Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app version 4.0.0 has app re design for both car and energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are your settings?? I’d love to let my batteries charge from grid during my free nights ;)
The same I always had.

Off peak from 9:00pm to 4:00pm the next day.

Partial Peak from 4:00pm to 7:00pm (I did this so solar still goes to the house when they’re still partially producing instead of all to the grid like it does with cost saving.). My house is fed by both solar and battery during this time.

Peak from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm.

During off peak on Cost Savings when the sun comes up it starts charging from solar for a bit then switches charging from the grid once my pool pump kicks on even though I producing more solar than the house is using. When set to Balanced the solar first goes to the house then excess to the battery until it’s full.

During off peak on Cost Savings when the sun comes up it starts charging from solar for a bit then switches charging from the grid once my pool pump kicks on even though I producing more solar than the house is using. When set to Balanced the solar first goes to the house then excess to the battery until it’s full.
Again, is the battery charging at a rate that is greater than the total solar output? If not, then it is not really charging from the grid despite what the graphic may show. What the Cost Savings may be doing is putting as much (solar) charge into the battery as it can during off-peak, and since your pool pump is on power needs to be drawn from the grid to feed it. I'm not saying you should prefer that behavior, just trying to understand what is really happening within what we think are the rules.

Again, is the battery charging at a rate that is greater than the total solar output? If not, then it is not really charging from the grid despite what the graphic may show. What the Cost Savings may be doing is putting as much (solar) charge into the battery as it can during off-peak, and since your pool pump is on power needs to be drawn from the grid to feed it. I'm not saying you should prefer that behavior, just trying to understand what is really happening within what we think are the rules.
Again, I already explained this. I am watching it live on two different APPs AND it is charging more than what the solar is producing at the time.
It was charging from the grid. I watched it live on the Autarkieman APP and on this APP. Another way I know it charged from the grid is the power to the PW was greater than what my solar was producing at the time.

You need to get close to the PW to do the pairing, might as well since you need to flip the PW off/on anyway. I paired my PWs with my iPhone and iPad without issue. Someone on Youtube showed that the soft off-grid will not work if PW is 100%.

Also found out that it can be an iPhone widget but only displays car status, it would be nice if you can choose PW or Solar in the widget.

I noticed this too. Where's my full day data so I can see what and how much went where with a glance? The data is a bit hard to read being gray on black. Obviously created by someone in their 20's!

Backup Only and TOU cost/balanced is now gone.
not being able to overlay the sources on the graph is a big step backwards. Plus the graph is smaller. The animation looks cool, but much harder to read than the previous simpler version. In general, I don't like the upgrade and did not have a choice on install. It just appeared

I'm still hating the new graphs. Besides not being able to see everything on one graph as was possible before, it's really difficult to see the some of the same trends in the new graphs.

As an example, I regularly look at the monthly report and with the old graphs I could instantly tell how many days solar production exceeded household usage and by how much. Compare that to the new graphs. Oh yeah, you can't show both values at once... :rolleyes:

Screenshot_20210828-153102_Tesla.jpg

IMG_20210828_152934.jpg
IMG_20210828_155458.jpg
IMG_20210828_155426.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still hating the new graphs. Besides not being able to see everything on one graph as was possible before, it's really difficult to see the some of the same trends in the new graphs.

As an example, I regularly look at the monthly report and with the old graphs I could instantly tell how many days solar production exceeded household usage and by how much. Compare that to the new graph. Oh yeah, you can't show both values at once... :rolleyes:

View attachment 702676

View attachment 702677View attachment 702685View attachment 702686
yuck. How do we NEVER get 4.0?

I gave up on constantly switching my settings back to balanced and am letting it run on time based mode. The first thing I noticed is that the battery charges from the grid with all solar going to the house, just as it did when I first downloaded the APP. I know this is not supposed to happen.
I'm missing Balanced mode functionality already. In the past, if I wanted to top off the car battery during the day, it would charge the car from solar and maybe take a few kWh from the grid if there were some passing clouds. With Cost Saving, it is discharging 13 kW from my Powerwalls and exporting 8 kW to the grid in off peak. In the past, the Powerwalls wouldn't be discharged until peak starts at 6 pm. The Powerwalls are already down to 63% when they should still be at 100%. :rolleyes:
IMG_20210828_161534.jpg

The state of charge graph for the Powerwalls also incorrectly showed they were at 0% for a while.
IMG_20210828_163202.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: skepticcyclist
I tried it and get a consistent ERROR message with no further details. Anyone have success with this?
Don’t you have to have the gateway used as an actual subpanel for this to work? Or have the Powerwall+ with the solar assembly?

