Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla - Apple Watch support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ouch!! I ordered my Apple Watch at precisely two minutes after the site went live. of course i ordered 42mm Space grey with black band and I'm still showing May 7-15 as ship date. I really want my watch, especially since it will match so nicely with my new MCR P85D. of course, as those more fortunate in the thread are noting, we must have a Tesla app or we must surely die! (my apologies to one time fellow Floridian Jim Morrison)

I got my Apple Watch (....least expensive Sport model...planning for obsolescence) Friday, and have had a couple of days to get used to it. Me, it is not about health or activity monitoring or being cool. Like many prior tech products, and in my personal experience, using a long line of Apple products, it comes down to simply and elegantly enhancing my productivity and life. I have an iPhone which I probably refer to about 50 times a day (e-mails, alerts, SMS, voice calls, web search, drug reference, electronic medical record, Apple Pay, TM charging notifications, etc, etc). With the Apple Watch, I get a subtle alert which I can ignore, or just glance at by bringing my wrist up. Saves time, reduces awkward social interruptions. So far, meeting my expectations. And, as with the original iPhone, it's not just the hardware, but the apps. Give it some time for the developer community to actually get their hands on an Apple Watch (...ooooh, sorry for the pun)--since most developers had to work with an emulator and not the actual device--and you will see an explosion of really useful tools.

I got my Apple Watch (....least expensive Sport model...planning for obsolescence) Friday, and have had a couple of days to get used to it.....

...So far, meeting my expectations. And, as with the original iPhone, it's not just the hardware, but the apps. Give it some time for the developer community to actually get their hands on an Apple Watch (...ooooh, sorry for the pun)--since most developers had to work with an emulator and not the actual device--and you will see an explosion of really useful tools.

I got mine Friday with the thought that I could check it out and if need be return it within the 14 days allowed. The hardest part has been getting used to wearing a watch again-I only wear watches as occasional jewelry for the past many years. I fully expected the odds were I would play with it and send it back.

I'm going to keep it. After getting the notifications set up properly, it is quite useful if you are a heavy Apple user already.

Last edited:
Well after making comments here, I actually had a chance to check out the watch myself as a friend bought and received it yesterday. Needless to say, I won't be buying one and my friend is going to return it or sell it on eBay. Saw it in action, it vibrates your wrist and bugs you on your arm versus in your pocket so you can choose when to pull it out and look at the alerts. Now it's like a court ordered ankle bracelet nagging you for every notification you may receive. Unless you are an on call doctor waiting for that critical alert, I see no reason to absolutely need alerts buzzing your wrist right away. I think because it's new
guys are all up on the thing justifying your purchase, but I can see all of you in 3-4 weeks missing a charge and now it's collecting dust on a shelf. Get back to me in a month or less.

Well after making comments here, I actually had a chance to check out the watch myself as a friend bought and received it yesterday. Needless to say, I won't be buying one and my friend is going to return it or sell it on eBay. Saw it in action, it vibrates your wrist and bugs you on your arm versus in your pocket so you can choose when to pull it out and look at the alerts. Now it's like a court ordered ankle bracelet nagging you for every notification you may receive. ...

Do you work for the NYT by chance??
If you don't want it to vibrate your wrist, turn off the notifications.
That is the whole point, for me, in getting it. So that if my blood sugar drops, while driving, or while my receiver is buried in a pocket under a jacket, it is easy and convenient for me to quickly see the alert.
While driving, if I am expecting an important notification, I can safely glance at my watch, rather than trying to dig out my phone.
And, while at a meeting or other event where having a phone, or blood sugar monitor buzzing away would be awkward, I get a subtle tap on the wrist.

I am surprised your friend didn't go to an Apple Store to try out the watch in person.
I did, that is what convinced me to buy as I was very skeptical before.

Yesterday my girlfriend was showing me a Facebook post where one person has gotten the open source Eleks Tesla code working. I guess sheer was a discussion about updating a few things but the app is working. I have her ask if it is ok the repost the information.

I have an Apple Watch on order and have had an in store demo. The Watch does not "vibrate", it "taps" you on the wrist, which is amazingly cool and unobtrusive but noticeable. And of course you can configure what it will "tap" you about.
I am sure your friend will be able to quick.y sell his Watch for near full price.
Well after making comments here, I actually had a chance to check out the watch myself as a friend bought and received it yesterday. Needless to say, I won't be buying one and my friend is going to return it or sell it on eBay. Saw it in action, it vibrates your wrist and bugs you on your arm versus in your pocket so you can choose when to pull it out and look at the alerts. Now it's like a court ordered ankle bracelet nagging you for every notification you may receive. Unless you are an on call doctor waiting for that critical alert, I see no reason to absolutely need alerts buzzing your wrist right away. I think because it's new
guys are all up on the thing justifying your purchase, but I can see all of you in 3-4 weeks missing a charge and now it's collecting dust on a shelf. Get back to me in a month or less.

...1 less buyer...will make someone else happy. Maybe reread my post above to give you some real world idea....

I got my watch as well. I have not worn a watch for years so getting used to that is an issue. The other problem is that some of my dress shirts have fairly small cuffs and I can't do up the cuff links with the watch on. I will have to get shirts with larger cuffs on the left sleeve in the future.

Love my Apple Watch!

AW.jpg

I made an appointment at the local Apple store, went to the "Apple Watch Basic" class (I was the only "student") yesterday.
While it is impressive, I'm not convinced I would start wearing a watch again... last time was before my Motorola Startech flip phone in the late 1990's (it had a time display, I seem to remember... I am also dating myself). I've had them all, from the lowly Timex's to the Casio calculator watches (in the 1980's). I even tried on 3 models, the Watch Sport 42mm with the Sport Band (lowest cost model @ $399), the 42mm with the Stainless Steel Milanese Loop $699 (the one I liked best because the band is infinitly adjustable), and the 42mm Stainless Steel with Link Bracelet $999 (best looking, but adjusting is done by removing links, and it's pricey).

I'm going to wait for a bit, until the Apple stores stock them, or I find one one eBay or Craigslist. I don't feel the need to be an "early adopter" of this particular product... especially since I'm not convinced I can go back to wearing a watch after more than 15 years have past without the need for it. It's very cool, the way it monitors your heartbeat, and you can "send" your heartbeat to another Apple watch on your contact list, I'll give them that.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool, just a small less informative version of the app that is on your phone. I assure you in a month it will be collecting dust on your shelf.

I "assure" you that anyone who has bought, worn and used an Apple Watch, will NOT leave it on any shelf or take it off to collect dust.
Wear one, use one, then talk, otherwise, it's best to shhhh...

Sour grapes much?
August delivery date grape type of sourness...much?

I speculate Apple may have helped developed the Disney Magic Bands which we used last time at Disney and they were fabulous. Not having to carry a wallet and keys around is incredibly handy. This is where the Apple watch is going. Because the watch is attached to your wrist, it will be more secure than your phone and will be the key for the Model S and many other locks like our homes, hotel rooms (already available) , etc. I have a watch on order.

Last edited:
I made an appointment at the local Apple store, went to the "Apple Watch Basic" class (I was the only "student") yesterday.
While it is impressive, I'm not convinced I would start wearing a watch again... last time was before my Motorola Startech flip phone in the late 1990's (it had a time display, I seem to remember... I am also dating myself). I've had them all, from the lowly Timex's to the Casio calculator watches (in the 1980's). ...

That was my biggest issue. I also haven't worn a watch in decades.
Before ordering I wanted to try them on and see how comfortable they were.
I found the 38mm watches fit very well. I have skinny wrists and the 42s were just too big.
I'm going with the Sports watch as the fit was perfect, and they are the least expensive.

Alas, I'll have another 4-6 weeks to wait until mine arrives. However, I am looking forward to the convenience.

I got my Stainless Steel model on Friday.

I find it useful to get alerts (which I can customize and filter) without having to take my phone out of my pocket.

I ordered two and sold one (space grey Sport) on eBay. A Saudi bought it and brought the total price and brought the cost of my personal watch to four dollars.

I'm looking forward to Tesla functionality on the watch and seeing what types of cool things developers can cobble up for us.

I "assure" you that anyone who has bought, worn and used an Apple Watch, will NOT leave it on any shelf or take it off to collect dust.
Wear one, use one, then talk, otherwise, it's best to shhhh...

Sour grapes much?
August delivery date grape type of sourness...much?

Sour grapes? Lol. Yeah, I'm bitter about not purchasing something I never wanted and still do not want? I have a Pebble watch I used for a week sitting in one of my cabinets because getting redundant alerts on my
arm vs phone was pointless. Don't worry, you and 75% of all Apple Watch purchasers who are adopting early will do the same shortly. I was pretty stoked and felt the need to justify my Pebble watch and why I'm wearing it too when I first got it.