Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chevrolet Bolt sold just under 1000 cars in February.
If you correct it to 30 days, just over 1000.
Less than January with and without adjustment.

I would not over-analyze initial sales too much as delivery/production related issues (as well as pent up initial demand) can skew things either way. I would give the Bolt enough time to reach full production ramp-up before judging too much. If anyone has statistics on days of inventory for the Bolt, it would be more telling. I would imagine it is very low right now with demand outstripping supply.

wow, am actually surprised at that result. Was expecting more. Seasonality, inventory, or lack of public awareness? Those of us on the forums are pretty well informed, and I imagine that they're the first to get one, but did the early adopter pool get satisfied already? I myself would never get one (gm politics), but am saddened to see it not do better.

Edit: stopcrazypp's post makes sense.

Actually it's only several states. Hard to make anything of the numbers until it's available everywhere.

GM has been manufacturing Bolts since last October?

I thought mass production was their specialty?

And the Orion plant can produce 100k cars per year and they don't have a battery pack supply problem? That is what I read from the GM fanboys on the "electric vehicle" sub forum.

The local Chevy dealer I bought two cars from has "more than 200" Bolt EVs in stock according to their email blast last week. Their lease promo has dropped from $369/mo to $269/mo in the last 90 days with similar terms (duration, mileage, amount due at signing).

I think this will play out nationwide as Bolt EV inventory starts to reach new markets. The Bolt EV is a game-changer, but it is inherently a $20,000 car in appearance, features, and materials quality with a $20,000 battery and some very unusual seats.

If anyone can build a $40,000 EV that feels like an Audi A4 or Mercedes-Benz C-Class they will do very well in the market. That might just be Tesla but we won't know until the end of the year.

GM has been manufacturing Bolts since last October?

I thought mass production was their specialty?

And the Orion plant can produce 100k cars per year and they don't have a battery pack supply problem? That is what I read from the GM fanboys on the "electric vehicle" sub forum.

GM has been making Bolts for at least 16 months. They have a bizarre QC system that requires cars be fully functional before selling them. :D

I have zero inside information on this, but it's possible that some production was directed towards fleet vehicles for Lyft and Maven etc. which might not be counted in these retail tallies. Lyft was supposed to get early cars but nobody has reported seeing them in operation yet.

I have zero inside information on this, but it's possible that some production was directed towards fleet vehicles for Lyft and Maven etc. which might not be counted in these retail tallies. Lyft was supposed to get early cars but nobody has reported seeing them in operation yet.

These aren't registrations.

They are sales as reported by GM.

GM reports fleet and retail sales together and then usually offers a breakdown.

Hi, @McRat,

I'm curious why you don't seem to be extremely angry at GM re ignition switch nightmare; I find the behavior of the individual engineers involved, plus their QA and management processes, plus their legal department's behavior, to be outright criminal. Reports suggest 100+ deaths associated with their ignition switch, complicated by the undocumented change in the ignition switch component mid-stream, and undoubtedly aggravated by their practice of concealing the problem via settlements.

To hold GM up as a standard for quality control seems, well... surprising, at the least.

Alan

• Love
Reactions: callmesam
Hi, @McRat,

I'm curious why you don't seem to be extremely angry at GM re ignition switch nightmare; I find the behavior of the individual engineers involved, plus their QA and management processes, plus their legal department's behavior, to be outright criminal. Reports suggest 100+ deaths associated with their ignition switch, complicated by the undocumented change in the ignition switch component mid-stream, and undoubtedly aggravated by their practice of concealing the problem via settlements.

To hold GM up as a standard for quality control seems, well... surprising, at the least.

Alan

Nevermind, off topic.

Last edited:
GM has been making Bolts for at least 16 months. They have a bizarre QC system that requires cars be fully functional before selling them. :D

Advantage Bolt:
It won't require that bizarre GM Ignition Switch QC

Ignition switches have been around over 100 years now. All of them will turn off if you hang enough weight on them then bounce.

Daimler/Mercedes using the same QC system on those 100 year finely tuned Ignition switches apparently -
Maybe they're jealous of all the Fire attention others were getting--

Daimler recalling 1 million Mercedes vehicles globally due to risk of fire

Edit - more detail; sounds like a curent limiter in the starter
Mercedes to recall 1 million newer vehicles globally after 51 fires

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy