Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Model 3 USB Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So basically you are applauding a company piggybacking off the R&D of another company only to offer a cheaper and inferior product?
  1. No one knows what the quality of the Taptes hub is - they were just announced. I have one of their chargers and it works fine.
  2. Just because it does the same thing doesn't mean it is a ripoff. We're not talking some esoteric technology here.
  3. If you've read these forums enough, you should know that Jeda has a HORRIBLE reputation, at least in customer service. I had been considering ordering one of their units until I read the myriad issues reported here.
Being the first out with something doesn't make it the best and doesn't mean others that came later stole their R&D. Granted, it is possible Taptes reverse engineered the Jeda, but so far, we have no real evidence.

So basically you are applauding a company piggybacking off the R&D of another company only to offer a cheaper and inferior product?

When you get greedy and totally overprice your product, you are begging for this to happen. I don't feel bad for them. (Jeda) I would have ordered one months ago when I was getting all my Tesla extras if it weren't for the ridiculous price.

1. No one knows what the quality of the Taptes hub is - they were just announced. I have one of their chargers and it works fine.
  2. Just because it does the same thing doesn't mean it is a ripoff. We're not talking some esoteric technology here.
  3. If you've read these forums enough, you should know that Jeda has a HORRIBLE reputation, at least in customer service. I had been considering ordering one of their units until I read the myriad issues reported here.
Being the first out with something doesn't make it the best and doesn't mean others that came later stole their R&D. Granted, it is possible Taptes reverse engineered the Jeda, but so far, we have no real evidence.

Oh hell yeah. Dealing with Jeda was just unpleasant. This is the silver lining to being frustrated and canceling my order w Jeda for the hub and wireless charger a while back.

Ordered and looking forward to it. By the way, my Taptes wireless charger has been great so far, so if it’s anything like that from a quality and function standpoint, then it’s all gravy.

Well, truthfully, we're very sad about the fact that a company which also produces products for a community we love, has ripped off our small business. We rely on two products, and we spend months upon months designing, developing, and creating them. During the design process, we go through close to 25 samples, getting everything perfect down to minor details, and modifying numerous molds. Both products we have made, and spent time making, has been completely ripped off by this company. We're all for a healthy marketplace and healthy competition, but the blatant disrespect companies like the one in question practice violate basic commercial conduct, as it causes consumer confusion while utilizing price gauging tactics.

Our prices are based upon these factors: the R+D process, the molds costs ($$$), employees costs and wages, material costs, import taxes, and handling costs. Our employees are based in the U.S, and we focus on providing fair wages, health insurance, and paid sick leave. We are also subject to U.S federal and state tax laws. Foreign companies, such as TapTes, are not. They are able to (cheaply) reproduce items, without having to pay for the time to design them, and the workforce necessary to ship them and handle support for them.

In reality, our shipping time is slow. We're painfully aware of this. Our team is small, which is highlighted daily. Our goal for 2020 has been to create more products, which we have been working on since June of 2018, and hire more staff, including one dedicated to communications. We used to handle all shipments in house, leading to delays, and have just switched to a 3PL, which is a big step for us.

Our stability is directly threatened by companies like Taptes, because if we do push for more products, and hire more staff, what happens when our next product gets reproduced and sold at a price we cannot compete with, because our company is not based in China? Everyone wants a healthy economy, more jobs, fair wages, and healthcare. Small businesses like ours, cannot compete with businesses which practice unfair market practices, and provide those things at the same time.

Another important thing to note, is that the product they are marketing has not been tested for compliance and could cause problems to the vehicles they are intended for. Our product was vigilantly tested for 9 months, prior to launch. Our build quality is premium. Our electronics are custom made, and our PCB boards were/are designed by local Engineers in California.

So, truth be told we are pissed about the ripoff. And we're saddened because we want to continue to grow and make innovative products for the Tesla community, but it's hard to envision that possibility if we are consistently ripped off, since it makes us question if it's worth investing the money into more employees, and completing the other products we have been working hard to put out for this year (we have novel products for the Model 3, and others for other models which we've been working on for the better half of one year, since they are our largest products yet.) We are okay with competition, we just wish they would have some decency in creating their own products which solve the same problem, rather than creating the same exact product.

With that said, we know many may not care about this, and will choose a bad product, that has poor build quality, simply because the price is cheaper.

Try again;)

You are completely shameless.
taptes-copy.JPG
taptes-copy-23.JPG
Capture-jeda.JPG
jeda-original.JPG
jeda-oridinal.JPG
jeda-original-pad.JPG
taptes-copy-3.JPG
taptes-copy-pad.JPG

Its hard to argue shame when there's money involved and no rules to protect the original innovator. I bought a Jeda, and if I was Jeda I would seriously look into protecting the IP the best they can.

The current China trade war is aimed specifically at things like this. Innovation will always be copied unless there is a legal system to fight it, or simply provide a superior product.

R&D is expensive. We asked why did America fall behind in innovation and R&D? Because it stopped being worth it when you have other societies who can benefit off R&D without paying the cost of it.

Its hard to argue shame when there's money involved and no rules to protect the original innovator. I bought a Jeda, and if I was Jeda I would seriously look into protecting the IP the best they can.

The current China trade war is aimed specifically at things like this. Innovation will always be copied unless there is a legal system to fight it, or simply provide a superior product.

R&D is expensive. We asked why did America fall behind in innovation and R&D? Because it stopped being worth it when you have other societies who can benefit off R&D without paying the cost of it.

Thanks for buying a Jeda, and for your support. Perhaps if we were a big company with 30+ products in our line, this wouldn't be something which would cause the same distress. Since we have two products we rely on, having both designs stolen by Taptes, this causes extreme distress and uncertainty.

Having spent the money we have spent on our newer products set to launch this year, we're very nervous about launching them with the same "Taptes effect": i.e same product, a few months later, at an unbeatable price. We are also nervous about adding another employee, which we need, if we are unable to take on that responsibility due to loss of sales, because of Taptes.

This is really really serious, and we sincerely hope the consumers who find themselves on this page and forum really try to shop responsibly. Companies like Taptes in the world never receive any kind of backlash (instead they are applauded for price gauging), or face any kind pg legal ramifications and are able to walk all over small businesses because they can and there is nothing to stop them from doing so. Except, the consumer.

Thanks for buying a Jeda, and for your support. Perhaps if we were a big company with 30+ products in our line, this wouldn't be something which would cause the same distress. Since we have two products we rely on, having both designs stolen by Taptes, this causes extreme distress and uncertainty.

Having spent the money we have spent on our newer products set to launch this year, we're very nervous about launching them with the same "Taptes effect": i.e same product, a few months later, at an unbeatable price. We are also nervous about adding another employee, which we need, if we are unable to take on that responsibility due to loss of sales, because of Taptes.

This is really really serious, and we sincerely hope the consumers who find themselves on this page and forum really try to shop responsibly. Companies like Taptes in the world never receive any kind of backlash (instead they are applauded for price gauging), or face any kind pg legal ramifications and are able to walk all over small businesses because they can and there is nothing to stop them from doing so. Except, the consumer.

I recommend really promoting that you're made in the USA and building your company as a brand that people may want to pay extra for because of its quality or style. A lot of people will. I for instance really like how you use red in your designs. I bought your pad, hub and spacer and had a pretty bad time with your customer service in the process but that's a separate topic.

Thank you Jeda Products for coming in with your side of the story. I admit, I was irritated with your slow delivery times and slow responses to questions, and even wrote an angry email to cancel my order as a "final decision"...but when I actually got it, I was very pleased with its quality and functionality. In that way y'all really remind me of Tesla :) Service could use improvement, but the product made it all worth it.

As for TapTes, their prices are indeed unbeatable, but the way they tried to give discounts for people plugging them on forums left a very bad taste in my mouth. It reminds me of all those shady Amazon dealers who basically bribe you if you write good reviews. I don't want to do business with companies like that.

I don't see how it is inferior... And frankly, neither requires much R&D; it is very straight forward technology.... The JedaHub was way over-priced from the get-go... At a lower price, Jeda would have had proportionately much higher sales and, ultimately, higher profits... I ordered one of the Taptes.

Last edited: