Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A hundred grand SUV is not competing with a Model Y, chief.
It’s not 100 grand, you’ve that just plucked that number out of thin air, chief.

You might be able to spec the top of the range one to that but that’s not the same as a 100+k starting price like the X.

The starting price for the 4s is not much higher than what a Model Y Performance was retailing for before they pulled the rug on the prices.

Also, it’s a Porsche. You expect to pay a bit of a premium since it’s a premium brand, unlike Tesla.

Oh, and its available in RHD so it’s definitely not competing with the Model X 😂

It’s not 100 grand, you’ve that just plucked that number out of thin air, chief.

You might be able to spec the top of the range one to that but that’s not the same as a 100+k starting price like the X.

The starting price for the 4s is not much higher than what a Model Y Performance was retailing for before they pulled the rug on the prices.

Also, it’s a Porsche. You expect to pay a bit of a premium since it’s a premium brand, unlike Tesla.

Oh, and its available in RHD so it’s definitely not competing with the Model X 😂
It's £70k before you even look at an options list. It is NOT a Model Y competitor, you silly sausage.

The problem with the Macan, and every other EV on the market, is that your lovely new car will be at the mercy of the public charging infrastructure if you want to take it any distance from home. I don't want to spend £100k+ on a car and then be worried whether I can get to Wales and back (other destinations are available).

Reactions: spdpsba
I think you are apply legacy-auto logic to Tesla, what are you defining as progress ? Other companies will take an existing model and make relatively small bodyshell changes, update the software, and call it an entirely new model. Take the Fiesta being retired for Puma to take over, it's the same car underneath.

Tesla's software is largely evergreen, i.e. deployed backwards onto your previous car so the new ones have relatively few other differences. Of course the software is significantly changed compared to what you started with in 2019. Would you prefer not to have upgrades and have all the 'new' only when you replaced the car.

I went from a 2019 Model 3 to a 2022 Model 3, and I can assure you that the efficiency has taken huge steps forward, average power used to be consistently 289wh/mile in the old, now it's 255 wh/mile, a 13.3% improvement. Add also that with the new heat pump the range degradation in winter is lower as well. Perhaps you aren't seeing this as you've moved up to the heavier Model Y rathe than like for like comparison.

To call the new S and X the same as the previous is very extreme, they have completely new interior, new media computer, new battery, new motors, different charging. Other than the shape they are completely different.

So really what you are saying is that Tesla should change the shapes of these cars every few years, and just like other manufacturers this trend is generally to make them larger, heavier and more crossover nonsense, no thanks.
I get all that. But the problem is that car designs age. They get stale. A Model 3 in 2025 that looks almost the same as the Model 3 from 2019 isn't credible.

It's £70k before you even look at an options list. It is NOT a Model Y competitor, you silly sausage.
Its NOT a Model X competitor, you silly sausage 😂

The problem with the Macan, and every other EV on the market, is that your lovely new car will be at the mercy of the public charging infrastructure if you want to take it any distance from home. I don't want to spend £100k+ on a car and then be worried whether I can get to Wales and back (other destinations are available).
No one is really falling for that any more, 3rd party charges work fine and the Supercharger network is opening up.

On my holiday to Wales last summer I stopped off at the Trafford Centre superchargers that were open to all and when in Wales I used the 50kwh pod point charger at Lidl.

No one is really falling for that any more, 3rd party charges work fine and the Supercharger network is opening up.

On my holiday to Wales last summer I stopped off at the Trafford Centre superchargers that were open to all and when in Wales I used the 50kwh pod point charger at Lidl.
Well, unless things have improved a lot in the last 8 months since we sold our ID.3, I don't agree. There are still too many things that can go wrong that will instantly turn an enjoyable trip in your expensive EV into a nightmare. We ended up spending four hours on a 7kW charger a Co-op car park after going to three rapids that simply wouldn't work.

And as to Lidl - would anyone really trust any specific charger in their car to work or not be IDEd?

Reactions: spdpsba

Yeah, in terms of price it is. Now do bore off.

We ended up spending four hours on a 7kW charger a Co-op car park after going to three rapids that simply wouldn't work.
Maybe you should have planned things a bit better rather than cutting it so fine you had to resort to using a 7kwh charger?

And as to Lidl - would anyone really trust any specific charger in their car to work or not be IDEd?
Sorry, not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean ICEd? Well I’ve yet to have that happen 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, in terms of price it is. Now do bore off
I see words are a bit difficult for you to comprehend, so here are some pictures to help.

Here is the starting price of a Model X

1706209723474.png

And this is the starting price of a Macan EV

1706209820089.png

Now do bore off. And maybe attend a maths class, you halfwit

Reactions: Leejmoff
Maybe you should have planned things a bit better rather than cutting it so fine you had to resort to using a 7kwh charger?

Sorry, not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean ICEd? Well I’ve yet to have that happen 🤷‍♂️

I see words are a bit difficult for you to comprehend, so here are some pictures to help.

Here is the starting price of a Model X

View attachment 1012189

And this is the starting price of a Macan EV

View attachment 1012190

Now do bore off. And maybe attend a maths class, you halfwit

"Model Y competitor". Chortle.

Margaret, let's not get a Model Y, it says here we can get a Macan for the low, low price of just £25,000 more than the Model Y.

Honest to god, you've had a 'mare. I wouldn't even mind but the Macan Turbo which is probably closest to the X on paper stats, starts at £95k.

Last edited:
Thanks for backing up my point 😂

Look at the screenshot you posted, the top of the range Macan starts at 95k.

You could add a few grands worth of options to get it to the same price as an entry level X (just under 98k), which, once more since you’re obviously a bit thick, is exactly what I said in the post you quoted.

Now let’s compare apples to apples - I’ll even do the sums for you because I’m nice like that - an entry spec Macan costs 70k and the entry spec X costs 98k. That’s a difference of 28 thousand quid.

Stop embarrassing yourself. And maybe learn to read as well as count.

Look at the screenshot you posted, the top of the range Macan starts at 95k.

You could add a few grands worth of options to get it to the same price as an entry level X (just under 98k)

We cant get a new X over here anymore but a used x fully loaded top of the range all singing and dancing X makes it look laughable even though this is more of a model Y sort of car to which the price parity is very far away.

What am I missing?