Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be very surprised if there's a £30k premium over the current ICE Macan. Managed to spec up a half decent Macan S for under 70k so a base Macan should come in for just over 60
Huge premium. Nearly everything is an option on a Porsche. Especially all the tech. Zero discounts to be had either, unlike Audi.

IMG_1167.jpeg

What car

Tangentially related but I have noticed an abundance of Taycans parked outside a nearby Porsche dealership. Even parked on the grass verges on the run to the building.
Potential oversupply and price cuts looming? Tumbling 2nd hand values might make them an unappealing ownership prospect.

Porsche Taycan servicing is stupid, and I assume obligatory if you want to maintain resale value. Last I checked it was £thousands for a 4 year package (serviced bi-annually). Just dumb and exploitative.

That said - Porsche are smart, they probably know their customers are uneasy with NOT getting their pants pulled down on at least an annual basis when they visit the big glass fronted dealership. I used to feel like I was "special" with a Cayman paying over the odds for various things, but have since got a lot more cynical about egregious bills because of the badge.

I kinda feel like it's a racket that has a limited shelf life. More and more people will realise that EVs have few moving parts relative to ICE, and the parts that do more are either sealed or not serviceable, or both, so they won't stand nonsense yearly servicing for the sake of it.

Anyway that's today's gripe. I hope you enjoyed it.

Tangentially related but I have noticed an abundance of Taycans parked outside a nearby Porsche dealership. Even parked on the grass verges on the run to the building.
Potential oversupply and price cuts looming? Tumbling 2nd hand values might make them an unappealing ownership prospect.
Taycan depreciation is shocking, had a look at a 18 month old one on Autotrader up for £62k, list new was £102k, motorway value it at £48k with 13k miles, I don’t think the low range of them helps, feel Porsche should be at the cutting edge but 268 miles WLTP is pretty average nowadays but they do look great and I’m sure they drive great

Hardly a surprise, all these flagship cars from volume manufacturers suffer eye watering depreciation. It’s not unique to Porsche or EVs, you’d have suffered the same kind of drop on a new ICE BMW 7 series or Audi A8.

You can grab a used Merc EQS that cost 112k new for 60k on AutoTrader.

Reactions: Mark89052
Hardly a surprise, all these flagship cars from volume manufacturers suffer eye watering depreciation. It’s not unique to Porsche or EVs, you’d have suffered the same kind of drop on a new ICE BMW 7 series or Audi A8.

You can grab a used Merc EQS that cost 112k new for 60k on AutoTrader.
Yes agree, it’s across the board, just getting back to the norm of how things were before Covid and chip shortages

(serviced bi-annually). Just dumb and exploitative

Not wanting to cut them any slack, but when I got the first MS the service interval (required for warranty) was same as ICE. They eased that - once they got to the point where they didn't have anything like enough service capacity for the number of cars they had sold :) But ... there was also an element of wanting to see the cars regularly, in those early years, to notice if stuff was going aright to be able to adjust design of current production.

So maybe there is some of that ... they do also have to put food on the table of the dealers, which is going to be a problem with all automotive manufacturers who use the dealer-model once servicing drops off a cliff - particularly if the ownership-period of a car increases significantly too.

The last point you make there is the crucial one I think.

It's pretty grim but I think these big glass fronted dealerships are going to have to adapt to survive. There will certainly need to be less of them I think, and the ones that exist will need to be repurposed into more like service centres.

There will always be a certain customer who wants to touch and feel stuff, but I see it becoming more like an Apple store kind of vibe, where it's just a product exhibition rather than a sales centre.

they do also have to put food on the table of the dealers, which is going to be a problem with all automotive manufacturers who use the dealer-model once servicing drops off a cliff - particularly if the ownership-period of a car increases significantly too.

I dont run a charity service either as to give these people money for inflated service costs . They will just have to restructure just like the banks, and major high street shops have. This is the cost of progress unfortunately.

They will have to change how they do things and be more transparent as to what work is being done, not just change things for the sakes of changing things like brake fluid (which can be tested) or key fob batteries that can also be tested (and might of recently been changed) or do a recall on changing a part today and charge/change the part again in 6 months time just because its part of the service interval which is only due every 4 years or so... some stuff you get charged for is just mind boggling!