TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Suspension Problem on Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by gpcordaro, Apr 28, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

I have the exact same issue. Just went to the Mississauga SC at 6:15PM and had a tech look at it to determine if it's safe for my trip tomorrow to Ottawa; it turned out it's not. They asked me to come in the morning to hook me up with a rental since Enterprise was already closed and obviously they don't have a loaner for me in a such short notice. They won't be able to work on it until maybe Friday or Saturday. I hate it when I can't use my car when I need it. :(

• Informative x 1
  2. MassModel3

MassModel3 Member

Good thing you took it in! Glad they found the problem, but big suck on not being able to take it on your trip.

3. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

Sorry to hear that - hope you get your car back soon. Let us know what they did to fix it.

4. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

A 2014?! What exactly was wrong?

5. gpcordaro

gpcordaro Member

WOW I am glad you found out before it was to late and had an accident. The only people checking their cars are the ones reading this thread or the mechanic type. What about the woman of non mechanic type men? Are they having the same problems? Is this causing accidents?

• Like x 1
  6. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

No evidence of such, so probably not.

• Disagree x 1
  7. Dennis87

Dennis87 Member

#227 Dennis87, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    • Informative x 1
  8. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

The reality is IF this is a design flaw, we're going to start seeing crashes because of it as things start to break on cornering or hard braking MSs and it will turn into a safety recall. I just turned 222K miles on my Prius yesterday with $zero out of pocket repair costs. My recently sold Lexus turned 334K miles right before I sold it with no major issues for its entire 17 year life.

If it's not a design flaw and is an isolated incident, then you're out $1500 additional dollars. If you'd signed the goodwill agreement and it later turns into a recall, you'd still have been able to recoup the extra $1500.

9. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

The OP wouldn't have known about the pre-mature wear had the ball joint not popped out. It popping out could be the fluke. The pre-mature wear could be the norm. Has anyone else had their ball joints inspected that we know about?

10. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Wait, does the ball joint assembly doesn't have a grease fitting? How do you lubricate the ball joints without that???

[​IMG]

11. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

How many miles did you have? i.e. how many miles left before they need to be replaced again but out of warranty?

12. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

Most vehicles today are not greaseable. Back in the day when I used to drive SAABs, the old 900 from the 80's had greaseable ball joints, then they dropped it.

13. Avenger

Avenger Banned

Exactly. Cars built in the 1980s and before have grease gun fittings ( I own a grease gun that I used on my 1968 buick in my college days). In the olden days when a ball joint would fail, the ball joint could be pressed out of the control arm, then a new ball joint would be pressed back into the control arm. Today a mechanic orders up a new control arm with the ball joints intact.

14. sheltz32tt

sheltz32tt Member

The Model S I am buying just had the driver side front Knuckle/Balljoint replaced. 2013 81K miles. Was making some pretty bad noises at low speeds and at park when turning the steering wheel to lock.

15. badbot

badbot Member

I would ask them to put in writing that ball joint separation is "normal" if they ask why say for the evening news.
    It looks like it was never lubed. How many miles are on it?

16. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

Will do. Thanks!

I will post about it once I get the car back. From my understanding, these things happen even to brand new cars.

17. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

51,904 km.

18. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

So if it occurs again at the same rate, it's have 64K miles on it the next time and be out of warranty. That's nuts.

19. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

True, but there are a couple of big ifs. I assume Tesla is improving designs so maybe the new part will last longer, plus there's some amount of randomness in these failures - maybe I was just unlucky. But you could be right - another reason to get the extended warranty.

20. gpcordaro

gpcordaro Member

I just heard back from NHTSA on my worn or failed ball joints. They said that the were of poor quality and failed prematurely. They are looking for other examples or samples to test, to see if it is a bad batch at the production level or a bad design.
    If you have experienced a similar incident, I urge you to have the old parts saved by your Service Center and contact NHTSA for them to test the quality of the parts. This is a matter of Public Safety. Here is their contact information.

Defects Assessment Division

Office of Defects Investigation

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

NVS-211 Rm 48-218

1200 New Jersey Avenue. SE.

Washington D.C 20590

Phone - 202-366-5410

Fax - 202-366-1767

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.