Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TCO Honda Odyssey vs. Model X over 300,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@andrewdtran, I applaud your enthusiasm and your cost analysis gymnastics. I came to the model X from a Honda Odyssey, owning just 1 for over 12 years. I hope it all works out as well for you as you’ve plotted out. But do listen to the cautionary tales others tell — the wonderful doors (front and FWD) can need service, as can the air suspension. Tesla service prices are not for the faint of heart. As others pointed out, tires will cost far more than you’ve allotted and I think the average Model X owner is replacing them every 25k miles. Brakes should not wear out but there is still suggested routine maintenance. I question your gas/electricity estimates too, especially if most of your miles are fueled by superchargers. Supercharger prices have been going up and gas prices have been coming down so that a supercharger-fueled mile is awfully close to a gas-fueled mile in many places.

I did my own cost analysis gymnastics before purchasing my X. At 3 years in I can say that there was nothing wise financially about my purchase. But I also am so glad I did it, and the trips in the X have no comparison. Autopilot has changed my life, as has the silent, clean, smooth electric power.

@andrewdtran, I applaud your enthusiasm and your cost analysis gymnastics. I came to the model X from a Honda Odyssey, owning just 1 for over 12 years. I hope it all works out as well for you as you’ve plotted out. But do listen to the cautionary tales others tell — the wonderful doors (front and FWD) can need service, as can the air suspension. Tesla service prices are not for the faint of heart. As others pointed out, tires will cost far more than you’ve allotted and I think the average Model X owner is replacing them every 25k miles. Brakes should not wear out but there is still suggested routine maintenance. I question your gas/electricity estimates too, especially if most of your miles are fueled by superchargers. Supercharger prices have been going up and gas prices have been coming down so that a supercharger-fueled mile is awfully close to a gas-fueled mile in many places.

I did my own cost analysis gymnastics before purchasing my X. At 3 years in I can say that there was nothing wise financially about my purchase. But I also am so glad I did it, and the trips in the X have no comparison. Autopilot has changed my life, as has the silent, clean, smooth electric power.
At this point, it doesn’t even matter because I’ve submitted final payment and I can’t wait to get my Model X in about a week

Enjoy the X! And, don't worry about the battery. I've got the old technology 85 in my S and we have over 230,000 mi on the original battery. Still going strong. Although, I will admit I'm glad I've got that unlimited mileage warranty on it!
I honestly think that once we hit 150,000 miles, we’ll probably switch to a Model X with the new 4680 cells or the plaid so we can get that 500+ miles of range

your numbers are not like what I had when i looked into the model X, first (for me) insurance for model x is 2.5 times the cost of the Odyssey, registration fees are triple the cost of the Odyssey {at least in California}
I don't know how you got to the 6K$ to maintenance the model X but out of warranty repairs for the X will be way, way higher. Look at youtube videos of others and you get an idea.

the Odyssey will be cheaper in the long run for sure but the Model X has the ride, power, and feel the Odyssey will never have. It is also better for the planet.
So if you only care about money I would stick with the Odyssey.

Wrong on a few levels.

There is ZERO consideration for the externalities of dumping massive amounts of GHG's. The OP lives in Houston, a prime target for the ever increasing number of hurricanes and tropical storms. Sea level rise will also cause massive damage to the 50% of the global population that leaves near the coasts.

Also, this link provides info on the Tesla ESA; that'll reduce repair costs substantially:

Extended Service Agreement

Reactions: andrewdtran
Wrong on a few levels.

There is ZERO consideration for the externalities of dumping massive amounts of GHG's. The OP lives in Houston, a prime target for the ever increasing number of hurricanes and tropical storms. Sea level rise will also cause massive damage to the 50% of the global population that leaves near the coasts.

Also, this link provides info on the Tesla ESA; that'll reduce repair costs substantially:

Extended Service Agreement
We're definitely getting the Tesla ESA just in case but you're correct, Houston is home to many oil refineries so I hope that switching to electric will help offset those carbon emissions.

Wrong on a few levels.

We (tesla owners) and other EV owners pay a lot of money to be able to help to save our planet. Having said that we still have brains and if someone thinks a Tesla Model X will be cheaper than Odyssey they are living in a dream world and don't know what is coming for them.

Last edited:
We (tesla owners) and other EV owners pay a lot of money to be able to help to save our planet. Having said that we still have brains and if someone thinks a Tesla Model X will be cheaper than Odyssey they are living in a dream world and don't know what is coming for them.

Very well then.

As the ABSOLUTE LOWEST TCO is the VERY MOST IMPORTANT THING ON THE ENTIRE PLANET, and because the OP can likely continue to dump GHG's with impunity for at least a few more years (at least that's the current expectation), AND because future generations don't get a vote (but do get to deal with the consequences of our unchecked GHG dumping), then, of course, the OP should not give a darn about anyone else, or anything else.

Yes, of course, that's what matters most: the OP/s wallet. (And not the planet we leave for others.)

no, it is not, a balance is the most important thing, never go to extremes on either side, a balance between environment, health, mental health, money, etc.. is the most important thing.

Right. This is a silly concern.

