Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla backed my inventory P85D into a pole 5 minutes before delivery.. :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are people debating new versus inventory? There's a word for Tesla cars that were showroom, floor models etc but never sold to consumers - that word is "Inventory."

The whole point of this thread was to ask the community to "assess resell devaluation damages" on this car. A few of you brought up good points and I appreciate your feedback, but this thread is now over 15 pages of debate about the word new versus inventory.

Many forum members here need to step up their Tesla game and focus ONLY on the OP's topic instead of filling up pages with your random blatherings.

Last edited:
Why are people debating new versus inventory? There's a word for Tesla cars that were showroom, floor models etc but never sold to consumers - that word is "Inventory."

The whole point of this thread was to ask the community to "assess resell devaluation damages" on this car. A few of you brought up good points and I appreciate your feedback, but this thread is now over 15 pages of debate about the word new versus inventory.

Many forum members here need to step up their Tesla game and focus ONLY on the OP's topic instead of filling up pages with your random blatherings.

I'm starting to see your problem.

First of all, there are not 'over 15 pages of debate about the word new versus inventory'. Secondly, the community has given you plenty of feedback on your question. And last, as pointed out by others ... you don't get to dictate the conversation.

To the rest of you... blather on!

Discount and miles does not mean it isn't new. For titling purposes, the car is brand new. If it weren't, it would not qualify for federal tax credits and state rebates. In Arizona, the buyer of an inventory car would have to pay sales tax because it is being titled as a new car, whereas the buyer of a CPO car would not pay sales tax because a CPO was previously titled, and therefore, is considered a used vehicle.
I think inventory is somewhere between new and used. I work in another industry that sells "demo" units of electronics which are basically like the inventory cars here. It would be fraud to sell them as new (because they aren't), but they have the same factory warranty as a new one, but with extra discounts because it had been used by the manufacturer for demonstration purposes. They aren't sold as used items either, but something in between.

One important legal question .. What if they claim I took delivery of the car? I don't think they will say this because I was on my way to take delivery when the accident occured. However, can someone back me up on the legal side? I put in a wire transfer to Tesla... So they have my money now :/. I'm seriously considering not taking delivery and getting a full refund.

One important legal question .. What if they claim I took delivery of the car? I don't think they will say this because I was on my way to take delivery when the accident occured. However, can someone back me up on the legal side? I put in a wire transfer to Tesla... So they have my money now :/. I'm seriously considering not taking delivery and getting a full refund.

IANAL, but it clearly seems to me given what we've heard that you have no yet taken possession of the car, and they should, it seems to me, have no problem with you refusing the car at this point.

The fact that they have your money gives them a tiny bit of leverage, but the fact that they would definitely want to avoid a "they stole my money" claim far outweighs any leverage from holding the funds.

You either signed all the final documents in person when picking up the vehicle, or you didn't. Pretty straightforward. Assuming you didn't, there is nothing they can do.

. Plus, what you don't know, doesn't hurt you, so I find also find this section morally and ethically acceptable.

Wait, what?? I must not be understanding you here. But it seems like you are saying its ok for someone (dealer, private individual - it doesn't matter) to represent that a car is "new" and has never been wrecked when in fact it has? Because if they don't know, it doesn't hurt them? Please tell me you don't mean that.

Now we are playing the "what if?" game.

OP and Tesla need to work this out. Forum only has some sketchy information, that is not crystal clear.

Buyer and manufacturer should work this out in private with the results being confidential.

Rampant speculation is fun on the forum, but could interfere with an amical resolution.

Maybe OP is making more of this than necessary. Might be putting Tesla into a bad spot.

This kind of stuff must happen from time to time with thousands of cars being transported at any time.

Might be time to turn down the emotion and drama instead of whipping it up.

So I spoke to the regional manager and they offered me 2 years of service (value of $1200) and a rental car for the 3+ weeks until it's repaired.. I'm not at all happy with this compensation, considering the resale value on a car that has been in accident is going to drop the value significantly more than $1200. For those people who say it may not be on Carfax and therefore I don't have to disclose it to the person I'd later sell it to, let me tell you that's very unethical. If you were the one I sold it to in a few years, you would want to know that the car had the entire rear fender and trunk replaced. They did offer to give me an Enterprise rental car in the meantime while the car is getting fixed (they said there are no available Tesla's they can let me use).

Overall I'm completely pissed. I've heard some people in this forum say if I got a t-shirt I should be happy, but obviously this situation did not happen to you.

PS. This car cost me over $130,000 for an 'inventory' car! (incl. taxes).

Have you asked for all your money back? I didn't realize you had paid for the car in full (if I read that right - you wired them the whole amount I think?) Did you press the button saying "Accept Delivery"? I hope not, and I hope you just tell them to refund your money. Its clear to me you'll never be happy with this car, and starting out what should be a long happy relationship on this note seems a mistake.

So I spoke to the regional manager and they offered me 2 years of service (value of $1200) and a rental car for the 3+ weeks until it's repaired.. I'm not at all happy with this compensation...
Overall I'm completely pissed.
What an amazing statement. The car has cost you NOTHING except for some of your time. Sounds to me like Tesla made a good offer to try to make you happy. I would be thrilled if I was in your position. Obviously you disagree. So move on and look for another Model S. Or don't.

Now we are playing the "what if?" game.

OP and Tesla need to work this out. Forum only has some sketchy information, that is not crystal clear.

Buyer and manufacturer should work this out in private with the results being confidential.

Rampant speculation is fun on the forum, but could interfere with an amical resolution.

Maybe OP is making more of this than necessary. Might be putting Tesla into a bad spot.

This kind of stuff must happen from time to time with thousands of cars being transported at any time.

Might be time to turn down the emotion and drama instead of whipping it up.

