Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blog post - Charging Is Our Priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because the number of 40 kWh cars are no more than a rounding error in Tesla's fleet and Tesla would prefer they get unlocked to 60s, if anyone even remembers they exist. It's not worth the effort to accommodate them- of all of Tesla's priorities that wouldn't make the top 1000.
I kind of wonder how many do still exist. There weren't very many made in the first place, and when they'd get traded in to Tesla they'd unlock them to 60s. So the only 40s still in the wild are either with the original owner or have changed hands only via private party sales.

Has anyone noticed that none of the cars are plugged in?
This must be the supercharger V3 - Looks exactly like the V2 but with wireless charging?!:D:p

View attachment 224276

Hey seriously....
Look at the rear window on that Model S - is it full glass like the Model 3?
There is one thin bar but that looks too small to be properly structural etc

Picture2.png

Nice to see Tesla publicly state that the Superchargers will also support those without a garage (I.e. Apartments, condos, trailer parks).

There's also a select group of people who need to drive a lot locally in a day and can't easily make it back home or if they could it would take too long.

Because the number of 40 kWh cars are no more than a rounding error in Tesla's fleet and Tesla would prefer they get unlocked to 60s, if anyone even remembers they exist. It's not worth the effort to accommodate them- of all of Tesla's priorities that wouldn't make the top 1000.

I kind of wonder how many do still exist. There weren't very many made in the first place, and when they'd get traded in to Tesla they'd unlock them to 60s. So the only 40s still in the wild are either with the original owner or have changed hands only via private party sales.

Remember that even the original 60s did not have Supercharging enabled without having to pay "extra".

Besides, I was focused on Tesla's own words: "It is extremely important to us and our mission that charging is convenient, abundant, and reliable for all owners, current and future."

Surely, the Roadster and Model S 40 and 60 are part of "all owners". ;)

I wonder how pairing will be set up in the new "several dozen" style Supercharger pavilions. Hopefully not like some other Supercharger sites I've visited, or we could be faced with this:

View attachment 224285
Wasn't there some reports of superchargers that were all full speed for each stall.

I think the new Delaware Welcome Center set-up went this way after replacing the original 4 pack that was there.

@Lanny I think I remember a tweet from you about this...

Wasn't there some reports of superchargers that were all full speed for each stall.

I think the new Delaware Welcome Center set-up went this way after replacing the original 4 pack that was there.

Newark is still marked as shared pairs - I haven't been there when it was full enough for us to see throttling from pairs so I can't comment on that.

So am I correct in thinking that the rendered site would probably be tesla owned (or controlled) real estate - and hence ICE incursion can be reduced and also they would probably be partnering with a snack shop style company like Circle K to operate the hospitality center

Maybe someone who currently operates independent gas stations and wants to 'move on'

Still cheaper than gas here in California.

That was Tesla's promise - that whatever variation in pricing there is between places, it would always be less than gas for a "comparable" ICE car. (Whatever they deem to be comparable.)

From my quick look at the pricing in various places, it mostly seems to be around 20% more than what you'd pay on a typical non time of use plan in that area.

So am I correct in thinking that the rendered site would probably be tesla owned (or controlled) real estate - and hence ICE incursion can be reduced and also they would probably be partnering with a snack shop style company like Circle K to operate the hospitality center

Maybe someone who currently operates independent gas stations and wants to 'move on'

That seems like a reasonable guess. It might also let them cut through the power availability and site cooperation challenges to get more charging out there. It's more investment, of course...

I live in the giant black hole of Tesla coverage. Some more chargers where there is already charger coverage doesn't help the us. It's an insult.

I'm sorry that you feel insulted.

I can only assume Tesla made decisions based on concentrations of owners and places they could connect to the existing web. I'm sure they'll do the Trans-Canada eventually, just like Elon promised to do the Alaska Highway someday.

If the Model 3 rolls out the way they expect, they'll have to have annual plans that are close to as big as what they just showed us, every year for a good long time.

Frankly I don't care if there are a million SC's.
Tesla needs to open more SERVICE CENTERS before adding tens of thousands of chargers.
And improve service. And ... and ... and ...
(Did I just hijack this thread???)

Yeah. If the State Legislatures and NADA allow them too. :-/

(Though like @stopcrazyapp I'm not seeing the linkage or sequencing - it's just something else Tesla needs to do over the next few years to the maximum extent they are permitted to.)

Nice to see Tesla publicly state that the Superchargers will also support those without a garage (I.e. Apartments, condos, trailer parks).

It's really a non issue now that all vehicles made have to pay for supercharging after the first free 400 kWh.

I live in the giant black hole of Tesla coverage. Some more chargers where there is already charger coverage doesn't help the us. It's an insult.

I would be insulted if Tesla built out superchargers in places where they are very few owners. There's a lot of places still to build them where they will get much more use than only serving a relatively few people in Saskatchewan. Of course, they will come to you, and right across Canada, but we have to expect they will be built where they will get the most use first, or Tesla would be insulting the majority of us, rather than just the one solitary you on this board (are there any others from SK here? If so I am sure I will hear from them now).

Last edited:
Reactions: Petra

That's what I heard but have not confirmed myself. I charged at Newark last night but didn't share a pair with any of the three other cars there.