Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from TM3 to Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know honestly. For $85k these days you get a barebone MS pretty much. That said I would feel safer buying a Tesla because I fear that it's going to take more than 1 iteration to get this right

It seems to be the first non Tesla EV ever though that looks nice though... maybe jaguar is on to something
I got a 2017 MS 90D, EA, white interior, and updated paint option for $89k after showroom discount. So definitely possible to get Nicely optioned MS for around that price ;)

Regarding range, both the Model S and the Model X have significantly less aerodynamic drag than the i-Pace, so this affects the range substantially. If you're cruising at 75 mph, I wouldn't expect to get much further in an i-Pace than in a Model X 75D. And a Model S 75D would beat both by a fair margin.
Cd is meaningless without area.
CdA is what matters, not Cd. CdA of iPace has not been revealed yet.

Bolt have nearly the exact same range in WLTP and EPA while Nissan Leaf have 17% longer range in WLTP then EPA.

EPA has quirks with EV ranges. If manufacturer recommends 80% charge, EPA counts that as one of the factors when calculating range.
Tesla doesn't have any specific recommendation and EPA used 100% charge.
Nissan locked out 80% charge mode in US to get "better" range from EPA. Nonsense. Maybe this happened again.

BMW X1 is 20cm shorter than iPace and iPace is 30cm shorter than Model X.
X1 holds less cargo in the trunk , iPace 650l vs X1 500l.
So we can rest assure, iPace is not tiny vehicle. Nor is actually X1.
X5 holds 650l in trunk though it is 15cm longer. than iPace.
Model 3 holds 400l in the trunk.
Therefore, if we put aside emotions and just look at the facts, iPace is not small. Not even to US standards.
iPace has stubby nose (no ICE). It has much more "stuff" inside (compared to Tesla), making it look smaller from inside, definitely.

iPace come with 18" 255mm wide tires as standard. Those will reduce drag compared to smallest offer on Model X.

iPace definitely has battery cooling as it can charge at 100kW. Therefore I think it has glycol plate beneath pouches, like Bolt.
As iPace also has heat pump, it can likely heat not only cabin, but also battery with 300-400% efficiency.
Or maybe, iPace will not bother with daily aggressive battery heating near/below freezing.
It requires a LOT of power annually. Which can all be saved (Leaf has unrestricted acceleration down to -10*C chemistry
and mostly unrestricted regen down to around -5*C, that is totally adequate).

I've estimated 2.4 square meter front area. That gives the aerodynamic drags thusly:

Model S: CdA = 0.24 x 2.34 m^2 = 0.5616 m^2
Model X: CdA = 0.25 x 2.59 m^2 = 0.6475 m^2
i-Pace: CdA = 0.29 x 2.4 m^2 = 0.696 m^2

So the i-Pace has ~7.5% more aerodynamic drag than the Model X and ~24% more aerodynamic drag than the Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: Nathan and EinSV
I've estimated 2.4 square meter front area. That gives the aerodynamic drags thusly:

Model S: CdA = 0.24 x 2.34 m^2 = 0.5616 m^2
Model X: CdA = 0.25 x 2.59 m^2 = 0.6475 m^2
i-Pace: CdA = 0.29 x 2.4 m^2 = 0.696 m^2

So the i-Pace has ~7.5% more aerodynamic drag than the Model X and ~24% more aerodynamic drag than the Model S.
@Yggdrasill, out of curiosity, what would you estimate model 3 CdA? Gracias, amigo.

Without a supercharger network it is, however, nothing more than a city car.
This is getting repetitive. It's not "supercharger" network that is required. It's fast charging network.
Fast like at least 50kW. 100kW is also fast charging.
Years ago, Model S was "nothing more than a city car" - it's incorrect. Same story for iPace today.

Years ago, Tesla had much much less places to charge than there are CCS chargers now.
n-TESLA-628x314.jpg

And those who got the vehicle did not complain.

CCS network looks like that today:
ccs_us.jpg

It's not like there is nothing at all today. And 1-2 plugs is not that bad, considering most of those plugs are dusty.
My local network has online map that tells me which chargers are in use. TBH, anything further away from cities are almost always free.
As demand on CCS grows, so will the network. I see much more dots in upper left and right corners (compared to SC).

There is nothing wrong with SC network, but all other carmakers are forced to use CCS (they could use SC, time will tell),
that means, as clock ticks, more and more CCS's will be available. And that growth will be much faster than SC network.
I bet multi-plug chargers are around the corner. AFAIK, 100-150kW versions all can handle at least 2 vehicles (like SC).
And VIN-based identification&payment protocol should be ready this year.

+1, I also don't care for the Supercharger network, I'm more than happy with DCFC network.

For example, in San Mateo, California there is a Supercharger and DCFC charging on Hillsdale Ave where the Whole Foods is.

The SC always has a long line, the DCFC is always empty.

If there is enough range, I would be more than happy with DCFC stations. Also, I know that Nissan and BMW (at least used to) provide 3 years of free unlimited charging at the evGO network in USA.

That said, I don't use fast charging very often anyways so it's not a big deal, but always nice to know that it's mostly available. My guess is that most people who own Teslas probably don't use it either. My colleague has a MX for 2 years now and he's never been to an SC.

California might be an outlier, but I have at least 3 DCFC stations that are closer to my house than the nearest SC..

There is nothing wrong with SC network, but all other carmakers are forced to use CCS (they could use SC, time will tell), that means, as clock ticks, more and more CCS's will be available. And that growth will be much faster than SC network. I bet multi-plug chargers are around the corner. AFAIK, 100-150kW versions all can handle at least 2 vehicles (like SC). And VIN-based identification&payment protocol should be ready this year.

The supercharger network is nice and facilitated a lot of early adoption, but I agree with you. Over time the market demand will drive exponential growth in public charging stations and the associated charging technology capabilities. Its already happening. The supercharger network is not a sustainable competitive advantage for Tesla. The collective resources of the rest of the world will outstrip and outdo those of one company.

Have fun charging it on road trips.

It seems like 90% of people on this forum are road trip enthusiasts!

The truth is that I don't take many road trips a year, and when I do, they are to pretty remote places. I could always rent a nice big comfy ICE car for cheap for the one-two times I do this.

If you have all the time in the world to constantly be on road trips on popular routes then yes Tesla is the logical choice, but I doubt there are many such people.

California might be an outlier, but I have at least 3 DCFC stations that are closer to my house than the nearest SC..

Why would you need a super charger anywhere near Los Gatos when you can charge in San Luis Obispo, or Roseville?

You do realize that you are NOT supposed to drive all the way to San Mateo or Gilroy anytime you want to charge your vehicle up right?

There's a charging station really close to you, that you should be using:

It's called "your garage".

EPA has quirks with EV ranges. If manufacturer recommends 80% charge, EPA counts that as one of the factors when calculating range.
Tesla doesn't have any specific recommendation and EPA used 100% charge.
Nissan locked out 80% charge mode in US to get "better" range from EPA. Nonsense. Maybe this happened again.

BMW X1 is 20cm shorter than iPace and iPace is 30cm shorter than Model X.
X1 holds less cargo in the trunk , iPace 650l vs X1 500l.
So we can rest assure, iPace is not tiny vehicle. Nor is actually X1.
X5 holds 650l in trunk though it is 15cm longer. than iPace.
Model 3 holds 400l in the trunk.
Therefore, if we put aside emotions and just look at the facts, iPace is not small. Not even to US standards.
iPace has stubby nose (no ICE). It has much more "stuff" inside (compared to Tesla), making it look smaller from inside, definitely.

iPace come with 18" 255mm wide tires as standard. Those will reduce drag compared to smallest offer on Model X.

iPace definitely has battery cooling as it can charge at 100kW. Therefore I think it has glycol plate beneath pouches, like Bolt.
As iPace also has heat pump, it can likely heat not only cabin, but also battery with 300-400% efficiency.
Or maybe, iPace will not bother with daily aggressive battery heating near/below freezing.
It requires a LOT of power annually. Which can all be saved (Leaf has unrestricted acceleration down to -10*C chemistry
and mostly unrestricted regen down to around -5*C, that is totally adequate).
Yes, but this was the new Nissan Leaf there you said Nissan have taking away this wish prof that there are difference in EPA and WLTP.

Believe it or not but there are more then one way to measure cargo volume wish is why you don’t see the same size on a US page and a European page. Wish standard that are more accurate is up to discussion and it’s not always manufacturers write wish standard they use but if you look at the US websites Model S have 30 cubic feet, Model 3 15 cubic feet and I Pace have 17,34 cubic feet.

2019 Jaguar I-PACE Electric - Pricing & Specs | Jaguar USA

Plane>motorhome>van>large SUV>ultra-luxury sedan>EVs sold today when it comes to road trips.

Depends on your priorities. Autopilot is more important than almost anything on a road trip, IMO. I'll take my Model 3 on a road trip over a Rolls Royce Wraith, a Bentley Benyaga, a <insert model of van here>, or a <insert model of motorhome here> because of that. I hate commercial air travel but I'll still fly for anything further than about 5 hours of driving though.

I don't see the appeal of a larger car on a road trip really, though. If it's got room for me and my crap, bigger isn't useful.

I live in SoCal. I have a SuC located 4 miles from my house, one under construction 10 miles from me, and one 18 miles from me. The nearest DCFC is located 75 miles away.

An I-Pace would work for me for local travel since I charge at home with Solar City panels. However, any trips longer than a couple hundred miles would be problematic for me personally.

I live in SoCal. I have a SuC located 4 miles from my house, one under construction 10 miles from me, and one 18 miles from me. The nearest DCFC is located 75 miles away.

An I-Pace would work for me for local travel since I charge at home with Solar City panels. However, any trips longer than a couple hundred miles would be problematic for me personally.

Why? You bring examples of SuC around your house - you should would never use them, even on a road trip.
Then you tell that there is a FC (DCFC is long abbreviation, there are no ACFC, anything below 50kW is not fast)
a third range away from your home. Well, in case of road trip, you should skip that one as well.
Consider chargers that are 150 miles away. We are talking about vehicle with 90kWh battery, not 24kWh Leaf:D