There's little drama here. I'm making a $130,000 decision tomorrow and I wanted to collect the wisdom of the forum. I appreciate the feedback and it certainly will be helpful in my final decision. Please also realize I've never owned a Tesla and I'm not familiar with depreciation issues caused by CarFax / replacement parts.

There's little drama here. I'm making a $130,000 decision tomorrow and I wanted to collect the wisdom of the forum. I appreciate the feedback and it certainly will be helpful in my final decision. Please also realize I've never owned a Tesla and I'm not familiar with depreciation issues caused by CarFax / replacement parts.
You still have not made up your mind?
I hope you decide not to get this particular car, I think this whole process has tainted the fun experience you'd normally get from the car.

There are more inventory models that will come online as the fleet of inventory (test drive) cars ages over the next few months.

I would decline the car and move on. I'm sure this worry won't go away once you get the car so best to start over with a new inventory car or order a custom build.

Yes. For titling purposes is it new. After how many hundreds or thousands of miles is a car no longer considered new to the average buyer though? I'd guess that most wouldn't consider a car sitting on a dealership lot with 1 or 2 thousand miles to be a 'new' car even if it had never been titled before.

I used to buy dealer demonstrators on a regular basis (I've purchased 3 over the past 20 years) because of the immense deal you could get on them, and generally the owner of the dealership isn't some crazy rental car abusing nutcase. My Suburban came with 6,000 miles and I considered it a 'new' car, given the way they babied it.

Kingside,

The compensation offer is just good customer service, but it's not perfect. It comes pretty close though. No other car company would do that for a customer so you're already off to a good start.

I'd pass on the car and take delivery of an undamaged one. I know the waiting sucks, but you won't regret it when you get into your brand new $130,000 purchase. That damage just looks painful and it will eat away at your mind for as long as you own the car. Let someone more impulsive than you go for that inventory car.

If you're a bargain shopper ... wait a minute, you're buying a P85D at $130,000. You're not a coupon clipper. Stop cheaping out. :) Get what you want be comfortable with it.

- K

Last edited:
Wait, what?? I must not be understanding you here. But it seems like you are saying its ok for someone (dealer, private individual - it doesn't matter) to represent that a car is "new" and has never been wrecked when in fact it has? Because if they don't know, it doesn't hurt them? Please tell me you don't mean that.

Of course I didn't say that. Now you're putting words in my mouth. The issue is: Where do we draw the line regarding a dealer disclosing damage to a new vehicle (i.e. amount, bumper excluded if replaced with new OEM, etc., etc.)? I have referenced the BC and CA legislation on this issue and I said I agree with it. Before any legislation is passed, it starts as a Bill and is debated then passed. That usually provides a good failsafe. (Lobbyists and special interests have me bite my tongue or I would say this is a good procedure without biting it.) In any event, I said I agreed where the legislators drew the line and gave the reasons for same. I never referenced private sales at all. That's a whole other issue, also governed by legislation. If you don't agree with the legislation, that's fine, but please tell me why you disagree, rather than just attacking me. I trust you agree a line must be drawn somewhere?

Kingside said:
What an amazing statement. The car has cost you NOTHING except for some of your time.

+1. My sentiments exactly.

I think you owe the OP an apology.

Obviously he was on his way to pick up the car and thus had already wired the money to Tesla prior to the accident happening.

He is out of that money until this resolves at the very least. And if he decides to keep the car, that is the cost - that has already happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, what? It's NOT 'your car'. You didn't buy it. How can you be 'completely pissed' over something that isn't even yours?

You can choose to buy it or find another inventory car. Tesla didn't have to offer you anything. You don't have to buy it. And saying 'this car cost me over $130,000'? What? You haven't taken delivery. What exactly has it cost you?

Semantics. The guy had made the commitment to buy this car, Tesla had made the commitment to sell the car, and the $130,000 had been wired to Tesla, he was minutes from picking it up. In all likelihood the guy can back out from the deal (we don't have confirmation of that, but I expect that Tesla will honor such a choice) but it was his car he was on his way to pick up, paid and bought. I agree title and custody of the car has not been transferred and that the deal may still be called off, but these attacks on the OP on mere semantics are totally unnecessary. It was his car that was in the hands of Tesla and wrecked on delivery. Surely he can be 'completely pissed' if he wants to. Nobody is claiming Tesla wrecked it on purpose, although negligence can't be ruled out.

FYI - I bought a Roadster for far more $ than you're fussing about & all I got was a Roadster and a keychain. (totally worth it, btw)

Unless your Roadster was banged into a pole 10 minutes prior to pick-up, that is quite irrelevant. Also, personal finances dictate a subjective meaning on price. And objectively, I think we can all agree both a discounted P85D and a Tesla Roadster are expensive cars.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the $1,200 service compensation from Tesla (which of course isn't worth $1,200 to them in literal terms which is probably why they offered it, real cost probably $600), I have no problem with that. I think it is not good nor bad as a compensation offer, it is OK. OP then must decide what that is worth to them and will it compensate for the potential loss of value on the vehicle.

One more thing I think plays into this: How long is the owner planning to keep the car? If merely for some months, year or two max, and his car history is of perfect specimens and no accidents, car polished regularly in a warm garage it remains much of the time, then such a loss of value might be greater (at the eyes of an equally discerning buyer anyway).

If on the other hand, he intends to drive the P85D for 5+ years, maybe on dirt roads and under a winter sky, the likelihood of such an old incident mattering significantly in the value goes down in my opinion. During a long ownership, cars usually receive some bangs and fixes, wear and tear anyway and it comes with the territory of buying higher-mileage used cars.

As many have said, only OP can make the call of course, on their personal merits.

Last edited: