Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it really? Any Tesla, other than the original Roadster, can now use the EA network. If anything I think it would put more pressure on Tesla to release a CCS adapter.
Hey if Tesla builds a CCS adapter I will be one of the first to buy one.

I think that the pressure will come when Bollinger and Rivian are in production (hopefully soon) and they can charge up at the EA network at full charge speed. My CHAdeMO adapter does work on the EA network but it's limited to 50 kW as you know, so that is something that could be improved upon.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Nissan Leaf buyers, dealers worry about replacing worn-out cells

1) Health of the battery is the number one concern of shoppers for used LEAFs

2) LEAF 1.0 battery issues hurting used car prices and projected residuals on new LEAF leases.

3) Discusses viability of bringing replacement pack program from Japan to US.

4) Wrongly asserts LEAF issues will affect all BEVs, including Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Nissan Leaf buyers, dealers worry about replacing worn-out cells

1) Health of the battery is the number one concern of shoppers for used LEAFs

2) LEAF 1.0 battery issues hurting used car prices and projected residuals on new LEAF leases.

3) Discusses viability of bringing replacement pack program from Japan to US.

4) Wrongly asserts LEAF issues will affect all BEVs, including Tesla.
Can’t belive they didn’t disclose the fact that Nissan chose to forgo a TMS . That article is biased against ev’s And it’s obvious but only to those in the know.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
The resale value on these things is rough.

View attachment 436297

Update. Still falling.

D4C8EF5F-520B-4D4B-B4D4-1B0FADD112BC.png

• Funny
Reactions: willow_hiller
Some improvements could be perceived as negative by certain customers. And as your car gets older, the support for it starts to go away. i.e. you dont get all the latest features even if you have the hardware.
So customers expect free hardware upgrades on older cars? What other OEM even provides constant software upgrades to older vehicles?

Tesla doesn't stop improving the cars, so no worry there. I'll be interested to see what the Taycan's actual battery limitations are and how it compares to a Model 3P on the track.
While the M3P is better than most gas cars on the track, I believe it could be even better - if Tesla wanted to. I think the Taycan will give them the motivation to work towards that goal.

Reactions: afadeev
This is more about the state of the German industry than any specific car, but it's an interesting look at where German thinking is about cars right now. It appears to have originally been done in German, but dubbed into English:

It sounds like many in Germany are stuck in the same place as many in the US about the changes coming to the car industry.

Do they? A Tesla will charge at a far higher rate than a Taycan and the Model S just crushed their lap time in Germany. Am I misinterpreting this post?

No, it was a prototype with a new powertrain thats not the same powertrain available today.

I do wish Tesla would have brought a present Raven Model S Performance to the Ring and timed it. Why they didn't is up to speculation.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
I'm glad you asked. There are two main differences:

1. X3 is 9" taller (66" vs. 57")
2. X3 has the SUV/CUV look (aka two-box shape)​

Ride height/seating position is important, but the look is what really matters. A look that conveys strength (aka safety) and rugged adventurism is paramount. All the other things people claim motivate SUV/CUV purchases - passenger seating, cargo space, handling, ease of ingress/egress, price, fuel economy and safety - are just rationalizations. Otherwise they'd buy minivans, which win by a landslide on all counts while offering the same ride height/seating position advantage.

So, let's estimate Model Y's market impact using my wildly popular Market Impact Score metric. SUV wannabes can score a maximum of 10 points on ride height and 20 points on rugged SUV look.

BMW X3 - 25 points. 10 for ride height + 15 for look (good 2-box shape, but more streamlined than rugged)
BMW 3 Series Hatchback - 2 points. Only 2 inches taller and looks almost identical to the base sedan
Tesla Model Y- 5 points. It's 5 inches taller, but also looks almost identical to the base sedan

So there you have it, scientific proof that Model Y's market impact will be a bit more than BMW's Series 3 Hatchback but much, much less than the X3 :)
Some of this may be true in America. Not in Europe.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark