Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to take advantage of the full tax credit with the co-applicant.. didn't realize Tesla was submitting just with my SSN/name.

Main issue is that I already have a $7,500 tax credit from the February 2023 purchase; this is an additional one, but I believe my income do have sufficient tax burden to claim the majority of the $7,500 tax credit from the December 2023 purchase.

Anyone know how much income (rough estimate) is required for $15K tax burden?
It depends on a lot of factors but using this calculator (https://www.hrblock.com/w-4-calculator/) married couple filing jointly making $100k each with no dependents would owe ~$24k with the standard deduction

Do you have to log in on a computer to see it?
That's the only way that I know to look at any documents. Others may find them elsewhere. I don't think you can access them on the app. Tesla has lot's of inconsistent, convoluted ways of doing things.
Mine isn’t yet, unless I’m looking in the wrong place. I’m looking in my account under Manage>Documents. I’ve never seen a “Glovebox” as some have referenced. But I know Tesla does some things in rolling waves, so I’m not worried.
Correct, just go to tesla.com and sign into your account. Then, under the vehicle click on Manage then Documents. Yeah, they'll get around to you. For what it's worth, I just got the Holiday update to 2023.44.30.4 last night. Many got it over the weekend and earlier this week.

Reactions: flixden
Correct, just go to tesla.com and sign into your account. Then, under the vehicle click on Manage then Documents. Yeah, they'll get around to you. For what it's worth, I just got the Holiday update to 2023.44.30.4 last night. Many got it over the weekend and earlier this week.
I got the Holiday Update last night as well, so hopefully my IRS doc will show up soon. But again, I am not worried.

Have a questions about the following language: "You can use your modified AGI from the year you take delivery of the vehicle or the year before, whichever is less."

I qualify in 2022 taxes as Head of Household but won't qualify in 2023 as a single filer (divorced with a child with 50/50 custody and we alternate head of household on taxes each year).

Will I qualify using my 2022 taxes or will the IRS use my current single filer status and apply that standard to my 2022 taxes (I would not qualify)?

Have a questions about the following language: "You can use your modified AGI from the year you take delivery of the vehicle or the year before, whichever is less."

I qualify in 2022 taxes as Head of Household but won't qualify in 2023 as a single filer (divorced with a child with 50/50 custody and we alternate head of household on taxes each year).

Will I qualify using my 2022 taxes or will the IRS use my current single filer status and apply that standard to my 2022 taxes (I would not qualify)?
The combination of your 2022 status and income is valid.
If your filing status changes between the preceding year and the current year, you may claim the new clean vehicle credit if your modified AGI is less than or equal to the threshold applicable to your filing status for in the preceding year or current year.
Frequently Asked Questions About the New, Previously-Owned and Qualified Commercial Clean Vehicles Credit | Internal Revenue Service

Reactions: Alonzo
Well I still haven't gotten my Form 15400, but I won't panic. As long as Tesla notifies the IRS by Jan 15, 2024 (for all I know they already have), it doesn't much matter when if ever I see a Form 15400 as the IRS wouldn't have any idea if I got it? I definitely qualify so I can't imagine taking a credit on my return would be rejected somehow due to a missing document.

Well I still haven't gotten my Form 15400, but I won't panic. As long as Tesla notifies the IRS by Jan 15, 2024 (for all I know they already have), it doesn't much matter when if ever I see a Form 15400 as the IRS wouldn't have any idea if I got it?
Yah, it doesn't matter if you get it...

I definitely qualify so I can't imagine taking a credit on my return would be rejected somehow due to a missing document.
But it does matter if the IRS gets the 15400 (the missing document being the one from Tesla to the IRS)

Reactions: Midpack
We picked up on Saturday and have the 15400 form in our documents. Maybe some locations aren’t doing what they’re supposed to processing documents?

It was signed and dated the day of delivery. Might have been in our documents from the beginning, but today is first time I checked.