Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Biden said it felt like 4.3-4.4s 0-60.

It looks like Ford blacked out/sealed the F-150 grill on the Lightning. Makes it look a lil CUVy KIA- eee.

Rachel Maddow dedicated the first segment of her show to the F-150 EV reveal tonight. She declared that Ford makes the case that EVs are not only better in some areas, but pretty much way better in just about all and it's over for ICE. I kind of thought Tesla had already made that case pretty clear, but in the end who cares who gets the credit as long as the message goes mainstream.

Rachel Maddow dedicated the first segment of her show to the F-150 EV reveal tonight. She declared that Ford makes the case that EVs are not only better in some areas, but pretty much way better in just about all and it's over for ICE. I kind of thought Tesla had already made that case pretty clear, but in the end who cares who gets the credit as long as the message goes mainstream.

So of the ~900k people that intend to buy or have bought an ICE F Series this year about 1k got that message from Rachel tonight?

• Funny
Reactions: alloverx
She herself said she's on her second F-150 and depending on the evening her show is sometimes the top viewed show on cable for the night. She's usually in the top 10 shows for a given night (about 3 million audience). Odds are that while there probably is not a great intersection between her audience and people who will be buying imminently, there are a lot of Ford truck owners in the US and there probably is a decent intersection between current Ford truck owners or those who have a close friend or relative who owns one and her audience.

Ownership is more common in suburbs and rural areas, but virtually everyone either owns a Ford truck or knows several people who do.

Her story was very favorable and might get some people who thought EVs were just eco-toys to think about EVs. She is very good at in depth reporting of stories. I thought she should have gotten an award for her reporting of the Deep Water Horizon. I knew a lot about what was going on because I learned a lot about oil drilling from my sister, but Maddow was the only reporter I read or saw who got all the facts straight.

My neighbor had to replace his work truck and ended up buying an ICE F-150, but when delivery was delayed because of the production problems he was going back and forth about getting an electric F-150. He is also watching and waiting on the Cybertruck. He took delivery of his ICE pickup last week, but I think if either the F-150 Lightning or the Cybertruck look good, he'll probably trade in his new truck. He said he puts about 50K miles a year on his trucks and he's in management for a commercial electrical contractor. Their biggest area of work right now is installing EV chargers.

He's primed to think about EVs, but a lot of truck owners haven't really thought seriously about them. Maddow made the point that people thought truck buyers would leave Ford when they went with aluminum bodies and they also thought they would leave when they introduced the hybrid F-150, but they found the Hybrid is very popular because it has an inverter and 120V plugs in the bed. She made the point that truck buyers tend to go with the new tech if it's better than the old tech and so far the F-150 Lightning looks better than the ICE F-150 in every way (except possibly refueling time). Something Tesla owners already know, but hard core truck fans haven't been sold yet.

She also made the point that if the best selling vehicle in North America for the last 42 years goes electric and proves itself as a better choice in just about every way, then it's over for ICE. I do think she has a point. This is selling the tech to a new audience who looked down on EVs until now.

So maybe ~1200 F Series people that have bought or will buy an F Series this year including Rachel herself?

Seriously, Rachel Maddow is nowhere near the mainstream. Even if she herself bought three F Series.

The US has a population of 331M. Her ~3M nightly viewers are nowhere near in the middle of that car purchasing population and less so from the truck buying population.

There are a few outliers. So I revise my estimate to 1200.

First EV to really nail the front end. Other designers should take notes.

<iframe src="IONIQ 5 ankomst.mp4 from Hyundai Motor Norway on Vimeo" width="640" height="338" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="
">IONIQ 5 ankomst.mp4</a> from <a href="Hyundai Motor Norway">Hyundai Motor Norway</a> on <a href="Vimeo | The world's only all-in-one video solution">Vimeo</a>.</p>
@Doggydogworld
why does it seem to have an unnecessary grill that spoils aerodynamics?
i am confused

Interesting take on the new F150, basically they should have made it a high performance sport truck like the original. Of course that would have made it even more expensive.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Interesting take on the new F150, basically they should have made it a high performance sport truck like the original. Of course that would have made it even more expensive.