It doesn’t work for me either. I just assumed it was because my Subpanel is controlled by my enphase combiner box. My Tesla gateway just controls where the power goes. There are no breakers in it at all.

I'm missing Balanced mode functionality already. In the past, if I wanted to top off the car battery during the day, it would charge the car from solar and maybe take a few kWh from the grid if there were some passing clouds. With Cost Saving, it is discharging 13 kWh from my Powerwalls and exporting to the grid in off peak. In the past, the Powerwalls wouldn't be discharged until peak starts at 6 pm. The Powerwalls are already down to 63% when they should still be at 100%. :rolleyes:
View attachment 702688
I’m going to ride Time Based mode out for a while and see if it starts to behave more like a compromise between Cost Savings and Balanced. If not I may just end up going to Self Powered.

The only two nice things about Cost Savings is that the battery cycles less often and more is sent back to the grid during Shoulder. But I also use more from the grid. So the total amount being sent to and coming from the grid is much larger.

There are fees for both sending and receiving from the grid. It’s not really cost savings unless you really use it to load shift. That’s why I liked balance. I can load shift AND use the grid less for both sending and receiving power.

I’m going to ride Time Based mode out for a while and see if it starts to behave more like a compromise between Cost Savings and Balanced. If not I may just end up going to Self Powered.

The only two nice things about Cost Savings is that the battery cycles less often and more is sent back to the grid during Shoulder. But I also use more from the grid. So the total amount being sent to and coming from the grid is much larger.

There are fees for both sending and receiving from the grid. It’s not really cost savings unless you really use it to load shift. That’s why I liked balance. I can load shift AND use the grid less for both sending and receiving power.
If there was a scheduled self-powered mode, we would use that since we try to be as self-powered as possible. Since we are on ToU, we have to use Time-Based Control to avoid all grid usage during Peak.

It's now pulling 13 kW from the grid and charging the Powerwalls at 8 kW from solar. I think running two versions of the app is causing some conflicts in logic as 20 minutes ago it was discharging the Powerwalls and sending all solar to the grid. :rolleyes:

I just noticed it is incorrectly showing weekday peak hours from 3 pm until 6 pm on the weekend so that explains some of the odd behavior.
IMG_20210828_164931.jpg

If there was a scheduled self-powered mode, we would use that since we try to be as self-powered as possible. Since we are on ToU, we have to use Time-Based Control to avoid all grid usage during Peak.

It's now pulling 13 kW from the grid and charging the Powerwalls at 8 kW from solar. I think running two versions of the app is causing some conflicts in logic as 20 minutes ago it was discharging the Powerwalls and sending all solar to the grid. :rolleyes:

I just noticed it is incorrectly showing weekday peak hours from 3 pm until 6 pm on the weekend so that explains some of the odd behavior.
View attachment 702705
Yeah. Everytime I open 4.0 on my phone it auto switches to cost savings. Then I open version 3 on my iPad and change it back to balanced. That could be the reason I’m getting weird behavior too.

One other minor issue. I notice when you select the graphs it only displays data up to the last time you accessed the graph. You have to change the time frame and then go back to “day” to have the graph update to current time. Are others experiencing the same?
Yes, I see it too. The other way to force it to update is to pull it down to force a refresh. However, if you grab inside the chart area, it only wants to pull sideways. You have to pull down outside the chart area.

Don’t you have to have the gateway used as an actual subpanel for this to work? Or have the Powerwall+ with the solar assembly?

It doesn’t work for me either. I just assumed it was because my Subpanel is controlled by my enphase combiner box. My Tesla gateway just controls where the power goes. There are no breakers in it at all.
I don’t even know what this means :) I just know what the app told me to do.