Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching to Octopus Go (from British Gas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I was wondering if I can get some clarification/advice for switch over to Octopus go.

As I understand I will need to do the following:

1. Firstly ask you kind members for a referral code :)
2. Place my order for Octopus Go, but as I understand as I currently have a British Gas smart meter (although not a smart meter that Octopus require) I will be placed on a standard tariff until Octopus install a new smart meter and then i can be placed onto the Octopus Go tariff.
3. New meter installed and I can be switched to the Octopus Go tariff.
Note: My current British Gas tariff is due for renewal on 1st October, so presume on 1st October I then apply for the Octopus Go to avoid exit fees?

Does anyone switching from BG have any experience of timelines?

Also is there anything else that I need to do?

Many thanks,

You need to join Octopus via the referral link
The smart meter needs to be either a SMETS 1 SECURE type or SMETS 2.
The best tariff to go on whilst you are waiting is the probably the Tracker tariff.
As soon as you sign up, just tell them what you want and their efficient customer service will let you know.

• Informative
Reactions: Mikeoneuk85
Hi,

If your British Gas smart meter isn't compatible then you will need to wait for Octopus to install a compatible version.

From the Octopus site:
Just so you know, if you have a SMETS1 meter, it doesn't need to be upgraded to SMETS2. Both are great pieces of tech, the key difference between SMETS1 and SMETS2 is that SMETS2 have the inbuilt functionality to let you change supplier without losing their 'smart' ability. We are expecting SMETS1 meters to be upgraded remotely (with no engineer visit required) with this functionality later this year.

If your smart meter isn't compatible as above then you may want to start the switch process now as there is a backlog of new installations currently.

You will join on their standard tariff and once your account is ready can remain on their standard tariff or tracker tariff until the smart meter is live. Then via your account online you can switch to Go or Agile.

Personally, it took about 3 weeks to transfer from Bulb (using a SMETS1 Scottish Power smart meter), the readings from the smart meter were accepted from day 1. From Day 2 I was on the Agile tariff.

Good luck!

• Informative
Hi All,

I was wondering if I can get some clarification/advice for switch over to Octopus go.

As I understand I will need to do the following:

1. Firstly ask you kind members for a referral code :)
2. Place my order for Octopus Go, but as I understand as I currently have a British Gas smart meter (although not a smart meter that Octopus require) I will be placed on a standard tariff until Octopus install a new smart meter and then i can be placed onto the Octopus Go tariff.
3. New meter installed and I can be switched to the Octopus Go tariff.
Note: My current British Gas tariff is due for renewal on 1st October, so presume on 1st October I then apply for the Octopus Go to avoid exit fees?

Does anyone switching from BG have any experience of timelines?

Also is there anything else that I need to do?

Many thanks,

hi Mike,

basically as you say, if the BG account term has ended then it should all be dealt with for you, or you can choose to pay out of the contract early if you want...you can have my referral code, will send it over!

You need to join Octopus via the referral link
The smart meter needs to be either a SMETS 1 SECURE type or SMETS 2.
The best tariff to go on whilst you are waiting is the probably the Tracker tariff.
As soon as you sign up, just tell them what you want and their efficient customer service will let you know.
You go to Octopus website. Apply for Account with them preferably through referral code. Mine is on my profile if you need it. They do the rest within a couple of weeks. While you are waiting apply for smart meter and Octopus Go. You should be up and running within the month.
I have had Octopus Go since December and use it on alternate nights for 2 cars. Kona and M3LR. I live in Scotland so occasionally use cyc for free ccs. if a battery is very low.

• Informative
Reactions: philgods
I switched from British Gas on the 17th August and it was so straight forward. I was locked in with them for both supplies until Mar 21 but with a referral code and the cheaper Octopus standard tariff I will still save even after paying the early switch fees of £60.

The switch was easy and a week later I received the £50 referral credit. The only thing to watch is that you have to credit your account with a month direct debit payment in advance.

Unfortunately the BG smart meter is not compatible with the Octopus Go tariff so I've had to go on the waiting list for a new one to be installed.

• Informative
Also recent switch from BG. Moved over around 15th June, waited around 6-8 weeks for the smart meter install.

within 2 days gas was showing with octopus smart meter, then another week and I was moved onto Go.

can’t fault them at all, and if ever, let me know if you need a referral code for the bonus!

Has anyone managed to get a quote for using this tariff?

I can get one based if enter my actual usage (no ev charging) on the octopus 12m fixed but can’t find anywhere to add potential usage for charging the car using the go tariff.

My quote for 12m standard is £67.77 but if I chose the go tariff I would charge car twice a week for 4 hours at 20p Would this just add 40p a week onto my bill plus standing charge? Confused!!

I can get one based if enter my actual usage (no ev charging) on the octopus 12m fixed but can’t find anywhere to add potential usage for charging the car using the go tariff.

My quote for 12m standard is £67.77 but if I chose the go tariff I would charge car twice a week for 4 hours at 20p Would this just add 40p a week onto my bill plus standing charge? Confused!!

In my area, Octopus go tariff rates are as follows:
Off-peak unit rate (00:30-04:30):
5.00 p / kWh

Peak unit rate (04:30-00:30):
13.72 p / kWh

Standing Charge:
25.00 p / day

It doesn't matter what you are using electricity for you pay the price relevant to the time you use it, and based on the amount of energy it consumes over the period you use it.

So I think that if you're charging a car with a 7.4 kW charger, and left it running for an hour, it would in theory use 7.4 kW over the course of that hour. If you did that at the off-peak rate it would be 7.4 x 0.05, or 7.4 x 13.72 if you charged for a whole hour outside those times.

Reactions: Acko1985

If you’ve been charging your car on a standard tariff then your total use will include the car charging.

I find that the car charging used by far the bulk of my electricity. My use is about 70% off-peak and 30% peak.

Reactions: Acko1985
I switched to Octopus just over 2 weeks ago. Phoned them to ask about smart meters and the guy made me an appointment there and then. Both meters were installed on Wednesday morning but neither meter is sending readings to Octopus yet. I'm told it can take up to 2 weeks.

If you need a referral code, feel free to message me.

Reactions: Roy W.
I switched to Octopus just over 2 weeks ago. Phoned them to ask about smart meters and the guy made me an appointment there and then. Both meters were installed on Wednesday morning but neither meter is sending readings to Octopus yet. I'm told it can take up to 2 weeks.

If you need a referral code, feel free to message me.
That’s probably the quickest smart meter installation I’ve heard of with Octopus. Well done!

Reactions: Empato
How does it work? Is it any good? Did you manage to reduce your bills?
My bills have reduced by around a third since switching compared to when I didn't own an electric car although the car is used for leisure only.

The rates were very low during covid lockdown though as industries and workplaces were in lockdown.

Each day, around 4pm they publish the rates for the next 24 hours. I try to avoid using large electricals (tumble dryer, dishwasher, washing machine) during 4pm-7pm as that's when it's most expensive. At peak times rates can be between 20p-35p per kW but off peak anywhere from -10p to 20p.

Occasionally you're paid to use electricity but that is rather rare and with the bsst of planning would probably net you £2-£3 at most.

I use the ev.energy app which links to the car and the Agile rates to work out the cheapest possible 30 min periods in order to charge the car to my required percentage and departure time. That works really well and adds to the savings.

There are sites that can compare your actual consumption on Agile vs what it would have cost on Go. Keep an eye on those and you'll know when best to change tarrifs. I'll suspect I'll do that for the winter months but switching is easy and occurs overnight, you just change the tarrif in your online account.

If you're not already an Octopus customer, using a referral code will give you £50 off your bill. See my signature if you need one.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

My bills have reduced by around a third since switching compared to when I didn't own an electric car although the car is used for leisure only.

The rates were very low during covid lockdown though as industries and workplaces were in lockdown.

Each day, around 4pm they publish the rates for the next 24 hours. I try to avoid using large electricals (tumble dryer, dishwasher, washing machine) during 4pm-7pm as that's when it's most expensive. At peak times rates can be between 20p-35p per kW but off peak anywhere from -10p to 20p.

Occasionally you're paid to use electricity but that is rather rare and with the bsst of planning would probably net you £2-£3 at most.

I use the ev.energy app which links to the car and the Agile rates to work out the cheapest possible 30 min periods in order to charge the car to my required percentage and departure time. That works really well and adds to the savings.

There are sites that can compare your actual consumption on Agile vs what it would have cost on Go. Keep an eye on those and you'll know when best to change tarrifs. I'll suspect I'll do that for the winter months but switching is easy and occurs overnight, you just change the tarrif in your online account.

If you're not already an Octopus customer, using a referral code will give you £50 off your bill. See my signature if you need one.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Excellent thanks.

Hi, first post time. Got my new LR AWD a couple of weeks ago, signed up for Octopus straight away and completed the switch yesterday. Applied straight away for Go and got an email saying it takes up to 14 days. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Additionally I’ve gone full on green with my Solar panels and battery being installed on Tuesday. Looking forward to seeing how a combination of free electricity and 5p a kw works out in practice

Reactions: greyjustice