I still think Ford is going to be able to sell every F150 Lightning they can make. But the remaining questions are:

1. Can they make enough to satisfy the demand they're generating by hyping up the truck?

2. If enough of Ford's customers are convinced they want their next truck to be electric, and Ford can't make enough Lightnings to remotely fill that demand (e.g. a multi-year waitlist), what do those customers do? Give up and buy another ICE F150 (even if Ford has convinced them that electric is superior in every way)? Wait diligently for the Lightning (even if they need a new truck now)? Buy a Cybertruck/Rivian?

Reactions: SmartElectric

That would be dumb.

Because it would put them in a numbers war with Tesla.

Best 0-60 and 1/4 mile time wins.

And Tesla ain't losing no numbers war.

2022 will be "limited production"

2023 will have capacity for 80k pickups but maybe 60k produced

2024 probably 80k delivered.

2025 Maybe Ford-SKI JV Gigafactory comes online and can deliver many more.
Goal is eventually 60 GWh. Needed to fully switch entire F-Series to electric maybe 200-250 GWh?

As numbers get bigger you want less a "sports truck" and more a bread & butter truck.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric

They probably will come out with a Raptor/Lightning version at some point, but by coming out with a regular work truck, they are doing two things
1) Normalizing EVs in the minds of the public. Ford sees the handwriting on the wall and they want to be ahead of full mass adoption. If they're seen as a leader (ie converting their biggest seller) early, they run a better chance of surviving.
2) About half the pickup market is end consumers and the other electric trucks are all targeting that market with the Cybertruck, Rivian, and Hummer, but at least half the pickup market is business and governments (every city and county has a fleet of work trucks). If consumers are slow to adopt the F-150 Lightning, fleet sales will be strong. Fleet buyers hold cost of ownership at the top of their decision making tree and EVs are cheaper to own.

I still think Ford is going to be able to sell every F150 Lightning they can make. But the remaining questions are:

1. Can they make enough to satisfy the demand they're generating by hyping up the truck?

2. If enough of Ford's customers are convinced they want their next truck to be electric, and Ford can't make enough Lightnings to remotely fill that demand (e.g. a multi-year waitlist), what do those customers do? Give up and buy another ICE F150 (even if Ford has convinced them that electric is superior in every way)? Wait diligently for the Lightning (even if they need a new truck now)? Buy a Cybertruck/Rivian?

The future of every EV hinges on how fast battery production can be expanded. Tesla was the first to act on this and will likely have a supply advantage for several years to come, but the rest of the industry is now beginning to throw resources into getting production up.

The biggest fear traditional automakers have is Osbourning themselves. That's one reason they have been reluctant to make EVs that are appealing outside the eco-buyer bubble up until now. If the bulk of buyers suddenly realizes that EVs are far better and won't buy new ICE, instead seeking out an EV that's available or sitting on their ICE longer until the EV they want is available, the traditional automakers are going to go bankrupt. If Ford has the capacity to build 100K Lightnings a year, and low demand for the legacy F series, Ford won't have the cash flow to complete the conversion of production to the Lightning.

If Tesla is geared up to make 500K Cybertrucks a year, they will get a lot of business from frustrated F series buyers who see a 3 year waiting list for a Lightning, but only a 3 month wait for a Cybertruck. Even if the buyer is more traditionally loyal to Ford and doesn't like the look of the Cybertruck, if they need a new truck, they will go with Tesla. Though the Cybertruck is not capable of taking a commercial bed which the Lightning is. Unless Tesla adapts and makes a work truck version of the Cybertruck that can take the standard specialty beds the other Big 3 trucks can take, Tesla is going to lose commercial sales. The private market is still pretty big.

I'm impressed with the frunk in the F150 - I'd said for a long time when speculating prior to the launch of the CyberTruck that it would be the perfect place to mount a toolbox that can be slid out on runners. But the F150 option is even better as it has power connections and plenty of room to either do as I said or use it for other options.

The CyberTruck''s frunk area looks to be sealed shut in the videos I've seen, but it would still be useful to have a frunk if possible. I think getting tools out of the bed will be more difficult than a frunk option.

1621681534550.png

At the Cybertruck unveil Tesla showed a frunk, in bed trunk like a Honda Ridgeline and sail storage.

Cybertruck has a 6.5 ft bed while Lightning has a 5.5 ft bed.

They are roughly the same length. Therefore I expect a smaller frunk in the CT.

I would be shocked and disappointed with no CT frunk.