TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

tesla blue star

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by stevebalmmer, Apr 19, 2009.

1. stevebalmmer

stevebalmmer Member

hallo tesla fans! I would want sometimes questions whether somebody has infos about blue star. From tesla I get none infos. I show the car becomes quite first in 2014 on the market comes, but this car would be something for my Famile. Also the price of approx. 30,000 dollars, would feel well. Is there also tesla fans from Germany here?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I think the information you have is about all that anyone knows right now. The focus is clearly on the Model S at this point. I think the future of the Blue Star is highly dependent upon the Model S being successful. So we're unlikely to hear much, if anything, about the Blue Star until the Model S is released.

3. Takumi

Takumi Member

4. graham

graham Active Member

While not the Blue Star per se, the Electric Smart that Tesla is partnered with Daimler to make is somewhat close in spirit to what they hope the Blue Star will be.

5. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

Takumi, search results are temporary and so that URL does work.

For BlueStar info, go to the future-cars forum section and look for "Blue".

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I suspect Tesla's vision would seat 4 and have a more conventional 4 door size & shape. The Smart is great, but it is a bit on the impractical side as a mainstream car. Also it doesn't have the full Tesla "cool factor" in the design.

Something more this size:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

hmm.. that article looks pretty old

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, but they don't talk a lot about "Blue Star" much so you have to go back a bit to find some more relevant quotes.

Targeting $20-$30K is encouraging.

Tesla's recent point about fuel cost savings making the car effectively less expensive (compared to a gas car) is a good one. The problem is people see the purchase price more clearly than the long term savings from not using gasoline. The Better Place idea of owning the car but effectivly leasing the battery makes sense for an even less expensive vehicle that could turn out to undercut even the least expensive gas cars. You know how we feel about leasing after what happened with the EV1, but some people can't afford to buy a battery pack even on a low end vehicle.

The Roadster and Model S don't really compete with the Better Place plan (although they might like to have access to better place chargers), but the plans for "Blue Star" start to mesh with Better Place as both companies try to serve the true mainstream.

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

From the NYT here:

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#11 TEG, May 2, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
    Mini Clubman is bigger than a Smart but still small.

Will they do half rear doors like on the Clubman and Rx-8?
    mini_clubman.jpg
    [​IMG]

11. EVnut

EVnut Darell, the EVnut

I agree that an E-Smart swings the pendulum too far in the small direction. Maybe a micro car can be the follow-on "Black Star." My big hope was for a small mid-size vehicle - something in the Civic to Prius range. But then nobody really asked me, did they? ;)

Something with the interior size of the Mini Clubman would be great. For me, the S is just too damn big, and the Smart is too damn small. I need Goldilocks' car!

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Something the size of the MiEV?
    3494279079_56e5d398c8.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

#14 WarpedOne, May 2, 2009
    Last edited: May 2, 2009
    No.
    Model S is a large saloon, next smaller step is a midsize saloon or a 5-door hatchback. Fiat Bravo, Renault Megane, Mazda 3, Toyota Auris, Honda CIvic. Such cars are very popular in Europe, I guess they aren't so popular in USA ...

MeEV, Yaris, Mazda2 and similar 4 wheeled abominations cause mental illness.

14. Chris H.

Chris H. Member

In "Elonspeak" that means $37,400.00, minus the Fed rebate...

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Well, I think the mini Clubman that the NYT article mentioned is closer to MiEV/Yaris/Mazda2 then it is to Bravo/Megane/Civic, etc.

Also the Smart that Graham mentioned is even smaller still.

I agree that it would be best if it were larger than Smart and Mini (even the Clubman).

Around here the Smart and Mini are really niche vehicles, whereas cars like the Civic, Corolla, & Mazda3 are the big sellers.

Perhaps just an 8/10th scale Model S.

16. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

To sell they need something designed like the Prius. Small outside, capacious inside, aerodynamic, family oriented with decent cargo capacity. There are a million cute little uber-golf carts out there and on the horizon, but if Tesla's going to be taken seriously as a real car maker they have to build cars that real, mainstream, people want to buy.

17. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

WarpedOne - those sized cars are pretty popular in the US too. I think if Tesla do make the bluestar smaller than say a BMW 3 series, they are missing the most popular segment. I think there is still a long way to go...

18. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

I agree, only that 3-series is still a sedan and that rear boot is nothing to write home about. Tesla already has a roadster, we hope they will have a large sport saloon. To really widen their portfolio they need something that is really different, not only of different size. Like a midsized hatchback. I really like that Fiat Bravo design, I'd say it would be perfect in e-Bravo form with a little added luxury. :)

19. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Well with Franz at the helm, we should get something aesthetically-pleasing, even if it's not the size everyone hopes for. That guy is like a goose, and he's found the perfect nest to lay his golden eggs.

Most conventional companies (like the ones he worked for) tend to shy away from concept designs that are edgy when it comes to production. So far, the Model S is edgy, yet conservative (and classy) enough to make it to market relatively unchanged from the current design.