Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tegra temps, hastening the life of the MCU in older Model S'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is significant addition to our Tegra temp statistics from fleet of ~60 cars. As we know now huge percentage of pre-facelift cars have Tegras running at 70C and higher. Hottest one with 4K vin is even at 88C. Theory is confirmed, older Tegras are running hot most of the time and most probably it considerably accelerates its wear.

Damn, this is terrible engineering. MCUs have been failing for quite some time so Tesla definitely knows it's a problem. They went through multiple design revisions and yet failed to address the elephant in the room? I could understand if it were some obscure issue, but properly maintaining CPU temperature is basic.

Reactions: BigD0g
I think Tesla changed the fan speed and tendency to come on sooner if the car interior warms in the summer -- my console is roaring when I get into a hot car when parked in sunny days. Don't know what software version this fan speed change came along with but has been evident summer of 2017 for sure... before that the console was fairly quiet with fan noise.

Did anyone do a temperature reading with and without the heatsink housing on the board?

Got mine installed with the casing and I used thermal paste instead of the oem thermal pad on the Targa chip, this reduced the temperature with about 5 degrees overall. Now I read that taking the housing off can lower the temp even further so did anyone do this already? This safes me from taking the dash apart again.....

I was told by someone here, that the MCU1 went bad.
They had the SC replace it, In the USA.

The SC said they could not have it back. I thought it was a Federal law that all old parts from a repair were yours.

I was told by someone here, that the MCU1 went bad.
They had the SC replace it, In the USA.

The SC said they could not have it back. I thought it was a Federal law that all old parts from a repair were yours.

If it’s replaces under warranty they do not need to give you the part back. If you purchased the new part they do need to give the bad part to you.

• Informative
Reactions: StarLog