Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla attacks heating up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The more cars Tesla delivers, the more the negative press kicks in.
The big car companies are starting to panic.
No matter how hard they try, they won't be able to pull a Tucker or DeLorean move this time.

Are they? In general Tesla get's a lot of press, good and bad. But let's check google news and type in "Tesla".

Right now at this moment my news feed is mostly positive, with CR now recommending the car, some German engineers proclaiming the Model 3 to be profitable, Canadians being happy about their deliveries, the power pack getting a SW update.

There is some news about a new Alfa EV sports car, which isn't really negative, as well as another AP crash, which is, but there are already reports that Tesla denies the person has used AP.
Teslarati, not really an anti Tesla site writes:
"Tesla’s race to full self-driving under pressure as GM Cruise gets $2.25B investment"
And business insider writes:
"Tesla has the power to shake up the auto industry if it scales back its product offerings, analyst says'"

If I type in BMW, I get basically the same amount of positive and negative articles, for example:
Bloomberg:
"Trump Tariff Blow Would Go Beyond Sending BMW Sedans to $60,000"

In general, there are no secret conspiracies by "big oil", the (((media))), or something like that. Sure, if you read only the seeking alfa articles of some Tesla shorts, then you might be right, but they did that for years. The AP crashes are a bit annoying, but that won't kill Tesla. Most of the big news people notice, is either Tesla's own fault, or due to their own merit. They just get more press, which is actually a good thing. Otherwise not that many people would know they exist. And saves a lot on advertisement.

Right now at this moment my news feed is
...is in my opinion a cherry-picked sampling, not indicative of say, the last 30 days.

In general, there are no secret conspiracies by "big oil", the (((media))), or something like that.
What about non-secret smearacy projects?
$10 million a year to name just one:

“The Kochs have invested heavily in a pugnacious defense of fossil fuel consumption,” said one conservative energy analyst. “They’ve done this in the electricity sector, and as the debate shifts to transportation they’re behaving true to form.” #KochsTuckers

(I wonder what a little bit of Greg-Palast-style follow-the-money would find on that known initiative.) There’s other in-plain-sight missions like NADA’s and TADA’s organized talkingpoints dissemination.

The “conspiracy” is not remotely deniable, I hate to tell you. That it’s not a secret does not make it not slimy.

Everyone, don’t deny yourself the sheer entertainment value of Keef Wivaneff and his personal campaign to file every picture he can find of a damaged Tesla with the NHTSA (google Whompy Wheels and pass the popcorn). He’s also been Flat-Earthing SpaceX rocket landing (“wocket wanding”) videos. To protect us from “Ewon.”

Toward the general topic: Here’s another tag inspired by the works of the unique FUDflinger we know as “Keef”...
#WhompyWords

Reactions: neroden
...is in my opinion a cherry-picked sampling, not indicative of say, the last 30 days.

What about non-secret smearacy projects?
$10 million a year to name just one:

“The Kochs have invested heavily in a pugnacious defense of fossil fuel consumption,” said one conservative energy analyst. “They’ve done this in the electricity sector, and as the debate shifts to transportation they’re behaving true to form.”

(I wonder what a little bit of Greg-Palast-style follow-the-money would find on that known initiative.) There’s other in-plain-sight missions like NADA’s and TADA’s organized talkingpoints dissemination.

The “conspiracy” is not remotely deniable, I hate to tell you. That it’s not a secret does not make it not slimy.

Everyone, don’t deny yourself the sheer entertainment value of Keef Wivaneff and his personal campaign to file every picture he can find of a damaged Tesla with the NHTSA (google Whompy Wheels and pass the popcorn). He’s also been Flat-Earthing SpaceX rocket landing (“wocket wanding”) videos. To protect us from “Ewon.”

Toward the general topic: Here’s another tag inspired by the works of the unique FUDflinger we know as “Keef”...
#WhompyWords

I didn't track the news of the last 30 days of course, but from my own experience it's not gotten any more positive, or negative than it ever was. It just reflects what happens right now. If Space X shoots a Roadster into space, you see good news, if Elon lashes out at a conference call, you see bad news. Is it the medias fault? Well, they report what happens. Sometimes it's not informed enough, like with some AP crashes, but mostly it's just what happens.

And sure there are lobby groups working for the Kochs, but like you mentioned, that's not a secret, everyone knows about it. And of course the oil industry will lobby against electric vehicles, just like the paper industry lobbies against digitalization. Honestly, they do:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...obby-fighting-against-digitization-180949785/

But they don't buy media outlets to spread false information. People that actually own media outlets are people like Warren Buffet(28 daily newspapers), who also owns BYD stock, or Amazon's Bezos (Washington Post), Carlos Slim (majority owner of the NYT), who isn't invested in transportation, Fox and ton of other news outlets belong to the Murdochs and James Murdoch has a seat on the Tesla board, they also own the wall street journal. Bloomberg is owned by Bloomberg, who himself is a major activist for the environment in the Sierra Club, which is also supported by Arianna Huffington, another person owning a big news outlet.

So the idea, that the news would be controlled by the oil industry is pretty outlandish.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Welllll to be honest, they've done some sketchy accounting and been slapped for it.
As far as the deposits go, they're being used to fund operations... yet they are liabilities.

Various kinds of liabilities are used to fund operations: loans, bonds, and accounts payable as well as deposits. The deposits were never promised to be escrowed and not used.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
So the idea, that the news would be controlled by the oil industry is pretty outlandish.

