Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given his username ( assuming it's a hitchikers guide to the galaxy reference) and his tiresome quest to ask every question ever thought of to man, I am tempted to just put him on ignore
I dunno... his experience with charging his Taycan mirrors my singular experience with trying to charge outside the Super Charger network. For a normal (non-EV-enthusiast) person that has been used to 10 minute petrol fill-ups their whole life, dealing with charging non-Tesla vehicles is a nightmare!!

I was travelling through Scotland in my M3LR, and I thought I would give the much-lauded ChargePlace Scotland a go, and it was just terrible.

- The first charger was faulty (rang the help number, and *immediately* the guy on the phone could see there was something wrong with the charger, and also that there was nothing he would be able to do, except apologise for the inconvenience and tell me he would arrange for an engineer to visit some time in the future).
- The second charger was in use, but just as I was about to pull away, the owner of the other car arrived, disconnected their car, and left (there were only 2 chargers, this was East Linton). Bear in mind I had planned this for my lunch stop, and was an experiment in "how the non-Tesla people live".
- So I moved my car to the working charger. Many attempts later (using my ChargePlace Scotland app first -- useless, and then multiple attempts with a contactless debit card) eventually resulted in the car charging. At this point my wife is calling from the pub asking what has happened to me, and why am I taking so long.
- Turns out it only gave me 8.2kWh in 49 minutes (I know this from TeslaMate).
- Turns out I was charged £16 for this completely pointless exercise (I didn't actually need the charge to make it to the next Super Charger, I just wanted the experience).
- Trying to get a refund the following week was impossible: called ChargePlace Scotland (we're sorry, we just manage the payment infrastructure, those chargers are looked after by Swarco, try this number). Called Swarco (sorry, we just look after the physical chargers, and fix them when CPS calls us to tell us they're faulty, the chargers are owned by the local council, try this number). Called the East Lothian council (let me forward your call, this is the EE voicemail of..., left multiple messages, called the council back multiple times, never got a call back, never got anywhere). I suppose I could've contested the charges on my card, but that seemed like a further waste of energy.

So in short, if I'd needed an actual charge on my Model 3, I would've been up the creek without a paddle. 8kWh for £16 (200p per kWh!!! and that's before this stupid energy crisis kicked off a few weeks ago) is the most expensive charge I hope to ever have to pay for. And this is what non-Tesla owners put up with all the time?!

I don't know anything about this Schmee fellow, but people like him (2M+ YouTube subscribers) highlighting how utterly rubbish the (non-Tesla) charging infrastructure in the UK is will hopefully result in positive change.

Edit: to add that I drove 1,500 miles on that trip to Scotland (from London), and charged numerous times on the Super Charger network, every time was flawless.

Further edit: as *I* was pulling away from the charger, the original driver that had been using my charger returned, and said that it turned out they hadn't actually received any charge in the time they'd been there (and hadn't realised until now)! So they were back for attempt number 2. It was an e-Golf.

I dunno... his experience with charging his Taycan mirrors my singular experience with trying to charge outside the Super Charger network. For a normal (non-EV-enthusiast) person that has been used to 10 minute petrol fill-ups their whole life, dealing with charging non-Tesla vehicles is a nightmare!!

I was travelling through Scotland in my M3LR, and I thought I would give the much-lauded ChargePlace Scotland a go, and it was just terrible.

- The first charger was faulty (rang the help number, and *immediately* the guy on the phone could see there was something wrong with the charger, and also that there was nothing he would be able to do, except apologise for the inconvenience and tell me he would arrange for an engineer to visit some time in the future).
- The second charger was in use, but just as I was about to pull away, the owner of the other car arrived, disconnected their car, and left (there were only 2 chargers, this was East Linton). Bear in mind I had planned this for my lunch stop, and was an experiment in "how the non-Tesla people live".
- So I moved my car to the working charger. Many attempts later (using my ChargePlace Scotland app first -- useless, and then multiple attempts with a contactless debit card) eventually resulted in the car charging. At this point my wife is calling from the pub asking what has happened to me, and why am I taking so long.
- Turns out it only gave me 8.2kWh in 49 minutes (I know this from TeslaMate).
- Turns out I was charged £16 for this completely pointless exercise (I didn't actually need the charge to make it to the next Super Charger, I just wanted the experience).
- Trying to get a refund the following week was impossible: called ChargePlace Scotland (we're sorry, we just manage the payment infrastructure, those chargers are looked after by Swarco, try this number). Called Swarco (sorry, we just look after the physical chargers, and fix them when CPS calls us to tell us they're faulty, the chargers are owned by the local council, try this number). Called the East Lothian council (let me forward your call, this is the EE voicemail of..., left multiple messages, called the council back multiple times, never got a call back, never got anywhere). I suppose I could've contested the charges on my card, but that seemed like a further waste of energy.

