Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot is too strict on rules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't why Tesla autopilot is so strict about the tapping wheel rule to prove you're awake. It seems to the point that you can't really enjoy autopilot. Why not every 3-5 minutes if you consistently have good behavior, like always tapping the wheel on time.

It seems like less than one minute before you have to prove you're paying attention. Like I see it, but I don't always wanna tap the wheel. Plus I feel tapping the wheel is kind of dangerous to do all the time, like what if you accidentality disengage autopilot because you tapped too hard.

I feel it should just be less often and have more time between each blue light / tap the wheel thing. Or maybe have part of the wheel be touch sensor where you tap that instead of tugging at the wheel. I really hate tugging at the wheel.

...tapping...tugging at the wheel...
That's the wrong way to use Tesla driving automation.

In the early days, Autosteer can suddenly swerve the wrong way at the least expected time. The trick is how to correct it timely and effortlessly. Thus, I constantly let the gravity to pull down my hand/arm to create a countertorque. That's how I can feel how well or how wrong the Autosteer is so that I can override it instantly.

I've driven very long trips: San Diego, Las Vegas, Sacramento, San Francisco radius and it's very relaxing.

Or maybe have part of the wheel be touch sensor where you tap that instead of tugging at the wheel. I really hate tugging at the wheel.
You can also move one of the scroll wheels to let it know you're there. I usually adjust the volume control rather than the speed control. Given how many people abuse the intent of Autopilot, I think the check-in interval is appropriate. The car is not as good a driver as you seem to think if you're willing to let it go 3-5 minutes.

That's the wrong way to use Tesla driving automation.

In the early days, Autosteer can suddenly swerve the wrong way at the least expected time. The trick is how to correct it timely and effortlessly. Thus, I constantly let the gravity to pull down my hand/arm to create a countertorque. That's how I can feel how well or how wrong the Autosteer is so that I can override it instantly.

I've driven very long trips: San Diego, Las Vegas, Sacramento, San Francisco radius and it's very relaxing.
I agree with @JetFalcon - Like @ZilWin I must have too light of a touch - I’ve even had autopilot put me in timeout while my hand is on the wheel. On a recent trip it was nagging me every 10 seconds. Normally I sit with my hands on my knees, right next to the wheel, watching the road so I can take control but with the latest releases AP has just gotten annoying and anythign but relaxing. I was so stressed about making sure I moved the steering wheel enough so the system wouldn’t get mad at me that I ended up turning AP off for a while and could suddenly understand why people would defeat the safety measures.

There’s a phenomenon called alarm fatigue where an alarm that is too sensitive and constantly going off becomes useless because people tune it out or disable it. Tesla Is approaching that.

...making sure I moved the steering wheel enough so the system wouldn’t get mad at me...
That's the wrong way to use your autopilot. If you have to nudge, move, wiggle, or do something with the steering every now and then, then that's the wrong way. If you have to monitor the Autopilot nagging message/light/noise, that's the wrong way.

The right way is to apply a continuous counter-torque on the steering wheel. I can feel the torque continuously and the system can continuously feel my counter-torque so I seldom get any nagging message/light/noise in a 3 to 5-hour long trip.

Using my own muscle to continuously apply a continuous counter-torque can be very tiring so I let the gravity pull down my arm/hand to create that continuous force.

Again, I've done this for the past 4 years since 2017 on very long trips and it's very relaxing. There's no alarm fatigue because there has been no nagging message/light/noise unless when I take my arms off the wheel to do something else.

That's the wrong way to use your autopilot. If you have to nudge, move, wiggle, or do something with the steering every now and then, then that's the wrong way. If you have to monitor the Autopilot nagging message/light/noise, that's the wrong way.

The right way is to apply a continuous counter-torque on the steering wheel. I can feel the torque continuously and the system can continuously feel my counter-torque so I seldom get any nagging message/light/noise in a 3 to 5-hour long trip.

Using my own muscle to continuously apply a continuous counter-torque can be very tiring so I let the gravity pull down my arm/hand to create that continuous force.

Again, I've done this for the past 4 years since 2017 on very long trips and it's very relaxing. There's no alarm fatigue because there has been no nagging message/light/noise unless when I take my arms off the wheel to do something else.
Another way of thinking about this is that you want to feel the road.

The only time ended up in Autopilot jail was when I punched the accelerator too hard (to get out of a potential issue) and went past 90 mph .

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
don't (know) why Tesla autopilot is so strict about the tapping…
Because jerks like to fool around in these cars (not holding the wheel, texting, watching video screen, etc.,). Some will always opt to the least about of driver intersection, so, presumably, Tesla wants a higher degree of compliance. In a perfect world everyone would drive safely, but since that ain’t gunan happen, this is a small price to pay.

Another way of thinking about this is that you want to feel the road.

The only time ended up in Autopilot jail was when I punched the accelerator too hard (to get out of a potential issue) and went past 90 mph .
I've had that happen to. Well past 90 mph LOL

I have a cross country trip planned in 2 weeks so maybe I'll develop better 'technique' during that 6000 miles.

