Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprised not to see a discussion thread about the brand new Energy screens / Charts in Tesla app [7.15.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3 / Y, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I opened my Tesla app this morning, clicked the ENERGY menu on the Screen that shows my house and energy flows, to check info for today like I do every day, and was met with brand new looking energy graphs and screens.

This is on iOS, on Tesla app 4.23.2-1815

Its different, for sure. My first impression is favorable, unlike when they changed this last time and my first impression was negative. The only thing I noticed right away is in the data screens "week" view is gone, I have Day, Month, Year and lifetime. I dont tend to start threads myself (even from before I was a moderator) so I was waiting for someone to start a thread on this, and was somewhat surprised no one had yet.

Did I get this before others? Perhaps thats why no one is talking about it.

Sure enough…

/forces update

IMG_9415.jpeg

Not bad. Will take a little getting used to but the literal 1-minute-in reaction is positive I think.

Might need to work on the graph scaling a bit… I assume it’s because I briefly spiked over 16kw earlier today (don’t judge, it’s hot as balls, we just got back from a camping trip so are doing 20 loads of laundry and charging cars on solar because it’s the weekend so off-peak almost all day ;) ), but that’s a lot of wasted space on the display.

IMG_9416.jpeg

I didnt read the patch notes when the app updated so I was a bit surprised. I actually clicked the "learn more" info thing, and glanced through it.

I seem to remember something about them saying the graph scaling wasnt set (paraphrased).

Yeah like you, my first impression is somewhat positive, where my first impression on the last major update was pretty negative (took me a while to get used to it).

What annoys me about the changes is when I choose the Grid option. I used to show me the Net, which as a Net Metering customer is the key number with a financial impact. How it provides the total in each direction, to and from the grid, but does not show the sum of the two, which is of most interest to me. Yeah, it is easy to do the arithmetic, but there is room to display it next to the in and out numbers.

It doesn't seem to be released for Android yet. I guess I'll have to wait to try it out.

I have to admit though that I haven't been using the energy app as much lately since a forum member put this web app together:

I just keep a browser tab open to it on my phone and can see everything important on one screen.

Here is a link to the "learn more" info that tesla has for these energy graphs:

I mentioned earlier I remembered them saying something about scale, and here is that statement from the link above:

===================================

The size of the graph data is relative to the amount of energy generated or consumed and not to the component you are viewing. A kW will have the same visual height across all components, and the graph axis will rebalance as you swipe between days. For example, data for solar produced on a rainy day may be smaller than data for large amounts of excess solar that was exported to the grid.

===================================

I do agree with you, @tfan2018 that the scale looks off (the numbers are too big, making the visual graphs too compressed). I also agree with @RHinCT said earlier, in that it was easier previously to see net energy usage than it is now. I hope they bring that back.

Reactions: tfan2018 and RHinCT
If you track all your readings in a spreadsheet like I do, all you have to do is add an "=SUM(from the net - to the net)" function to the column that used to contain the overall net plus or minus, then tell it to apply that function to the whole column. Also, I see that the Powerwalls % readout is no longer available, which is no great loss since it was pretty meaningless anyways.

The graphs are more like the graphs from the original APP
Yes, it's nice to see they are somewhat similar to the graphs that went away years ago. You could see so much information all at once.

OMG! They finally added a date picker so you can instantly jump to a date in the past. We've been waiting for this functionality for years!

I realize that this is something trivial but being somewhat dyslexic, I have to stop and think that in the GRID display screen "Imported" means coming in from the grid and "Exported" means going out to the grid. I would rather just have "FROM" and "TO" the grid.

Like I said trivial but...

What annoys me about the changes is when I choose the Grid option. I used to show me the Net, which as a Net Metering customer is the key number with a financial impact. How it provides the total in each direction, to and from the grid, but does not show the sum of the two, which is of most interest to me. Yeah, it is easy to do the arithmetic, but there is room to display it next to the in and out numbers.

They stopped shading peak or shoulder time :(

Don’t like it. The y axis is set far too high, so solar production looks like a small hump.
It's certainly things like that which should get addressed (and hopefully sooner than later).

I realize that this is something trivial but being somewhat dyslexic, I have to stop and think that in the GRID display screen "Imported" means coming in from the grid and "Exported" means going out to the grid. I would rather just have "FROM" and "TO" the grid.

Like I said trivial but...
My utility meter is in the utilities perspective. I always have to think about that whenever I look at it. :)

Reactions: BGbreeder