So in short, if I'd needed an actual charge on my Model 3, I would've been up the creek without a paddle. 8kWh for £16 (200p per kWh!!! and that's before this stupid energy crisis kicked off a few weeks ago) is the most expensive charge I hope to ever have to pay for. And this is what non-Tesla owners put up with all the time?!

I don't know anything about this Schmee fellow, but people like him (2M+ YouTube subscribers) highlighting how utterly rubbish the (non-Tesla) charging infrastructure in the UK is will hopefully result in positive change.

Edit: to add that I drove 1,500 miles on that trip to Scotland (from London), and charged numerous times on the Super Charger network, every time was flawless.

Further edit: as *I* was pulling away from the charger, the original driver that had been using my charger returned, and said that it turned out they hadn't actually received any charge in the time they'd been there (and hadn't realised until now)! So they were back for attempt number 2. It was an e-Golf.

When I hear stories like this... I'm so glad I bought a Tesla.

I'd dread to think what some peoples EV experience is like.

Reactions: Tonyf
Is there any one have any ideas about Tesla fire without collision? just curious

Are you asking for ideas on how to start one, avoid one, or general reporting on events relating to Tesla Battery fires?

I park my Tesla nearest my neighbours house (just in case), and Powerwalls are bolted outside, not inside.

I've also seen EV Car Fire Blankets you can buy to cover your car and smother a battery fire, to stop it spreading to things nearby, like your own house/cars/trees/launch pad... until the Firebrigade or Newspaper Journalists arrive.

I'd put my bet on the Newspaper Journalist arriving first... even without Blue Stobes & Sirens.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience.

I ordered a RFID car in plenty of time for a weeks trip, but it didn’t turn up and then didn’t get transferred to the new ChargePlace supplier.

I tried to use the app instead and it only worked once. Fortunately these were more opportunistic charging near hotels rather than actually needed. The Tesla Superchargers and Tesla destination chargers at one hotel worked fine though.

Is there any one have any ideas about Tesla fire without collision? just curious
I think it would be best to use petrol for that. All the fires without collision that I’ve seen in any model of car have involved the use of petrol. It’s best to position the vehicle on a piece of waste ground first from what I have observed. I should comment that this likely to invalidate your warranty. HTH

Reactions: EVMeister
Given his username ( assuming it's a hitchikers guide to the galaxy reference) and his tiresome quest to ask every question ever thought of to man, I am tempted to just put him on ignore
I am not new to this type of forum and from experience of asking and answering I know what genuine / reasonable / sensible questions are. I could ask Tesla / google or other those questions but I do believe this type of forum id the best place to ask these questions, I believe that is the raison d'être of this type of forum. If my questions hurt your eyes - don't read them.

I believe that is the raison d'être of this type of forum. If my questions hurt your eyes - don't read them.

This forum had a lot of information in it already answered by a lot of very knowledgeable people that in the past have given their time to help others. imho, it would be much easier to access that information using the search function than repeating the question and expecting others to give their time to answer. If a thread does not answer a query sufficiently, a follow on question in the same thread (providing its not totally out of focus) is probably best imho as it keeps the information together. Tesla deliver several thousand cars here in the UK every quarter. If even a small percentage of those purchasing started a thread for every thought that popped into their head, the value of this forum would be lost.

Please do everyone the courtesy of asking yourself why your posts have been singled out for the reactions you are getting from many forum members. Its not everyday that I receive a personal message asking why I agreed with someone's post that just so happened to suggest to you that perhaps that there may be a better way of approaching a new Tesla purchase. Most of your posts come across as trolling, not just my opinion by the looks of it.

To me it sounds you like or expect the personal touch - perhaps it may also be the time to question whether a Tesla is the right car for you?

Oh, and please take this as an open response to the private message you sent me.

Anyway, here are the answers to some of your questions

This one probably best asked in a Porsche forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.