Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when people here start posting about getting upgrades you'll call them all liars? Seriously? Some people....

No. I will try and find out when they paid for FSD or if they’re an employee or someone with a big social media presence, to see if Tesla is doing things with any sort of method or if it’s the usual chaotic haphazard foolishness.

But until my car gets upgraded, I’m not going to believe they’ll actually do it.

How is this different from being a patiently waiting AP2.5 owner? The promises are identical. And no distinction has ever been made as to whether you purchased at order time or otherwise.
Other than the fact that 1) if you purchased FSD at order time of a HW2 vehicle you've waited longer and 2) that there are significant differences in the upgrade ease for HW2 and HW2.5, your rhetorical question is a pretty solid argument that "if time didn't exist and if different things were the same, then things would be different."

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
No. I will try and find out when they paid for FSD or if they’re an employee or someone with a big social media presence, to see if Tesla is doing things with any sort of method or if it’s the usual chaotic haphazard foolishness.

But until my car gets upgraded, I’m not going to believe they’ll actually do it.
I'm truly surprised you are willing to drive a Tesla if you trust them that little. You do realize they know who you are and where you live, right? They might put gremlins in your software. They could leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. They could autonomously drive you to your doom and leave no trace. Nobody would ever know.

I can see you've thought it through very clearly.

• Informative
Reactions: run-the-joules
I'm truly surprised you are willing to drive a Tesla if you trust them that little. You do realize they know who you are and where you live, right? They might put gremlins in your software. They could leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. They could autonomously drive you to your doom and leave no trace. Nobody would ever know.

I can see you've thought it through very clearly.

Don't be obtuse.

I like the car. I dislike the lies and lack of transparency from the company.

This has been a quote that has been common in Tesla related user groups and Reddit/forums for many years now. More and more people seem to subscribe to that thinking.

Can’t blame them. There is a lot to appreciate in the BEV revolution Tesla helped to the world but darn the company has gotten terrible in recent years.

Over on the Model X side there is a comment from a tech that while the HW3 hardware replacement on AP2.5 cars takes ”5-10 minutes”... and as expected, the software change takes half a day currently.

Retro fit AP 2.5 to 3.0 is starting to happen

Also as expected, the first retrofit known went to a social media influencer as a ”surprise” (only available by invitation so far)... and an AP2.5 car. This is the easiest and most lucrative scenario for Tesla. Little cost and work, lots of publicity.

No surprise so far. But I will still say it is still good to see that much, because we all knew these realities would be the first steps anyway. When that volume AP2 retrofitting starts, where it all takes under 30 minutes, now that is a different question. And how will they solve those mass-volume, water-cooled Model 3 retrofits.

Looking forward to my end of the year invite and Early Access any day now.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: conman
Don't be obtuse.
Oh, I'm not obtuse. I just lack patience for this brand of disingenuous foolishness.

If you don't trust the company, you obviously shouldn't be driving a car that they control. Giving best estimates and being wrong is not lying. All you'll ever get from Musk is best estimates on what he is currently planning, which is more transparency than you'll get from most companies. But of course he changes his plans regularly. That's one of his strengths. If you don't like that, don't eat their cooking. It's really not hard. Constantly complaining that they don't plan accurately years in advance is just tiresome.

Giving best estimates and being wrong is not lying.

Explicitly saying a person will get something, and then not giving them that thing when it is within your power to do so? That is lying.

Explicitly saying something will happen, and then that thing not happening when it is within your power to do so? Also lying.

All you'll ever get from Musk is best estimates on what he is currently planning, which is more transparency than you'll get from most companies. But of course he changes his plans regularly. That's one of his strengths. If you don't like that, don't eat their cooking. It's really not hard. Constantly complaining that they don't plan accurately years in advance is just tiresome.

Lol ok. Well here’s the thing: I bought the car before I understood that they have an honesty problem. I’d still have bought the car but I would not have bought FSD.

Hopefully, my complaining that they are a bunch of hoodwinking asshats saves others from the frustration that I’ve gone through: if you like what the car does RIGHT NOW, buy it. Never believe any promises about what it’ll do in the future.

The apologists and cultish fanboys are so tiresome. I’m sure you people are tired of those of us who are sick of the BS, so let’s just ignore each other.

This has been a quote that has been common in Tesla related user groups and Reddit/forums for many years now. More and more people seem to subscribe to that thinking.

Can’t blame them. There is a lot to appreciate in the BEV revolution Tesla helped to the world but darn the company has gotten terrible in recent years.

I’m really looking forward to seeing the competition’s offerings when it comes time to replace my model 3. The Taycan is a huge disappointment so that’s off my list, but maybe one of the upcoming Audis or VWs will hit the right notes.

It’s incredibly frustrating to have to decide between inferior autonomy and range from other companies, or inferior creature comforts and support from Tesla... but maybe the other companies can learn. Or maybe Tesla can get their crap together and fix their honesty issues and also offer better seats. Time will tell I guess.

It’s incredibly frustrating to have to decide between inferior autonomy and range from other companies, or inferior creature comforts and support from Tesla... but maybe the other companies can learn. Or maybe Tesla can get their crap together and fix their honesty issues and also offer better seats. Time will tell I guess.

Honestly, I would put better odds at Tesla fixing their issues before the other auto makers fix their issues. The other auto makers just seem pretty slow. Plus, I get the impression that autonomy and range are not really high priorities for the other auto makers. They could offer more range in their EVs but they don't. And they could offer better autonomous driving capabilities but they don't. I think a big reason for this is because they are looking at EVs through the same lenses of what sold traditional gas cars, things like interior luxury and creature comforts. In other words, the traditional auto makers are making the same cars as before, just with an electric power train instead of a gas engine.

Reactions: pilotSteve and Octo
thats my understanding. I think this priority is to employees first to gauge/refine the process of the retrofit service before expanding to all the FSD purchasers. Tech today said it doesn’t require a full tear down of the dash like the screen replacement. But caveated he hasn’t done it yet. Wouldn’t get too excited that it’s coming within the next few weeks, but does make it look promising that it is en route.
There is a story on Reddit that someone's X got upgraded to HW3 when they were in service on an unrelated issue.

Sofiaan Fraval on Twitter

It makes sense that when a car is in service and FSD computer is accessible, they replace it.

Reactions: diplomat33
I’m really looking forward to seeing the competition’s offerings when it comes time to replace my model 3. The Taycan is a huge disappointment so that’s off my list, but maybe one of the upcoming Audis or VWs will hit the right notes.
If you were in to replacing your old Prius - the only competitive offering was the newer Prius for over a decade, despite numerous "Prius killers".

Finally it turns out, Model 3 was the real Prius killer.