Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla as only vehicle

Should I go with the Model 3 as a second vehicle, or Model Y as only vehicle?

• Model 3 as second vehicle

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Model Y as only vehicle

Votes: 54 64.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there - first time poster here, finally getting into this because I am finally at the point where my first Tesla is hopefully in my not too distant future.

I currently own a 2016 RAV4 hybrid and have had 0 problems with it. Only 60,000 km (~37,000 miles) on it, so it has lots of life left.

There are two scenarios I’m considering: Model 3 as a second vehicle, or Model Y as only vehicle.

I cannot afford the Model Y as a second vehicle, so I would using the RAV4 as a trade in (expecting a good trade in value for it considering the mileage and it’s in excellent condition).

I live in Toronto and do not have a garage to park the car in the winters (it gets real cold and snows fairly regularly). However, I would be able to keep the car plugged in at all times when not in use, which I’ve heard helps the cabin and battery at a decent temperature (but please correct me if I’m wrong here!).

The cold weather issues with electric vehicles in general (especially without a garage to keep it comparatively “warm”) make me nervous about having an EV as my only vehicle (point to the Model 3). However, the extra ride height and space of the Y is super appealing as my wife and I are expecting our first little human next year and we will certainly need the space - a Model 3 as the only vehicle would not suffice for weekend trips to the cottage (point to the Model Y).

Having 2 vehicles at this point also seems unnecessary for us right now (point to the Model Y) - as you can probably tell by the mileage on our 3 year old RAV4, we don’t drive a whole lot - but we expect to need two in the not too distant future as our family grows (point to the Model 3).

If you’re still reading, you can probably tell that I’m a bit conflicted. I’m currently leaning Model Y as the more practical option, but would appreciate some feedback from community members who are currently relying on a Tesla as their only vehicle in the winters. Thanks!!

Personally, with two adults and child on the way, I would lean toward having two vehicles for flexibility if employment changes or situations arise where you're going different directions. Having a backup vehicle for your cold conditions or if one is out of commission (accident, repairs, etc.) doesn't hurt. My wife would always insist on having a vehicle available in case I'm out of town and she needed it.

But... You may have easy access to public transport and keeping up with maintenance, insurance, registration expenses on another vehicle may be more of a hassle. And, you could rent a vehicle if needed and that's not too inconvenient.

Really depends on your needs and preferences. I guess that wasn't too helpful in deciding...

Cold weather issues are often exaggerated and misrepresented - possibly misunderstood. Folks report EVs as being bad at winter because they consume a lot more power in winter. That's certainly true, though it's mostly only in the first half hour or so of a drive where the car has to warm a cold cabin and cold pack.

But a good EV has far more range than you'll use on a normal drive anyway, and the extra electricity is still cheaper than the gas would be in most cases. EVs in general and Teslas in particular are some of the best possible cars to have in cold weather in my opinion. You never have to wonder if it'll start, you have amazing traction control, and there's no warm up period. You can even have the interior warmed up for you before you get in.

Some Teslas have some challenges when ice freezes in inconvenient spots related to the door handle and window seal designs - you'll see the same things on other cars that share those traits, like the frameless window Subaru models. We haven't seen the production Y yet in winter, but Tesla has been pretty consistent about using frameless windows so I imagine it'll have those and the potential issues there.

Hi there - first time poster here, finally getting into this because I am finally at the point where my first Tesla is hopefully in my not too distant future.

I currently own a 2016 RAV4 hybrid and have had 0 problems with it. Only 60,000 km (~37,000 miles) on it, so it has lots of life left.

There are two scenarios I’m considering: Model 3 as a second vehicle, or Model Y as only vehicle.

I cannot afford the Model Y as a second vehicle, so I would using the RAV4 as a trade in (expecting a good trade in value for it considering the mileage and it’s in excellent condition).

I live in Toronto and do not have a garage to park the car in the winters (it gets real cold and snows fairly regularly). However, I would be able to keep the car plugged in at all times when not in use, which I’ve heard helps the cabin and battery at a decent temperature (but please correct me if I’m wrong here!).