I don't why Tesla autopilot is so strict about the tapping wheel rule to prove you're awake. It seems to the point that you can't really enjoy autopilot. Why not every 3-5 minutes if you consistently have good behavior, like always tapping the wheel on time.

It seems like less than one minute before you have to prove you're paying attention. Like I see it, but I don't always wanna tap the wheel. Plus I feel tapping the wheel is kind of dangerous to do all the time, like what if you accidentality disengage autopilot because you tapped too hard.

I feel it should just be less often and have more time between each blue light / tap the wheel thing. Or maybe have part of the wheel be touch sensor where you tap that instead of tugging at the wheel. I really hate tugging at the wheel.

3-5 minutes is too long. Too much can happen in that time if you are not paying attention. There have been several fatalities where the driver was not paying for a just a few seconds and sadly, it resulted in a crash.

Reactions: KerryOH
've had that happen to. Well past 90 mph
90?? I get in the penalty box at 80!
I'm a Model 3 2021 camera only... how do I get it higher??
I'm not a lead foot, but at highway speed, moving ahead to pass will take me >80
Is there anything to adjust? 2021.4.21.3
There have been several fatalities where the driver was not paying for a just a few seconds and sadly, it resulted in a crash
Including folks who, incredulously, rammed into parked fire engines.
I hope NHTSA announces whether or not driver had hands on wheel, and whether they were looking at the road ahead, at the time of crash. I know they wont,

I don't know for sure, but it seems the "nag" occurs at different intervals depending on the car's confidence in the current conditions. I understand and support the effort to ensure driver awareness. I'm hoping the cabin camera will replace the steering wheel tug before too long.

I'm hoping the cabin camera will replace the steering wheel tug before too long
Respectfully disagree.
Drivers are a$$ h0les, and will go out of their way to cheat the system.
Every crash proves drivers are their own worst enemy
I don't want to make it easier for them to cause mayhem on the road.
Driving is a privilege, not a right.
Holding the wheel is a very small price to pay.
I say both

If anyone has a problem with the burden of actually having to hold the wheel, well, they should just call Uber or let someone else drive

IMHO

90?? I get in the penalty box at 80!
I'm a Model 3 2021 camera only... how do I get it higher??
I'm not a lead foot, but at highway speed, moving ahead to pass will take me >80
Is there anything to adjust? 2021.4.21.3

Including folks who, incredulously, rammed into parked fire engines.
I hope NHTSA announces whether or not driver had hands on wheel, and whether they were looking at the road ahead, at the time of crash. I know they wont,
LOL Honestly, I don't know what the speed was when Tesla decided I was unworthy. The car gets from 75 to triple digits quickly and I am not looking at the screen when performing those maneuvers. The result is the 'Autodrive suspended for the rest of the trip" message. I too have a MAY21 Model 3 Teslavision only, car. Regardless, it's nice to drive a car that does what you ask it to when you need it to.

I don't know what the speed was ...
I'll bet it was 80. I think it was 75 originally and they're probably walking it up as the fleet racks up more miles

it's nice to drive a car that does what you ask it to when you need it to.
Have you ...
  • ever tried Summon/Smart Summon (after waiting 45 seconds for it to become available)?
  • ever gotten a screen crash (while driving)?
  • ever try to push the left stalk forward to turn on the bright lights, (when lights are set to Auto) with the car driving below 30 MPH? Pushing stalk forward doesn't do anything until you speed up

I love the car, but, it's a public beta

Last edited:

I've tried that and I end up either putting too much torque on the wheel and cancelling autopilot or not enough and having the system nag at me. Maybe my arms are too fat and heavy, but I don't think so. I've also tried just holding with my fingers with my hands resting on my knees and then my fingers get tired (or don't put enough torque.)

honestly, constantly having to think about how much torque I'm putting on the wheel is quite the nuisance, especially since the amount of torque tends to change based on the degree of turning.

I've tried that and I end up either putting too much torque on the wheel and cancelling autopilot or not enough and having the system nag at me...

I don't deny that it doesn't work for you.

It did not work for me initially either when I first picked up my Model X from the Fremont factory.

Within that 200-mile first trip to drive home from the delivery, I gradually figured out just the right way to feel the torque without the need for monitoring the alarms/nagging light/message.

I wouldn't call myself thin with the weight of 175 lbs while my big belly can hardly fit 32" pants but I can create a continuous counter-torque with the help of gravity pulling down my arm/hand on the steering wheel without accidentally disengaging the AutoSteer.

That has worked well with both my 2017 Model X and 2018 Model 3 although Model 3 needs less force than Model X.

In summary, if it doesn't work for you, keep trying: You'll be able to figure out how to apply continuous counter-torque.

Reactions: arnolddeleon
Normally I sit with my hands on my knees, right next to the wheel,
You are the reason why regulators are trying to apply further limitations to driver assist technology and ruining it for everyone else.

Your hand needs to be on the wheel because one day the car will mis-read the lane markings and do something stupid, and you won't be able to react in time.