Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switch to a Porsche Taycan or Audi E-Tron GT?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it appears the Audi E-Tron GT appears to be the better choice over the Taycan for now anyway. I now need to figure out if the build quality and driving pleasure of the Audi outweighs all of the technology and convenience of owning a Tesla!. I don't think this will be an easy decision to make!

Reactions: gangzoom
When we broke down earlier in the year and had to be recovered, I asked the recovery chap (who is contracted by various EV manufacturers) how reliable the Tesla's were compared with other EV's. 'Pretty good, don't buy a Porsche...'

It always strikes me as odd that if someone expresses some commitment to a brand like Porsche or Audi they are regarded as having sound judgement in buying solid German engineering and are to be congratulated on their purchase. Anyone expressing the same interest in Tesla is a fan boy who clearly knows nothing about cars and has more money than sense! (despite the Tesla price being less).

If money and range were not in question - I would choose the e-tron GT. Purely subjective, I like how it looks.

I'm also in the middle of moving away from Tesla, at least for a while, but for the time being I also lost a bit of confidence in the EV trend in general. If asked about a year ago, I would've said I'll never buy an ICE again... I'm buying an ICE and trading in my Model S. At least in the US, if you want anything other than Tesla, there just won't be enough range or proper charging infrastructure for longer drives to make sense.

When we broke down earlier in the year and had to be recovered, I asked the recovery chap (who is contracted by various EV manufacturers) how reliable the Tesla's were compared with other EV's. 'Pretty good, don't buy a Porsche...'
When my Dads Macan tyre pressure sensor batteries died the car showed traction, drivetrain and stability malfunctions. It went into limp home mode and shut down a few times! He thought he had a major issue and was amazed it was such a minor cause.

No one buys a Porche for reliability though, do they?

As much as we like to pretend brand image doesn't matter, it does 100% for me. Porsche is an aspiration, an Audi is an Audi (no matter the price tag).

My plan is to slum it out in the X till we are in a position to buy something like a Taycan, it might take another 10 years but one day I'll own a brand new Porsche:).

The most unreliable cars I have had have been Porsche and BMW…and my customer experience have been poor. I think the misconception here is that buying German means better build quality, just because the door closes with a heavier thud, or the aura around a ‘prestige car’ is better with Porsche etc, certainly doesn’t mean you are guaranteed a problem free car.

My feeling would be to get the new MP3 with potentially better build quality, and give the new one another chance, especially with the offer given.

The only other thing i would mention is I avoided Tesla for many years until I felt now was the right time. When I first sat in a model 3 in the showroom I was deeply unimpressed with the build quality and with colleagues who were going mad for the model s at the time it seemed clear from their experience Tesla wasnt quite at the stage where I would want to dive in and get one. Even in 2020.

Now that the model 3 is truly a high volume, and evolving car, my hope is that the majority of issues have been ironed out and the chances of a lemon are slim…

With the money you save by not buying a etron-GT or taycan (which to me would not solve my ongoing GT3 itch) you can buy a nice second hand Porsche with low miles and take it to the country on the weekends to recover that 3 pedal feeling 😂. Or even better, avoid these companies and get a Gtr or RCF…

Reactions: UkNorthampton
As many of you will know i have been locked into a battle with Tesla trying to reject my 2020 M3P since April 2021. They have basically messed me around for the last 6 months agreeing to accept rejection of vehicle due to it being of unsatisfactory quality (see my previous thread for more information). But they want me to take out a new 48 month agreement and order a new M3P. They have agreed to give me a deposit contribution taking into account the M3P is £4k more expensive and they have also offered me £1500 cash compensation. I am mulling over what to do and then it dawned on me that perhaps i should just move to a different brand all together. I have been researching the Audi e-Tron and Taycan forums and the unanimous feeling is that they e-Tron and Taycan are far superior to the M3P albeit at much higher prices which are affordable to me. However upon doing my research i feel that i would really miss the following things about my Tesla if i were to move to a Taycan or E-Tron GT:
  • One pedal driving
  • Auto pilot
  • Integrated dash cam and sentry mode
  • Supercharger network
  • Lack of regular servicing requirements
  • Tesla app
  • Understated looks
My understanding from all of the Taycan and E-Tron GT owners is that these cars are far better built and drive far better which i am sure we will all agree on however none of them can compete with Tesla with the above key areas that i would definitely miss.

