Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At Y reveal Musk said that AP will be feature complete with software updates alone. This tells me that introducing HW3 is not a priority for them right now.

Except for the fact he said on multiple earnings calls / podcasts / tweets that HW3 is needed to resolve the AP / FSD problem because they simply don't have the processing power necessary to do it.

Reactions: croman
Except for the fact he said on multiple earnings calls / podcasts / tweets that HW3 is needed to resolve the AP / FSD problem because they simply don't have the processing power necessary to do it.

Can you please repeat that in a Scottish accent?

(For my own curiosity, did he say it was impossible, or just more trouble/ optimization than it was worth?)

Elon said that HW3 speeds up the development and requires much less optimization than 2.5 would require. See podcast interview by ARC Invest.

I do not recall him ever saying that HW3 is a must.

Reactions: EinSV
Reactions: BigD0g
I really hope Tesla has a grand plan for us 2.0 FSD-pre-paid at purchase car owners. If that grand plan means we ultimately get a new car then fine. Otherwise if there is no plan I will not sit idly by on this one, like I did with AP1, nor will I be part of any class action lawsuit either. I will get what I agreed to even if I have to fight the very company I truly want to succeed. Elon, his tweets, his phone calls, his public talks, podcasts.... basically untethered has really created a dilemma and a quagmire for Tesla.

I have sent many emails, made many phone calls, publicly tweeted since Elon likes that kind of communication, and all I have had in return is crickets chirping. All I have asked for is a written documented plan for those that, in good faith, purchased a HW2.0 car and pre-paid for FSD when purchased.

Tesla / Elon knows what is happening on the backside.
1: Set a date for those of us with HW2.0 with FSD paid for 2+ years ago to have HW3 installed on our cars. (As stated a multitude of time by Elon and apparently available within weeks according to Elon)
2: Make us part of the Early Access Program for testing and reporting on HW3/FSD as publicly announced by Tesla on their blog March 6, 2019
3: Change your stance on communication with your most loyal and highest cash margin product purchasing customers, early supporters, from a blackhole to a flow of information.
4: If there is indeed no way a HW2.0 car can be fitted with the required hardware to fulfill a written and agreed to contract then swap our cars out with a new car that is.
I really hope Tesla has a grand plan for us 2.0 FSD-pre-paid at purchase car owners. If that grand plan means we ultimately get a new car then fine. Otherwise if there is no plan I will not sit idly by on this one, like I did with AP1, nor will I be part of any class action lawsuit either. I will get what I agreed to even if I have to fight the very company I truly want to succeed. Elon, his tweets, his phone calls, his public talks, podcasts.... basically untethered has really created a dilemma and a quagmire for Tesla.

I have sent many emails, made many phone calls, publicly tweeted since Elon likes that kind of communication, and all I have had in return is crickets chirping. All I have asked for is a written documented plan for those that, in good faith, purchased a HW2.0 car and pre-paid for FSD when purchased.

1: Set a date for those of us with HW2.0 with FSD paid for 2+ years ago to have HW3 installed on our cars. (As stated a multitude of time by Elon and apparently available within weeks according to Elon)
2: Make us part of the Early Access Program for testing and reporting on HW3/FSD as publicly announced by Tesla on their blog March 6, 2019
3: Change your stance on communication with your most loyal and highest cash margin product purchasing customers, early supporters, from a blackhole to a flow of information.
4: If there is indeed no way a HW2.0 car can be fitted with the required hardware to fulfill a written and agreed to contract then swap our cars out with a new car that is.

I totally agree. I have been told multiple times, via email with support, that the plan has not been finalized. Every time a new feature comes out and it HW 2.5 or later, I make sure my voice is heard. No $55 check is going to make this go away. I want what I was paid for in Aug 2017 on HW 2.0, EAP.

The check was for missing features during early AP2 roll out. (Technically, by being in the settlement, you did go away in terms of what that settlement covered)

I think you are seeing what you want to see. I don't see "there will be no retrofits" in what I posted. I just see "we are currently testing our FSD software on our current hardware, AP2/2.5". You are extrapolating from that what you think Tesla will do in the future.

I think it is actually a win win for us. If the FSD package of features works on AP2/2.5 then we all get the FSD features without an upgrade and Tesla kept its promise to give us the FSD features on our current hardware. And if AP3 is required, we get the hardware upgrade.
In looking at this from a "what the hell could their goal be" point of view, I suspect that this is about getting the EAP datapoints required for FSD. Making it more affordable helps get data, and that helps the near infinite amount of "fixes" required for the huge calculations that FSD will presumably require. If the new hardware is still under design (no pressure, Elon), then this may be a part of figuring out the requirements needed. Just my guess.

In looking at this from a "what the hell could their goal be" point of view, I suspect that this is about getting the EAP datapoints required for FSD. Making it more affordable helps get data, and that helps the near infinite amount of "fixes" required for the huge calculations that FSD will presumably require. If the new hardware is still under design (no pressure, Elon), then this may be a part of figuring out the requirements needed. Just my guess.

The best policy is to quickly move onto the new platform of Tesla's own, even if the new hardware does not live up to the spec and requires some lousy software workarounds or its own revisions.

I'm happy with my EAP. Does everything I would trust a car to do. I think FSD would make you pay more attention to driving in the city to make sure the car follows all the DMV rules and does not crash and hurt anyone. The car is not responsible for its actions. The driver is and would be the one in the law suit. Besides, I enjoy driving my M3.

Reactions: Kant.Ing