.

Value, or maybe worth is really determined when two parties exchange money for a given item at a given time. Might be different tomorrow.

If I buy a gallon of milk for $3.00 with a .75 coupon for a net of $2.25 how does that make the milk worth less to the guy without the coupon? What if I have a coupon doubler and now it’s $1.50 off, then 2% back on my rewards card, and fuel points too? Did I mention that my grandma is visiting and gave me the $3.00 for the milk?

None of that matters when I get back home and my neighbor frantically runs over asking if I have any milk because she has 9 cats and three kids who need their breakfast. Sure, I just back from the store, I have a fresh gallon right here...she slaps a fiver on me grabs the milk and is gone.

What does that make the milk worth?

Because if everybody has a coupon for .75 off a gallon of milk, how many gallons are they going to sell for $3.00?

In California almost everyone has a coupon for a $2,500 rebate and $3,750 tax credit so how many people are going to pay equal or more money for a used car than a new one will cost them after the credits?

Indeed. And it’s foolish to think that fed/state/local incentives that the vast majority of new buyers qualify for doesn’t impact that value and worth.

Oh, to answer the OP your car is worth more than Tesla is offering and probably less than what you want, but you can probably get close.

Agree. A lowball trade offer =\= depreciation.

Because if everybody has a coupon for .75 off a gallon of milk, how many gallons are they going to sell for $3.00?

In California almost everyone has a coupon for a $2,500 rebate and $3,750 tax credit so how many people are going to pay equal or more money for a used car than a new one will cost them after the credits?
Have you been grocery shopping? Or at least seen the dumb coupon grocery shopping market show. Five people in line with identical items all pay wildly different prices. There should be rioting in every checkout line. But there’s not, because everyone agreed to the value of the items in their cart when they exchanged money, however gotten, for those goods.

You would have a better argument if these incentives were at point of sale for everyone, but they are not. Some people who didn’t understand their tax situation got nothing to only part of the incentive back when doing their taxes, and I would imagine they were the least prepared for it. Some got greater incentives based on utility, and some more again based on social economic status near the poverty level.

Is your, or any else’s Tesla in California worth less because Coloradan’s get a $5,000 incentive instead of California’s $2,500?

Not everyone has the coupon, not everyone that has the coupon uses it. The value of the coupon even changes post sale in the case of the CA EV state incentive. The state wants a % of the $2,500 back if you sell the car within a certain period of time after receiving the rebate.

The only thing that matters is what two parties negotiate.

I’m not selling my P3D+, but if I were, I’d scour various used car web sites to establish a basis and compare it to what a new similarly configured P3D+ out the door would be and then establish my listing sales price, then let the market ridicule me, or negotiate with me.

When I sold my S85, a couple months back, I got about $4,500 more than Tesla was going to give me and sold it to a friend for about $1,500 less than the used market because it was out of warranty and wanted peace of mind selling something to a friend. He and I were very open about it. In essence I gave him a little warranty and pointed him to Rich Rebuilds YouTube videos.

I have been wanting to trade my 2018 rwd LR red with autopilot for the last 6 months for Performance 3. It took me submitting an online request twice, a call to service center and finally a call to corporate over a month to finally get a trade in quote. Service center said they would have someone call me with quote. A guy called back and suggested I must not have done online quote right and it was not in their system. They said they would put through and call back next day but after a week I called back and routed me to corporate. They didn't know how to look up and somebody would contact me. Got an email asking me for information on my car and after saying I wanted to trade my 3 they responded finally with a quote. Suprised it was this hard because when I traded my S for the 3 it was easy trade in quote after 1 ask. I paid $56k in July 2018. Have 10,500 miles. Was offered $33,500 "final offer". That's way more depreciation than I would have thought and $10k under water on top of being even more disorganized than ever.
They offered me $50k for my 5 mth old P3D- with 5k miles. Carmax offered me $47k. I paid $76k before tax credit.

As with all car dealerships, do not sell it back to them unless you want to dump it. If you care about the value of the car you are ditching, stick with private buyers. Even then, be mindful of what a brand new version will cost, not what you paid for it initially. I am under no illusion that my car has retained anywhere near its initial $56k price tag. It won't matter if it has free supercharging or free premium internet features or whatever. Mass market vehicles simply do not retain their value over time, Tesla or not.

I think once you realize this, it'll be easier letting it go and getting something you really want.

I tried to do exact same thing for my dual motor long range that I paid 47500 for but could order for 51000 at the time...this was literally 6 weeks ago...car had 200 miles on it...they said they give me 40K in trade in....I passed.
Again, though...you got a tax incentive. So you would basically be out $3500?

What exactly where you expecting?

Yes the cars have depreciated because of the large price cuts given since march. They've been consistently reducing the price.

I think your best bet would be to trade your car in privately and buy a used performance model 3.