Despite my exceptionally poor experience of Tesla with respect to my car's build quality i am finding myself in a position where i am not sure if a Taycan or E-Tron GT would provide a better overall package for me

I would appreciate any thoughts/insights that might help me make a decision on this
You should take a look at these articles before you make your decision... Audi has a different charging system than Porsche.

I have been researching the Audi e-Tron and Taycan forums and the unanimous feeling is that they e-Tron and Taycan are far superior to the M3P albeit at much higher prices which are affordable to me.
I presume you know the waiting time for delivery of these cars, I enquired about a Taycan last month and it was a 9 month wait list.

It always strikes me as odd that if someone expresses some commitment to a brand like Porsche or Audi they are regarded as having sound judgement in buying solid German engineering and are to be congratulated on their purchase. Anyone expressing the same interest in Tesla is a fan boy who clearly knows nothing about cars and has more money than sense! (despite the Tesla price being less).
True, but equally some people think one breakdown person expressing an opinion that they're rubbish must be right whereas someone saying their Tesla is causing problems is just a lone voice in the wilderness and its only people with issues that mention them on the internet. It works both ways, hearsay isn't data.

There's more than a healthy dose of both confirmation bias where we want to believe what we want to believe (it's human nature and none of us are above it, and on a Tesla forum you're naturally going to get a lot more confirmation towards Tesla) coupled with expectations v reality which are rarely objective. Buy a Porsche and you expect no issues and so even a minor one is a major disappointment, whereas be prepared for no end of issues and just having a handful of problems is seen as a result. There's a chap on here whos MCU is failing repeatedly and Tesla still havent fixed it and he's happy, objectively thats absolutely dreadful customer service, subjectively he thinks it ok. People take delivery and there's often "nothing wrong, just a few minor things to be addressed..."

Reactions: Campi
No one buys a Porche for reliability though, do they?

As much as we like to pretend brand image doesn't matter, it does 100% for me. Porsche is an aspiration, an Audi is an Audi (no matter the price tag).

My plan is to slum it out in the X till we are in a position to buy something like a Taycan, it might take another 10 years but one day I'll own a brand new Porsche:).
Sadly this attitude is why Porsche thinks it can get away with charging a minimum of £2304 for 2 services on a Taycan, because their clientele would be offended if they didn't continue to have their pants pulled down, even after buying a car that shouldn't need anything like the same sort of maintenance their previous ICE cars did. I dare say the Audi probably has similar requirements, just a bit cheaper (or not).

And good luck selling a Taycan that hasn't had this service regime adhered to.

The last Porsche I had I bought because it was a great drivers car. I found the whole "now you're one of the elite" attitude from some people about it distasteful. That said obviously people do buy them because they think it makes them a better person, above the proles, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrT3 and cucubits
I found the whole "now you're one of the elite" attitude from some people about it distasteful. That said obviously people do buy them because they think it makes them a better person, above the proles, etc.
It’s as if there aren’t Tesla owners thinking they’re saving the planet while still holidaying in the Caribbean and changing their EV every 2 years.

I would say to MP3BOSS...you got unlucky and had a lemon, that is unfortunate with any major purchase. You also dealt with Tesla staff, not the easiest of things. They remind me of real estate agents during a housing boom, they think they know what they’re doing, but come the down turn they will as much use as chocolate teapots.
But, they have offered you compensation and that is probably more to do with your persistence than their generosity.
So, if it were me, I’d take their offer. What are the odds that you get two lemons in a row? Many here, including me, are satisfied (so far, touch wood) with their Teslas. You know it’s the car you want, you know it has the technology that you want.
I understand people wanting a Porsche. But an electric Porsche ? Make your choice either a Tesla or a (ice) Porsche

Last edited:
Reactions: Campi and cucubits
It’s as if there aren’t Tesla owners thinking they’re saving the planet while still holidaying in the Caribbean and changing their EV every 2 years.
I bought mine because I'm an IT geek and it's the closest thing to "moreeeeee tech" that I can get in a car.

Also - it's blisteringly quick, only marginally slower to a supercar I had previously (and not by much), and doesn't cost a fortune to maintain.

The environmental credentials, for me, were far down the list, incidental really. No one needs a ~£60k EV.