The cold weather issues with electric vehicles in general (especially without a garage to keep it comparatively “warm”) make me nervous about having an EV as my only vehicle (point to the Model 3). However, the extra ride height and space of the Y is super appealing as my wife and I are expecting our first little human next year and we will certainly need the space - a Model 3 as the only vehicle would not suffice for weekend trips to the cottage (point to the Model Y).

Having 2 vehicles at this point also seems unnecessary for us right now (point to the Model Y) - as you can probably tell by the mileage on our 3 year old RAV4, we don’t drive a whole lot - but we expect to need two in the not too distant future as our family grows (point to the Model 3).

If you’re still reading, you can probably tell that I’m a bit conflicted. I’m currently leaning Model Y as the more practical option, but would appreciate some feedback from community members who are currently relying on a Tesla as their only vehicle in the winters. Thanks!!

As was stated before, 2 vehicles for a family with a YOUNG child is huge. Having ready transportation helps when unexpected worries about the baby come up. Even with perfect public transportation, if you are at work and the baby gets a scary fever, would you expect your wife to take the baby on public transportation for an "emergency?

The other thing to keep in mind is that your car is "only" 4 years old now with low mileage, but the first time you would have access to a Model Y(as a non-reservation holder) would probably be next year around this time, so its value will have dropped a bit(I am not familiar with 5 year old RAV4 hybrid values).

Depending on when your wife is due, your child might then be approaching a year old, as opposed to being an infant...but confident transportation available with a newborn/toddler was huge for our family.

A Model 3 as the only vehicle would not suffice for weekend trips to the cottage (point to the Model Y).

How so? Just economize your storage space. The Model 3 has plenty.

Don't want to dig into the details of you trip to the cottage unless you want to, but you can surely make it work.

I don't see it so much as a question of money or number of vehicles, but time. The Model Y is still a ways off, and there are a long list of reservations already. You will likely wait no less than a year, and as many as 2 or 3.

Unpopular opinion but...... maybe sell the cottage. You’ll want two cars when the kid comes and you don’t want to deal with any BS. Keep the RAV4, maybe get another one. Tesla might not fit your budget/lifestyle for the next 1-2yrs unless the dust settles from the kid and you get a garage.

Or, do you even have a place to charge either Tesla? Start with that.

Reactions: user212_nr
hi there - torontonian with no garage here. Model 3 is our only car. I have 2 teen daughters active in sports and I have travelled in the 3 to Rochester, NY, fand Sudbury, ON fas recent examples of longer trips. No issues with only 1 car as far as space and convenience are concerned.

Took delivery of the 3 in late August, it replaced an Audi Q3 which was also our only car and when traded in was 4 years old and had ~90k on the odometer. Just before my test drive I took a large cooler, 2 camp chairs, 3 duffle bags, 2 lacrosse bags, my golf clubs for a test fitting. Got it all in. The model 3 is way easier to pack than our small SUV was. Carries more gear, easily.

Winter temps and driving take a toll on range. We have the SR+ and I would say I am comfortable getting 225KM range in winter driving. Just went round trip to up near Orillia - sweated that one a bit as north east of TO is a supercharger dead zone. Made it back to Markham for a quick top up to get home. As for summer driving, I stopped in Grimsby on way to Rochester and then charged in Rochester. No anxiety on that trip.

My practical view point is, you can get away with just a Model 3, takes some planning on long drives. Your historical mileage would indicate the Y or 3 with SR battery would probably suffice - can rent a lot of cars for any trips you may need to make for the battery upgrade price.

Wow thanks everyone for the responses - was not expecting this many! To respond to some of the completely valid points raised;

Unpopular opinion but...... maybe sell the cottage.
Not my cottage to sell, it’s the in-laws ;) we just are lucky enough to be able to enjoy it a few weekends / summer​

Don't want to dig into the details of you trip to the cottage unless you want to, but you can surely make it work.
It’s the two sets of golf clubs we often bring with us that are causing most of the concern. Weekend bags + stroller alone wouldn’t be much of a problem. We golf up there pretty much every time we go - might have to start sacrificing it...​

Even with perfect public transportation, if you are at work and the baby gets a scary fever, would you expect your wife to take the baby on public transportation for an "emergency”
Absolutely not - the car would stay home, I’m a 5 minute walk from an express train that basically takes me right to my office. Haven’t driven to work on a long time (ugh traffic)​

Also not going to lie, owning a Tesla has been something I’ve been very excited about since the S came out. So now that the financial stars are aligning, the prospect of having one of these in my driveway is very exciting.

I’ll check the Model Y boards, but has Tesla announced how many pre-orders they have for the Y? Would it really be a year from now before I could get one? I had a 3 reservation and I remember my number came up a lot earlier than expected, which is why I cancelled.

I recommend that you wait until the Model Y has been out for a year before you trade in the RAV. I'm a fairly early adopter (July 2018 build Model 3, VIN 47XXX) and feel that the cars being built now are in far better shape at delivery than mine was. In addition, the pricing has become much more favorable. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and I knew going in that as an early adopter, there might be issues (there were) . And Tesla has fixed every issue without push back or delay. Since then the car has been flawless. But if I had been more patient and had waited a year, I may have avoided the early hassles and I would have saved around $4,000.

BTW, in my opinion, the Model 3 is an outstanding winter driver. Order the all wheel drive model, put good snow tires on it and it will go anywhere. The Model Y should perform just as well.

Reactions: Vegaforce
The Model Y pre-order numbers were not bragged about by Elon like the 3 or the Cybertruck. Currently the 3 is in heavy production so getting one “today” wouldn’t be too much of a wait but a Y will most definitely have you waiting until at least late 2020. Good luck with whatever you decide and no worries if you don’t pull the trigger on a Tesla this year or next, they’ll be around for a long time.

The Model Y pre-order numbers were not bragged about by Elon like the 3 or the Cybertruck. Currently the 3 is in heavy production so getting one “today” wouldn’t be too much of a wait but a Y will most definitely have you waiting until at least late 2020. Good luck with whatever you decide and no worries if you don’t pull the trigger on a Tesla this year or next, they’ll be around for a long time.

They've been trying hard to downplay the Y, because they'd really rather sell you a 3 today than fill your Y order in a year.

It's an open question how quickly they can ramp Y production, and I don't think anyone has a realistic idea when a Y ordered today will be delivered.

Personally I would not want to own a Tesla in a location without a garage where it snows/sleets in Winter.

I live in New England and have owned a Model 3 last Winter and a Model X this Winter with a partial heated attached garage.
I would not want to deal with a Tesla car left in the elements every night.

First day my Model X got caught in a sunny day that was like 32F and a couple snow flurries.
There was not a snow flake in sight when I left work at 7 PM and it was like 20F out. The Doors were frozen solid and windows too.
This was a mild winter day. Model 3 was the same. It didn't phase my wife's Volt parked in the same lot.

Yes you can deal with it. Even Tesla recommends pounding your fist on things to get in your car, really.

Here is a pretty long laundry list of winter tips. Yes, ICE needs some of this too. But doesn't need so much TLC in Winter.
A garage, makes it way more comfortable. Half of the TLC issues have nothing to do with EV vs ICE. It has to do with how Tesla designs and builds them.

Winter Driving Tips

Reactions: ArcticStation
First day my Model X got caught in a sunny day that was like 32F and a couple snow flurries.
There was not a snow flake in sight when I left work at 7 PM and it was like 20F out. The Doors were frozen solid and windows too.
This was a mild winter day. Model 3 was the same. It didn't phase my wife's Volt parked in the same lot.
Simply turn on the heater before you go out to the car. In less than 10 minutes, it will be toasty warm and all the snow / ice will have been dealt with. We've had our X in plenty of very cold situations and never had the doors stuck. I guess I never checked the windows because ... well ... why would I open the windows in those conditions?

Reactions: digitalDCH