We don't really quite know what the actual tipping point is--where no matter what we do, it's too late--and we are ONLY dealing the fate of our only planet and all life on it.

Who cares? Why worry?

Yes, let's keep dumping GHG's and just BE HAPPY!

Moderation is in order here--no need to be an alarmist.

[sarcasm]

For those still unaware of the threat posed by over a century of unchecked GHG dumping, which is far, far too many, please read up on the details here. Positive feedback loops can really ruin a planet. Too bad we only have one:

Climate tipping points — too risky to bet against

Climate tipping points — too risky to bet against
The growing threat of abrupt and irreversible climate changes must compel political and economic action on emissions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/09/30/greenland-ice-melt/

Greenland ice sheet on course to lose ice at fastest rate in 12,000 years, study finds
By 2100, the ice sheet will shrink to the size it was during the last time the world was hotter than today.

A warming Arctic could cost the world trillions of dollars

• Funny
Reactions: Sonus
Enjoy your X. The first time you pass someone on the highway with ease it will be worth it.
Our X lease is up in May and we cannot find a better car for our needs.
You’re totally right!!! We’re looking to get a Model Y or Cybertruck to replace our Honda Fit in the near future and we can’t wait to drive thousands of miles without contributing to climate change.

You’re totally right!!! We’re looking to get a Model Y or Cybertruck to replace our Honda Fit in the near future and we can’t wait to drive thousands of miles without contributing to climate change.
Congrats on getting your model X. I had a model 3 and have a model Y, and planning to add a model X to replace a full fat Range Rover and an LR3. Just a heads up that if you do plan to keep it for 300k miles, similar to the air suspension on the land rovers, you should plan on an additional $5k in suspension replacement above normal coil suspensions costs every 100k miles. That was actually one of the cheaper trade offs I appreciated in the 3 and Y.

Congrats on getting your model X. I had a model 3 and have a model Y, and planning to add a model X to replace a full fat Range Rover and an LR3. Just a heads up that if you do plan to keep it for 300k miles, similar to the air suspension on the land rovers, you should plan on an additional $5k in suspension replacement above normal coil suspensions costs every 100k miles. That was actually one of the cheaper trade offs I appreciated in the 3 and Y.

I just have the simpler air suspension that Tesla had at the end of 2014, but I've never spent a dime on it. The standard suspension parts, yes. but the air suspension; nothing. Although they did comp me a compressor for the air suspension. I guess I had an old version that they were replacing under warranty long ago. Still, over 230,000 miles, I think they last pretty well.

I just have the simpler air suspension that Tesla had at the end of 2014, but I've never spent a dime on it. The standard suspension parts, yes. but the air suspension; nothing. Although they did comp me a compressor for the air suspension. I guess I had an old version that they were replacing under warranty long ago. Still, over 230,000 miles, I think they last pretty well.
Happy to hear those air suspension parts are so much cheaper and last longer than my prior rovers. Looking forward to it. Honestly that expense, and the hassle when they fail and leave you on the bump stops able to drive at 25mph max, was a major factor in buying the 3 and the Y, and not the X. My model X arrives next week (fingers crossed), so that would be great if it lasts as long as yours before replacing the air suspension struts!

I don't think Honda sells the Odyssey in England, so I guess the closest thing is this?? Lets face it these things are vans with seats + windows, yes very practical and am sure comfortable, but its a van with seats did anyone here aspire to own/drive a van with seats when growing up??

ford-galaxy-2.jpg

.....comparing it to this??

29994913907_f78478c845_c_d.jpg

Unless you have a fetish for vans there is no comparison. 3.5 years on from taking ownership our X still makes me smile every single time I get in it. The fact I just had MCU2 + FSD upgrade done means now am inpatiently waiting for the next big software release from Tesla. I've never owned any other car like our X, it really is the best/most interesting car I have driven/owned.

Forget about any kind of comparisons with a van with seats - including price, unless you really do have a thing for vans.....

Whoa, that $5k seems really excessive! I think fear of air suspension is overblown.

These guys used to sell directly to the consumer, but now there are middlemen involved. Regardless, they have a LIFETIME WARRANTY in the US and their story is pretty interesting--it's a family business created out of the need to avoid high-priced air suspension repair costs:

About Us | Arnott

And:

https://www.arnottmanuals.com/amfinder/?find=automotive-tesla-model-s-w-awd-239521

• Informative
Lets face it these things are vans with seats + windows, yes very practical and am sure comfortable, but its a van with seats did anyone here aspire to own/drive a van with seats when growing up??
My 2005 touring Honda Odyssey was actually a good bit more than seats and windows on wheels. Believe it or not, it was the envy of the soccer mom crowd and there was a group of teenagers that still marveled over it when it was a decade old (such nifty things as retractable sun shades on rear windows.) A few things it had that I still miss are choices of different routes in the navigation system and foldable armrest for all front and second row seats. I also often laugh when people talk of the spaciousness of the model X as it doesn’t come close to the cargo capacity of my mini van, in which I once fit a full size sofa, chest of drawers and rocking chair, all at the same time.

But despite my happy memories of the Odyssey, I’m totally with you that the model X is in a league of its own, and also still makes me happy each time I get in it.