Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching to Octopus Go (from British Gas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not just the car, we also have a granny annex which we rent that only uses electric so between them the electricity charges are/will be enormous. My calculations are 8-9 year payback, time will tell. Hope I’ve calculated correctly!
With the new Feed in tarrifs I don't know how long break even is. I get about 26p/unit Fit and it took me 8 years to break even, although I didn't count what I was saving in electricity during the day. I don't bother with charging either EV when it's sunny. Not really worth it because the most you can save is half what you're putting into the car. Much better to pay 5p during the night with Octopus Go. Anyway I'm now enjoying getting it all free.

My switch has taken ‘a bit’ longer. Switched to Octopus on 6th October at the same time I ordered my M3, requested Go tariff on the 26th October.
I’m still not there yet but very close as they’re getting half-hour readings but ‘something needs fixing on their end’.
It’s been a saga (too long to go into) but I would still recommend them.
Most switches seem to go smoothly though.

Reactions: Roy W.
My switch has taken ‘a bit’ longer. Switched to Octopus on 6th October at the same time I ordered my M3, requested Go tariff on the 26th October.
I’m still not there yet but very close as they’re getting half-hour readings but ‘something needs fixing on their end’.
It’s been a saga (too long to go into) but I would still recommend them.
Most switches seem to go smoothly though.
I admire your patience. I hope you get it sorted out soon.

With the new Feed in tarrifs I don't know how long break even is. I get about 26p/unit Fit and it took me 8 years to break even, although I didn't count what I was saving in electricity during the day. I don't bother with charging either EV when it's sunny. Not really worth it because the most you can save is half what you're putting into the car. Much better to pay 5p during the night with Octopus Go. Anyway I'm now enjoying getting it all free.

I’m on a similar FIT and my system has just paid back after 8 years excluding bought in electricity savings. I do try to charge from solar when it is sunny but don’t understand why I can only save half what goes into the car. Own use makes no difference to the feed in generation or deemed export payments. I accept that if charging at 1.4 kW the car charges very slowly with a significant staying awake / charging overhead, but surely it is still completely free energy that is going in to the battery? From my 3 kWp solar system I’ve had about 10 kWh ‘free’ charging on the better days this summer = saving all of 50p on the GO tariff!

Similar to Erewegoagain, this is my first post. 70 plate m3p arriving in 2 days and Zappi install happening in the morning. Someone from this thread has just picked up a £50 Octopus referral bonus, I picked a contributor at random. Hopefully my series 1 smart meters will be updatable and I can switch to Go tariff quickly.

Reactions: Medved_77
Hopefully my series 1 smart meters will be updatable and I can switch to Go tariff quickly.

If your type 1 meter is a "Secure" brand they can usually transfer it. Otherwise they will fit a type 2 or if poor comms in the area they'll fit a second hand type 1 "Secure" meter (apparently also upgradeable via software to type 2 equivalent at some point in the future though that isn't necessary to have it working on your account).

I was/am in the same situation as OP. Have a British Gas smart meter which is incompatible, sadly have been waiting since March for the new smart meter installation. Seems some people can be in for a wait depending on where they live.

I have a spreadsheet that calculates my electricity use and cost. My latest Octopus bill is less than a penny adrift so off peak seems to be right for the changeover to BST. That said, my bill for March was only a tenner.

I have solar and Powerwalls, as well as Octopus Go.
Over the last 4 winter months I’d say over 99% of my electricity has either been from the grid at 5p/kWh or solar (for “free”).
I’ve never had such cheap electricity in my life (I am deliberately omitting even thinking about the pretty hefty initial investment which would probably have paid for enough electricity to last me 10 years!)

I have solar and Powerwalls, as well as Octopus Go.
Over the last 4 winter months I’d say over 99% of my electricity has either been from the grid at 5p/kWh or solar (for “free”).
I’ve never had such cheap electricity in my life (I am deliberately omitting even thinking about the pretty hefty initial investment which would probably have paid for enough electricity to last me 10 years!)
Me too. It’s going to be a long time paying for itself but the ‘smug’ feeling is priceless.
on a day like today with almost 40Kwh of solar so far and everything charged and heated, it breaks my heart to be exporting!
on the plus side, Sunday roast will be cooking for free shortly :D

Properly puzzled by how the solar energy is "free" when you've spent £££££ installing the system.

Got this new log burner, so I bought a whole forest to keep me supplied in trees. Now my heat is free. 🤣
“Free” insofar as I’ve bought a piece of equipment and now I don’t pay for electricity. So whilst the system wasn’t free, the electricity now is (if you want to be pedantic about it).
It’s all a matter of willing blindness in order to maximise smugness ;)

Reactions: btc1k
Seeing as our house puts a strain on the national grid, thanks to having about 7 computers on the go constantly, plus the new model 3 now needing to be charged, I would LOVE to get Solar....

But as we are council.....no dice unfortunately.

Seeing as our house puts a strain on the national grid, thanks to having about 7 computers on the go constantly, plus the new model 3 now needing to be charged, I would LOVE to get Solar....

But as we are council.....no dice unfortunately.
Yes, I have multiple servers running 24/7 as well...
Out of interest, what’s your base load? Mine’s around 500W...

Yes, I have multiple servers running 24/7 as well...
Out of interest, what’s your base load? Mine’s around 500W...
Honestly i'm not sure. But I know we are sitting idle at 1.13 kW currently, BUT they almost certainly have their air conditioner on in the kids bedroom.

Talk about false economy....all the computer hardware in there heats the room up that much they have the air con going pretty much 24/7 365....

At least I've got the good decency to spread all MY tech around the house to dissipate the heat :)

Honestly i'm not sure. But I know we are sitting idle at 1.13 kW currently, BUT they almost certainly have their air conditioner on in the kids bedroom.

Talk about false economy....all the computer hardware in there heats the room up that much they have the air con going pretty much 24/7 365....

At least I've got the good decency to spread all MY tech around the house to dissipate the heat :)
Ye gods, I’ve got a log burner going as well as background central heating! No need for air con in this house!