Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Problem on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Chevy suburban had fewer miles than the Tesla in question, but we had to replace the front ball joints - TWICE! They lasted less than 30,000 miles each time. Chevy made us pay through the nose each time. This is a perfect example of "no good deed goes unpunished" for Tesla. When I sold my 2013 model S last year, the suspension parts still looked new, and I live in a snowy state with lots of salt. Don't know what to make of this story....

Reactions: TMSE
I'm sure they will be trying to determine: which happened first, the crash or the suspension failure...
Obviously the crash. All they need to do is ask the owners.

Because no one walks away from a crashed Tesla because of a broken suspension and says "Oh well, that happens I guess. I'll just buy a new one." If *any* of the suspension failures happened first, that information would be everywhere.

There is a reason why the Model S has a five star crash rating in every category. That's because the crumple zones, tires and everything else that's non-essential will be destroyed first. Thus dissipating the energy and leaving the occupants unharmed.

Sigh. All you have to do is read the warranty.

In the exclusion sections:

"Driving the vehicle off-road, over uneven, rough, damaged or hazardous surfaces, including but not limited to, curbs, potholes, unfinished roads, debris, or other obstacles, or in competition, racing or autocross or for any other purposes for which the vehicle is not designed;"

Additionally:

"Tesla may also occasionally offer to pay a portion or all of the cost of certain vehicle repairs that are no longer covered by this New Vehicle Limited Warranty on an ad hoc case-by-case basis. Tesla reserves the right to do the above and to make changes to vehicles manufactured or sold by Tesla and the applicable warranties, at any time, without incurring any obligation to make the same or similar payment or changes for vehicles Tesla previously manufactured or sold, or applicable warranties including this New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Nothing herein shall imply that any Tesla vehicle is free of defects."

We are not in a court of law so it is ridiculous to try and define off-road here. Besides, were we in a court of law it would be pretty obvious that a steep hill, requiring air suspension to be raised to max, and requiring a person to drive 2-5 miles an hour is unlikely to be normal use in a luxury sedan....

Sure driving on ANY road that damages the vehicle is not covered under warranty. Hitting a pothole and bending your wheel will not be covered under warranty. Driving on a rough road or an unpaved road that damages your car will not be covered under warranty.

That is not the same as driving on a dirt road will automatically void your warranty. Lots of people live on dirt roads out in rural areas. Heck, I've been diverted via a detour 3 times onto dirt roads since I've owned my MS. One of them was gravel. Pissed off all the people behind me because I was driving slow enough to keep rocks from being thrown up into the wheel well.

Because no one walks away from a crashed Tesla because of a broken suspension and says "Oh well, that happens I guess. I'll just buy a new one." If *any* of the suspension failures happened first, that information would be everywhere.

There is a reason why the Model S has a five star crash rating in every category. That's because the crumple zones, tires and everything else that's non-essential will be destroyed first. Thus dissipating the energy and leaving the occupants unharmed.
What's wrong with you? Why are you bringing reason and logic into this thread! :mad:

• Funny
Reactions: BornToFly
You do know that these are mostly Keef Wivaneff, right?

Do you have proof that that is true or are you just hoping it is true?

More importantly, even if it is one person, are you claiming that all that information is made up? If that is the case, then you should notify the NHTSA and have them investigate Mr. WIvaneff.

If that is not what you are claiming, you should try adding "This is just my imagination" to your posts rather than trying to portray them as facts.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
Not if Tesla determined the car was at fault, replaced the car with an NDA. Who'd know? Not saying it has happened, let's wait for the investigation
Sigh, except you missed the huge logical fallacy here: If Tesla created a car with a catastrophic defect, and you were in an accident, and Tesla came to you and said "shhh, sign this NDA, and we'll give you another death trap for free!" no sane person would sign the NDA, and instead just have their insurance pay them out and buy a safer car.

On a slightly
Hmm, that definition includes a lot of "paved" roads here in CA. Granted, if I hit a giant pothole that then damages my suspension (been there, done that), I don't expect that to be covered under warranty. But many of the maintained streets in my town are unpaved. Guess if I lived on one, I shouldn't buy a Tesla.

I wonder if the X warranty says the same thing? I'd be pretty unhappy about buying an SUV that I couldn't actually take down a dirt road.

I'm not sure what the X warranty says but I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If anything could be learned from this thread and incident it is that Tesla will actually be quite helpful even when your car is completely out of warranty.

Don't forget that if you don't buy a Tesla you will be buying something else and nobody can say their warranty isn't even more limited.

The Model S is the best car I have ever had the pleasure of driving and as a 32 year old, I believe it is the first car I've seen actually made for my generation. You should enjoy it (or the X) and not let these weird things turn you away from it.

My initial experience with Tesla was very much like this. Initially, it was very concerning and poorly managed and communicated. However, as soon as I made the issue known they were incredibly helpful and kind and have gone above and beyond to make it right.

I am not a "Tesla fan boy" but I do believe the company has a better "heart" than most.

igh, except you missed the huge logical fallacy here: If Tesla created a car with a catastrophic defect, and you were in an accident, and Tesla came to you and said "shhh, sign this NDA, and we'll give you another death trap for free!" no sane person would sign the NDA, and instead just have their insurance pay them out and buy a safer car.

Tesla owners really love their cars, most can't imagine driving anything else.

Because no one walks away from a crashed Tesla because of a broken suspension...

Funny!!

I know, right! Man, how is it that people aren't taking their cars back to their home and independently determining what the cause of the accident was??? Because, like man, that is how it happens in all accidents!

After all, it is technically impossible for a crash to be caused by a broken suspension. Suspensions can ONLY break due to the force of an accident, especially if the accident was caused by a deer in the road or something totes out of Tesla's control.

Reactions: X Yes?
There's a very fine line, it's almost invisible but if you look hard enough you can see it, between loving your car and being suicidal.

Go check out the X Forums about the driver door latch.
People drive their X while holding their door closed. LOL.

I am not sure how safety conscious/suicidal/zealots they are. I mean if you can afford a $130k that you love for the safety, you can probably spring for a AAA membership and have it towed.

Funny!!

I know, right! Man, how is it that people aren't taking their cars back to their home and independently determining what the cause of the accident was??? Because, like man, that is how it happens in all accidents!

After all, it is technically impossible for a crash to be caused by a broken suspension. Suspensions can ONLY break due to the force of an accident, especially if the accident was caused by a deer in the road or something totes out of Tesla's control.
Have you ever been in an accident? I've never been in an accident where I haven't pretty much immediately known the cause.

I was in this CR-V - should I be suing Honda because of a faulty suspension? Look at that tire!
Ulykke_5586758a.jpg

Sure driving on ANY road that damages the vehicle is not covered under warranty. Hitting a pothole and bending your wheel will not be covered under warranty. Driving on a rough road or an unpaved road that damages your car will not be covered under warranty.

That is not the same as driving on a dirt road will automatically void your warranty. Lots of people live on dirt roads out in rural areas. Heck, I've been diverted via a detour 3 times onto dirt roads since I've owned my MS. One of them was gravel. Pissed off all the people behind me because I was driving slow enough to keep rocks from being thrown up into the wheel well.

His warranty voided by 75K miles, not dirty road!!

Status
Not open for further replies.