Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could only find info stating that Mike Abbott was leaving due to health reasons. Your source stating that "his whole team from Apple to leave with him" brings into question those "health reasons".

Let's see if there are any more departures?
Yeah the whole team part was theorizing on the thread due to the team having come from Apple and retention bonus timing.

I recently test drove the 2024 Ioniq 5 and it’s a solid car IMO. Better fit and finish than my Model Y, quieter cabin and more solid ride, similar material quality, still has stalks, more customization of driver controls, but an inferior UI and no frunk or subtrunk. In my market it’s also around $10,000 less for similar specs iirc.

No rear screen which is a plus in my book.

I hope the competitors keep upping their game, especially if they remove the stalks in the Y refresh which it looks like they probably will.

In my market it’s also around $10,000 less for similar specs iirc.

Not being facetious: is that the price delta with the “actual out the door cost?”

Reason I ask: I personally know three people that tried to buy the Ionic 5 and all three cases the Hyundai dealership wanted excessive fees and surcharges that resulted in all three people walking away from it.

Not being facetious: is that the price delta with the “actual out the door cost?”

Reason I ask: I personally know three people that tried to buy the Ionic 5 and all three cases the Hyundai dealership wanted excessive fees and surcharges that resulted in all three people walking away from it.
Last time I was in the market, the way they dealt with it here was by insane wait times, but the order sheet listed was the MSRP.

I cancelled my order after 18 months and got a Y. Now the wait times appear to be closer to 6 months.

Price difference is closer now! If you’re going long range and you add the ultimate package (so you get a glass roof) then it’s around $4,000 less though it’s not 1:1 comparable.

Currently a long range AWD Ioniq 5 is going for $3,000 more than a standard range RWD Y ATM.

Last edited:
In Los Angeles Ioniq 5s are being discounted.

1710706887011.png

Fair enough, advertising $4900 under MSRP is pretty remarkable for any automaker. And considering that these were firm-priced at $4900 over MSRP just months ago, it is particularly notable.

But in the context of Tesla, now selling at $12,450 below MSRP with no threat of undercoating or LoJack scams, the $4900 Hyundai discount is a pretty meager attempt to mitigate the $10K price disparity that remains between brands.

1710737535974.png

Do they mention the size of the battery pack. It must be enormous. Seems like pretty good value.

GM calls it their 24 module "200+ kWh pack." GM has given Silverado EV RST an official 440 mile range.

Kyle Connor from EV review channel Out of Spec says he pulled 215 kWh out of the pack. Probably 230 kWh gross.

Ram Rev big pack might be a little bigger. They are saying 229 kWh and 500 mile range. If they are promising 500 I guess it means 229 kWh useable.

Reactions: fhteagle
I might add that normal car license is just class B. That is a maximum of 3500kg for vehicle including load. That is a European standard, you need class C1 intended for heavy trucks with Gross weight upto 7500kg to be able to drive this Silverado in Europe. The cost of taking the C1 license is around $2200-$2500 in Norway depending on if you can manage with minimum amount of lessons. So unless you do commercial truck driving as a hobby (pretty unusual) or as a job you'll do fine with a B license. So the market for this monster is not very large in Europe, compared to the Cybertruck that is below the magical 3500kg limit.

So the market for this monster is not very large in Europe, compared to the Cybertruck that is below the magical 3500kg limit.

The Cybertruck front fascia/hood doesn't meet European pedestrian safety standards.

Tesla is not modifying the Cybertruck to pass European standards. Therefore the market in Europe is Zero.

Elon said at some point they will make a smaller pickup compatible with markets outside North America.

The Cybertruck front fascia/hood doesn't meet European pedestrian safety standards.

Tesla is not modifying the Cybertruck to pass European standards. Therefore the market in Europe is Zero.

Elon said at some point they will make a smaller pickup compatible with markets outside North America.
Are you sure about that? The F150 is legal in Europe and with it's increased height of the front compared to the Cybertruck it will make just as much mush of any pedestrain as the Cybertruck I imagine. I have seen lots of people say this but I haven't actually seen anyone refer to any legal founding for why the Cybertruck isn't legal in Europe.
Though the size of the Cybertruck as well as the F150 does strictly limit the market in Europe. The little pickup market there is in Europe likes the Ford Ranger size or even smaller pickups.

Are you sure about that? The F150 is legal in Europe and with it's increased height of the front compared to the Cybertruck it will make just as much mush of any pedestrain as the Cybertruck I imagine. I have seen lots of people say this but I haven't actually seen anyone refer to any legal founding for why the Cybertruck isn't legal in Europe.
Though the size of the Cybertruck as well as the F150 does strictly limit the market in Europe. The little pickup market there is in Europe likes the Ford Ranger size or even smaller pickups.

The F-150 is made of aluminum. CT is made from bullet proof stainless steel. Bullet proof stainless steel is a bit harder on flesh and bones.

1712216895050.png

I was thinking maybe GM could do a Silverado EV Weissach Package.

Replace the steel hood and glass roof with aluminum or carbon fiber.

Replace the 24" wheels with lightweight 18" wheels.

Remove the bed liners.

Remove rear bench seat. Replace front Lazy Boy front seats with racing buckets.

Might necessitate the 20 module pack instead of 24 module pack.

Then if European customers wanted to reverse those changes to North American spec that is their business.