Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yah, but be careful with terminology, "OWE" on the 1040 is the outstanding amount the taxpayer hasn't paid yet, not the total tax from which the credit would be subtracted.
View attachment 1004102
I liked your post, but removed it because the important line is Line 22, not Line 24. The EV tax credit is in Schedule 3, and because Line 22 cannot be below zero, the other taxes in Line 23 are irrelevant to the benefit of the tax credit (at least for your regular taxpayer).

Reactions: mongo
I liked your post, but removed it because the important line is Line 22, not Line 24. The EV tax credit is in Schedule 3, and because Line 22 cannot be below zero, the other taxes in Line 23 are irrelevant to the benefit of the tax credit (at least for your regular taxpayer).
Ah, good catch, self employment tax is not refundable. So if line 22 without the credit is greater than the credit, you get all the credit. Looking at that from 2022 gives a rough idea of eligibilty.

Did you have to ask for it, or did it just show up?
There is, of course, zero reason you would have to ask for it. Practically everyone who took delivery of a car in 2023 will want this form and they are obviously going to provide them to everyone without you having to bother them.

Mine showed up on 12/28 for a late August Model 3 purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: PNWLeccy and vickh
There is, of course, zero reason you would have to ask for it. Practically everyone who took delivery of a car in 2023 will want this form and they are obviously going to provide them to everyone without you having to bother them.

I don't feel like it's all that obvious, with having experienced how Tesla operates.
But hopefully I am totally wrong and you are right! 👍🏻

I don't feel like it's all that obvious
So you really think it’s plausible Tesla is going to make the hundreds of thousands of people who want this form call and bother them for it. 😂

Your experience with Tesla and how you seem to think they operate is misguided. They will do absolutely everything in their power to avoid people needing to contact them. It’s like their #1 core operating principle.

Your form will show up, all on its own, well before you’ll be able to file your taxes. You won’t have to call them, email them, send a registered letter via Pony Express, or walk down to a service center and demand they print one for you on the spot. I pinky promise. 🙂

• Informative
Reactions: Midpack and vickh
They will do absolutely everything in their power to avoid people needing to contact them. It’s like their #1 core operating principle.

I would agree 100% that this principle is pretty much at the core of everything they design. Tesla would never design a process that required someone to actually contact a person to get something done, especially not something that 100s of thousands of people would want.

Reactions: vickh

I would agree 100% that this principle is pretty much at the core of everything they design. Tesla would never design a process that required someone to actually contact a person to get something done, especially not something that 100s of thousands of people would want.

Yep. TSLA core principle. We hate human contact ;) It does make them efficient and scale up.

Chat CSRs would be good, most are just sales focused IMO