Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tagged on the Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP engaged? (FSD enabled?)

Mine had steered me away from something similar the other day; I heard beeping and felt the steering wheel move while the screen highlighted my car as red and a line as red. I forgot to hit save.. wonder if it's there in the recent clips.

I'm curious, how did this make you sore? Is there more to the encounter?

I'm really surprised that AP didn't move over.. If AP was in fact enabled then Tesla needs to look into this.
I think I'm just old. I got a touch of whiplash. Not much to it, the other driver merged into me and we exchanged info afterwards. My guess is that it didn't move over because of the car on my right.

Warning from the car to accelerate or auto accelerate to avoid the hit would be great. Long ways to go for the Tesla NN. How that driver drove into you is still baffling, you were ahead of them and in full view on the way to checking the blind spot (I guess they didn't check their blind spot).

I got a touch of whiplash.

giphy.gif

Yeah. This is why AP is useless on moderately busy freeways - it seems to have no concept of what a blind spot is. Such an easy fix. I’m honestly surprised people aren’t constantly hounding Elon on Twitter about it as it makes AP unusable for anyone who is accustomed to driving defensively.

I would not expect AP to make any steering adjustments in this case on a consistent basis. It can happen but when it does it seems like more of a fluke.

They should implement something with a lower certainty threshold which just starts honking when it detects a possible collision. At least it might provide some comedic value. The lack of steering input would make it less important to be very sure a collision is going to occur.

Last edited:
Warning from the car to accelerate or auto accelerate to avoid the hit would be great. Long ways to go for the Tesla NN. How that driver drove into you is still baffling, you were ahead of them and in full view on the way to checking the blind spot (I guess they didn't check their blind spot).

A warning to accelerate would be too slow for the average person to process and react to in time, and the car accelerating by itself is a recipe for lawsuits. So, given that, I think the car did exactly what it should do in this scenario if there was no room to swerve right due to a car in the other lane.

Also, attacking the OP because they believe he/she is trying to get extra money out of insurance is not cool. Your head can be momentarily turned and talking to a passenger for a moment when you get hit and things can easily be tweaked. Also, Dashcam really doesn’t convey the full force of collisions well at all.

Anyway, carry on.

100% the pickup's fault, but agree with the other posts criticizing AP for allowing the car to stay in that blind spot for so long. A defensive driver would have slowed slightly to get out of the pickup's blind spot anticipating that exact scenario, but AP will let you ride all in a blind spot all day long without trying to put you in a safer position. Prime example of why it's still up to the human driver to be aware of their surroundings and take over in an instant.

A warning to accelerate would be too slow for the average person to process and react to in time, and the car accelerating by itself is a recipe for lawsuits. So, given that, I think the car did exactly what it should do in this scenario if there was no room to swerve right due to a car in the other lane.

Also, attacking the OP because they believe he/she is trying to get extra money out of insurance is not cool. Your head can be momentarily turned and talking to a passenger for a moment when you get hit and things can easily be tweaked. Also, Dashcam really doesn’t convey the full force of collisions well at all.

Anyway, carry on.

Uh, I was commenting on the truck driver not looking to their right... not attacking the OP.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I don't think it is a good idea to advertise that you were using Autopilot when involved in an accident, even it it was not your fault. This can only fuel speculation that you may not have been paying full attention, etc.A slick lawyer may be able to exploit this.

I can definitely see the argument made that OP might not have been paying attention as there's no attempt by the human driver to act defensively or evasively.