Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so basically nothing new / remotely interesting until 2027? Or am I reading this wrong?

Yes. Until then (at least) they're just going to be cell/battery customer.

Somewhat Tesla until Tesla can successful ramp 4680 in a way that gives them a broad advantage or at least makes them competitive enough with other manufacturers. Tesla's been gradually working its way down the battery component chain since its started:
1) Roadster 18650: Buy commodity cells and build a battery
2) Model S/X: Order bespoke cells and build a battery
3) Model 3/Y (Ni): Host a cell manufacturer and try to figure out some ways to improve the manufacturing process, build the battery
4) 4680: Manufacture in-house designed cells, build structural battery
5) Add lithium processing.
6) ?

Toyota's wants to catch up by leapfrogging, in the same way that Tesla leapt to Autopilot, and octovalve. Its hybrids and PHEVs buy it time in many markets with tightening emissions standards and fuel economy targets.

Last edited:
I'm surprised Nov overall sales (BEV+PHEV) were flat with Oct at ~300k. They produced 307k in Oct and 317k in Nov, so it's not a production issue. They need to deliver 317k this month to hit their (reduced) 3m full year goal. So far it seems they've just offered normal incentives, will they get more aggressive as the month progresses?

I posted a video a couple of weeks ago about the EVs just parked in fields in China. There is a ride share program there with government incentives. Scammers have bought tens of thousands of EVs on the program, but there is little demand for the ride share programs so they just dump the cars after getting the incentives. A lot of those cars are BYD.

The government incentives probably top out at some max per month or quarter, so there is no incentive for the scammers to buy more cars. The same guy who put up that video also had a video from a few months ago about EVs catching fire all over China. Chinese EVs catch fire around China daily.

I don't know if it's still the case, but someone posted an article on the forum about 5 years ago about how li-ion batteries were made in China vs other countries like South Korea, Japan, or the US. In the developed countries the production process is highly automated with precision machines doing a lot of the work. In China a lot of cells, especially those made by companies like BYD are mostly assembled by hand.

I think the article was written when Gigafactory Shanghai was under construction and Tesla/Panasonic were bucking Chinese trends putting in the western precision equipment.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Another EV skeptic in my wife’s knitting group used this story as another excuse that EVs are just too dangerous:

The most affordable pure electric vehicle on the market, the GWM (Great Wall Motors) Ora, has been recalled in New Zealand over a potential software fault that can lead to owners getting electrocuted when unplugging the car.

“Due to a programming issue, if the operator removes the charging cable without cancelling the charge, an electrical arc between the charging plug and the vehicle may occur,” reads the Ora’s recall notice issued this week in Australia.

When seen from far away or out of context, this Volvo appears rather big and boxy. But when you walk up to it or park it next to other cars, you quickly realize that it’s no larger than a Chevrolet Bolt EV. It’s a smart way to fool the eye and create illusions of proportion.

Volvo prides itself that the manufacture of the EX30 produces the least amount of CO2 than the building of any other vehicle in its history.

Inside the EX30, there are no buttons; everything on the car is operated via a centre tablet infotainment system. Rearview mirrors, driving aids and even the Performance mode, which unleashes the Twin Motor model’s full force, are controlled from that screen.

I posted a video a couple of weeks ago about the EVs just parked in fields in China. There is a ride share program there with government incentives. Scammers have bought tens of thousands of EVs on the program, but there is little demand for the ride share programs so they just dump the cars after getting the incentives.
Serpentza used to live in China and post "on the scene" videos. Since leaving he can no longer shoot original content, so he caters to the ready-made China bashing audience. As with any good troll, he spews a mix of truth and lies.

The "fields of cars" clips are from 2019. China redid their EV rules in mid- 2019, making many existing models obsolete. Lower end EV makers expected to get the new rules delayed. When that failed they were stuck with 100k++ soon-to-be-illegal EVs. They hastily "sold" them to (related-party) ride-sharing ventures. Some of these dubious ventures collapsed before they could even put the cars to use, leaving them in fields.

A lot of those cars are BYD.
The huge fields are Kandi K27s, Hozon Netas, etc. Serpentza spliced in a few seconds of 600 newly built 2021 BYDs "waiting for processing" (see white on red text at 0:12). 600 cars is about an hour's worth of BYD output today, but two years ago it was maybe half a shift's worth.

The same guy who put up that video also had a video from a few months ago about EVs catching fire all over China. Chinese EVs catch fire around China daily.
Even Teslas catch fire. There are 20 million EVs in China, of course there are fires. It's just TSLAQ-style sensationalism.

I think the article was written when Gigafactory Shanghai was under construction and Tesla/Panasonic were bucking Chinese trends putting in the western precision equipment.
Panasonic is not involved in Shanghai.

Doesn't fit neatly anywhere. Thought I would post here.

Google Searches.
1702430332081.png

Pretty sure it's just Bolt EUV with a LFP battery and updated drive unit. I expect a couple of fascia/light changes (a la Highland) to freshen the look as well.
I strongly suspect it will also have the new Google-based infotainment system and GM’s updated vehicle controller architecture which will finally enable over the air software updates to all vehicle components and not just the infotainment computer. That would mean the updated Bolt would finally have built-in charging-aware navigation.