Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rejected again. Same reason.

Donnie,

To finish your tax return, please correct the error(s) described below or follow the instructions provided.​
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
The IRS is rejecting your return because the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on one of your vehicles used to claim the Clean Vehicle Credit doesn't match their records.​

I'm going to call Tesla again later today. They said they would give me a call back within 24 hours a couple of days ago but I never did get a call back. Honestly quite irritated with how this is going. A big reason why I purchased when I did was because of the $7500 credit that they made note of on their site. It's disappointing that I'm kinda in limbo right now regarding how/when I can file to not only get that $7500 but my usual yearly refund.
How long does Tesla take to send the form, I applied for it online from the Tesla website and that was 2 weeks ago for my cars.

This would have been better if they ad iload d the form on out Tesla account vs waiting for the form to arrive.

Just as a data point, I had no issues filing my return. About three weeks ago I logged into my Tesla account and requested they generate that document (thanks to the directions on this forum). That was not super obvious though, I’m sure there will be plenty of people who don’t know how to go to that.

For what it’s worth, we’re married filing jointly but only my name is on the car’s paperwork. I had to use my 2022 MAGI to qualify for the credit, for the vehicle purchased in 2023. Two days ago on 2/16 I filed my return, and it was accepted by the IRS on 2/17.

For what it’s worth, we’re married filing jointly but only my name is on the car’s paperwork. I had to use my 2022 MAGI to qualify for the credit, for the vehicle purchased in 2023.
Hmm, I am in same boat. Do I need the 2022 MGI ? What is this exactly ? A form to fill in.and submit to IRS ?
Please give me details as I really need the tax credit. Mine is an 2023 M3 RWD, bought in Sep/2023.

I've been filing online through FreeTaxUSA for eight years. I filed last week and everything went great, including my EV Tax Credit. I have never paid a dime to file. They have saved me lot's of money through their interactive guides. This year, I had forgotten to file my carryover investment losses from last year and FreeTax reminded me. They do have some paid services which some may take advantage of, but they are very reasonably priced.

Reactions: Skavatar
Modified Adjusted Gross Income
I also looked up the net and MAGI is the gross income (simply called AGI), IF taken out the deductions / credits, we get the Taxable Income.
IRS already had my 2022 MAGI as I need to enter this number when e-Filing 2023 tax.
My 2022 MAGI is greater than 150K but lower than 200K, for joint filing, I think I am still qualified for EV tax credit.

Is there anything else I have to get for IRS ?

I also looked up the net and MAGI is the gross income (simply called AGI), IF taken out the deductions / credits, we get the Taxable Income.
IRS already had my 2022 MAGI as I need to enter this number when e-Filing 2023 tax.
My 2022 MAGI is greater than 150K but lower than 200K, for joint filing, I think I am still qualified for EV tax credit.

Is there anything else I have to get for IRS ?
MAGI:
Your modified AGI is the amount from line 11 of your Form 1040 plus:
• Any amount on line 45 or line 50 of Form 2555, Foreign Earned Income.
• Any amount excluded from gross income because it was received from sources in Puerto Rico or American Samoa
https://www.irs.gov/pub/taxpros/fs-2023-29.pdf

I've been filing online through FreeTaxUSA for eight years. I filed last week and everything went great, including my EV Tax Credit. I have never paid a dime to file. They have saved me lot's of money through their interactive guides. This year, I had forgotten to file my carryover investment losses from last year and FreeTax reminded me. They do have some paid services which some may take advantage of, but they are very reasonably priced.

How do you deal with transactions in your investment accounts? As far as I know, this tool doesn't support the import of these transactions.

Reactions: vickh
How do you deal with transactions in your investment accounts? As far as I know, this tool doesn't support the import of these transactions.
I believe FreeTaxUSA gives an option of entering them individually or as a summary. I don't enter them individually since there are dozens. Both Vanguard and Merrill Lynch do all the computations for me and I just transfer the data, manually from the 1099's.

I don't know about importing transactions. These links would indicate that you can not.

Importing 1099 statements for stock trades from Brokerage.
FreeTaxUSA Review: A Suitable $0 Option For Most Filers, But State Returns Cost Extra
FreeTaxUSA Review 2024

Like Alonzo, I enter them as a summary from the 1099. IRS doesn't care about you entering the details of each individual transaction...unless you get audited, I presume.

I also like FreeTaxUSA — I switched to them from Intuit TurboTax years ago. Don't know well it handles small business income (I'll find out next year...just started a business), but for your typical W-2 wages and individual brokerage/retirement accounts it does great.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hiline
I believe FreeTaxUSA gives an option of entering them individually or as a summary. I don't enter them individually since there are dozens. Both Vanguard and Merrill Lynch do all the computations for me and I just transfer the data, manually from the 1099's.

I don't know about importing transactions. These links would indicate that you can not.

Importing 1099 statements for stock trades from Brokerage.
FreeTaxUSA Review: A Suitable $0 Option For Most Filers, But State Returns Cost Extra
FreeTaxUSA Review 2024

that auto transfer is key for me. I wish the IRS would let you do it from irs.gov transcripts directly, but alas we have this manual systmen

Reactions: Hiline
I had no issue with the EV credit on TurboTax. Submitted both Fed and CA over the weekend. Both were accepted. Filling all information took an hour or two. Downloading, installing, updating, contacting customer support, uninstalling, re-installing, and successfully launching TurboTax took longer.