Thanks for the literate and civil reply. It is a good contrast to the YouTube and Twitter word salad I keep reading.

As I ask my Facebook friends who post Facebook posts complaining about (for instance) Facebook rearranging their news feeds:
"Are we the customer here? Are you paying anything for that news feed? In reality FB is working for the advertisers. You are the Product: FB is selling your Eyes And Clicks. They work for the advertisers." Replace "FB" with what you call "the news" and be honest about whom we should assume they are "controlled by."

Just a thought experiment suggestion.
Everyone go have a great (non-whompy) weekend!

Still awaiting the drive from coast to coast that was to take place last year with a Tesla and no driver interaction - yes there has been a lot of over promises and late delivery, while at the same time the press has been very negatively biased if one looks at the proportion of reporting of Tesla incidents vs other manufactures for vehicles.
Two things are happening from my respective,
1) Tesla doesn't advertise and the press needs to make point that they have power to make things very difficult for anyone that does not play the game and pay up
2) Big oil who is sponsored by gov's via huge subsidies, is seeing the writing on the wall and reacting - they don't want anyone looking their way and they have the funds to campaign (to say things nicely) to persuade the press to toe the line.

One only needs to see what Musk did to the old boys in the launch market ( Russian is now out of that business) for big oil and the whole vehicle service industry to be very worried - thus react to a coming storm.

Still awaiting the drive from coast to coast that was to take place last year with a Tesla and no driver interaction - yes there has been a lot of over promises and late delivery, while at the same time the press has been very negatively biased if one looks at the proportion of reporting of Tesla incidents vs other manufactures for vehicles.
Two things are happening from my respective,
1) Tesla doesn't advertise and the press needs to make point that they have power to make things very difficult for anyone that does not play the game and pay up
2) Big oil who is sponsored by gov's via huge subsidies, is seeing the writing on the wall and reacting - they don't want anyone looking their way and they have the funds to campaign (to say things nicely) to persuade the press to toe the line.

One only needs to see what Musk did to the old boys in the launch market ( Russian is now out of that business) for big oil and the whole vehicle service industry to be very worried - thus react to a coming storm.
Spot ON !!

One of the points that is getting pushed hard, Tesla needs someone as CEO that knows how to manufacture high volumes of cars.

There are only two companies that have produced over 300,000 all-electric vehicles, one of them is Nissan. I don't think their CEO is interested in the job. The other starts with a T.

Reactions: Pentium2004
From The Guardian (UK)... a pretty vitriolic piece... not endorsing it... just putting it up here...
Elon Musk: as business fortunes dip, he starts a war with the media

The first half - and the headline, of course - are more negative than the latter half. I think that's how journalists sometimes defend themselves, pointing to positive points they write about Musk, the Model 3, Autopilot, Tesla, etc... But many readers don't get past the headline or first few paragraphs, so when they write a negative headline and start out with negative statements, that's all most see.

Towards the end he writes:
The reason Iron Man fell to Earth, however, is that reality overtook the hype. He dazzled investors with an image of mass produced Teslas which so far remains a mirage. Maybe Musk can yet make it real – the jury is out.

People - even reporters writing about Tesla - don't seem to understand how many Model 3s Tesla is cranking out. In just the first quarter, Model 3:
- was the highest-selling EV in the US by a large margin
- sold 2X the Bolt (and 3X more recently) in the US
- outsold direct ICE competitors from Mercedes and BMW in California
The average weekly production in second quarter will be at least 3x that level. And just wait until they open the floodgates in July after hitting the 200,000 mark.

People's heads are going to explode when they see them all over, especially around late summer when the Ps and AWDs start showing up in volume in a lot of places with snow in winter (like Boston area where I am) that haven't seen as many of the RWDs.

More negatively cast articles. Dana Hull of Bloomberg used to be balanced but since the cash burn piece last month I lost faith in her. Today’s piece on the layoffs perpetuates the negative slant.

Musk’s Model 3 Miscalculation Culminates in Major Tesla Job Cuts

Quartz has run at least two articles that have litttle or nothing to do with crashes yet lead with the same photo of a burnt-out Model S in Switzerland.

I think once Jaguar, Porsche and VW start rolling out their electric cars Tesla won't stand a chance. The main reason they have done so well is that their customer base is relatively small and they didn't have competition in this area. If the M3's have as many issues as many owners of the MS and MX have had they won't be able to keep up with the repair costs. Tesla has been cut some major slack by it's buyers because they were a new company and pretty exclusive. Once people have a choice other than Tesla I feel they will lose quite a bit of business. Telsa fans can argue this as much as they want but just watch and see.

Tesl won’t stand a chance? Please. Even the iPace can’t match the Tesla of today.

I think once Jaguar, Porsche and VW start rolling out their electric cars Tesla won't stand a chance. The main reason they have done so well is that their customer base is relatively small and they didn't have competition in this area. If the M3's have as many issues as many owners of the MS and MX have had they won't be able to keep up with the repair costs. Tesla has been cut some major slack by it's buyers because they were a new company and pretty exclusive. Once people have a choice other than Tesla I feel they will lose quite a bit of business. Telsa fans can argue this as much as they want but just watch and see.

One company owns the gas station.

Nobody is taking their Porsche or Jag cross country and running an extension cord for 8 hours of 20% charge.

Fallacy thais those behind the 8 ball magically are in front of it without effort.

And moreover, this *sugar* hasn’t even hit the market yet despite the capital differences.

Dillusion.

Next.